Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
[Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF (/thread-7256.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - Nickster258 - 08-27-2015

It's crossplot because it is taking up space across many plots.

RE: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - ddthj - 12-16-2015

Bumping this thread because Sauce added some great information, and more would be appreciated!

RE: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - Chibill - 12-16-2015

Sad

RE: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - PabloDons - 12-16-2015

cool

RE: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - RetiredFromLife - 12-19-2015

Got linked to this on Reddit, and I must say this is a decent account of history as far as the UTD and RDF go. Not super familiar with the ORE but it seems to be quite a large community. I'm the original founder of the UTD, originally the URC.

A few details are wrong or omitted, but still good to know people give a damn about history.

Corrections:

-It's worth noting that both the RDF and the UTD had their own forums, for a time. The RDF's was far, far larger and more polished, the UTD simply didn't have anyone left effective at website and graphic design by the time the forum was constructed, very, very late in the game.

-The UTD was not simply a server, rather just a group. In fact, many projects were built offline. Our server was primarily for showcases, very large projects, and just dicking around. At our peak we had over 100 members, and the majority of them did produce or assist in a project. Others managed co-operation with other modmakers and relations with the public. Our greatest engineer was actually a player who never stepped foot on any of our servers and would simply mail the schematics to me.

-The UTD broke up primarily because of one conflict. The UTD had a system of distributed power, there were many approximately six to eight admins that served the function of a council. Whoever was around at the time, typically 3-4 people would be in charge of decisions, due to the nature of how difficult it is to organize a hundred people in different time zones. I, as founder, was the Head Admin. I had the same powers, but no vote could take place without me present. This worked until our server host, Hyphurr, staged a coup, and essentially blackmailing me. I took it to the council to expel this member, the vote was 2-1, to keep him. Things never went well after that, our reputation was tarnished by this members blowup and following drama.

-Essentially all of the founders of the RDF came from UTD, in that list there are about 3 or 4 names I cannot recognize. I would say the reason for the split was not necessarily a difference in ideas, but rather miscommunication. I had great respect for Berick and Zaldarr, the two I remember most vividly. However, I always did sense a slight feeling of disrespect from them. I was young, and struggling with depression. My redstone abilities are adequate, but not remarkable. Perhaps they just felt they could do it better. I was perhaps bitter for a while, but not in a strictly serious way.

Additional Info:

I would describe the relationship between the RDF and UTD as competitive. We just each tried to do it better than the other. There were disputes over ownership, projects released by people who left from the RDF had to be settled by the admins of Project Minecraft, where we both hosted our files. After that was sorted, we entered a competitive relationship, rather than one of bitterness. I would say the RDF shined in producing much more polished projects, where the UTD's redstone machines, build projects, and even cannons were often huge, highly technical, and applying the "bigger and more powerful" is better. We at one point even had a 128 bit computer in the works that never got finished, would have been the first of its kind in Minecraft. A shame really.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting read!

RE: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - ddthj - 12-21-2015

Thanks so much for the info!

RE: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - jxu - 01-15-2017

I'm kinda suprised there was no mention of our minor rivalry between TheVoxelBox before they died. Also we used to have PvP matches of NAIL (really old map) hosted by Alex or someone. Here's an album I compiled of old screenshots. I have many great memories of this server and I used to spend maybe 2-8 hours online every day (mostly AFK or chatting). You can see how active our server used to be (12 or more people was the norm) and the old users I used to talk a lot with. 

https://imgur.com/a/LKM3I 240+ screenshots from 2012-2015 with brief comments.

Featured:

- Old players and kinda cringey chats (Virt, Red, Newo, and others)
- My trial
- My RDF and ORE plots, including my tunnel system red dug out
- PROP (come back pls)
- Lots of people's plots, including Newo
- Survival CPU and iterations of MethLab
- The origins of ORE as an experimental alternative to RDF
- Me when I was younger and cuter instead of bitter sad me now

RE: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - Nickster258 - 01-15-2017

Damn, I barely remember that survival CPU.

RE: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - Chibill - 01-17-2017

I remember that CPU! I also remember NAIL! Fun times!!!! Only one pic there with my name in it. Tongue

RE: [Help Needed] History of ORE and the RDF - Nickster258 - 01-18-2017

The NAIL days were fun. I remember that there was some push by some of us to get then administration to setup a NAIL server.