Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor (/thread-5442.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - Apocryphan - 01-01-2015

I couldn't think of 1 particular thing to focus on, so this will just be a mega post with all the pieces, eventually i'll put together my word processor but I keep jumping back and forth between pieces whenever i think of an improvement.

In this thread:
Hex Ascii keyboard
Hex Rom with Ascii input and 4 hex output
4 hex to 16 bit converter for the display
Stackable, 2-way shifting, hex memory cells
16 bit pipeline
4 hex to pipeline encoders/decoders

Hex Ascii keyboard

[Image: CDSyTWN.gif]
[Image: 7906YqW.png]

Top left will be a directional pad and some similiar functions.
Top right will be a numpad with a num lock option to change it to a 2nd D-pad, and red is Caps Lock, bottom buttons are Letters.

Hex Rom with Ascii input and 4 hex output

[Image: POKg03z.png]

This Rom takes 2 hex values to read (8,0) to (15,15).
I have the first value adjusted to +8 so i can use the 4th bit as a constant to trigger. The rom can be arranged in a few different ways. I still haven't finished all the coding on the this, just upper and lower case letters, i just havent programmed the numbers, symbols and extras in yet, i may end up disconnecting the 0 rom from the output and using it to trigger the different shifts and functions.

[Image: rc4DjRw.png]
[Image: JGlSkKb.png]

Cheat Sheet

[Image: YZgt0am.png]

4 hex to 16 bit converter for the display

[Image: V1W9Os0.png]

16 segment display was inspired by Koala_Steamed, i just studied his and made it 2 blocks shorter and added a cursor between each alphanumeric character.

[Image: LpLqxzf.png]

I just use 4 of my stackable hex to binary converters to write to the 16 segment

Stackable, 2-way shifting, hex memory cells

[Image: 4o23yAB.png]

1st version is on top, I actually messed up when counting spaces between inputs and its 1 too wide, the new version on bottom fixes that and i switched shift wires so the "space bar" shift is on the input side since it is triggered every input.

[Image: ldbyESG.png]

16 bit pipeline

[Image: 8Ucfwgn.png]

Working on making a T-Pipe to split inputs/outputs, so i can use multiplie serial bussers on each pipe. Was also thinking about that dick thread, and how easy I could make a dick using ROM balls and the pipeline for a shaft, my dick could even have a hook on the end...

4 hex to pipeline encoders and decoders

[Image: TvxX4La.png]
[Image: HoEVNGv.png]

since the decoder has a delay before the output is proper, i added a shutter to stop the signal until its ready to send.

[Image: EoHNG9X.png]

Gold blocks are the outputs converted back to hexadecimal, emerald blocks are the "ground" so to speak. any value input into the emerald will be subtracted from the gold output, allowing for a cancel signal.

RE: Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - Magic :^) - 01-01-2015

(01-01-2015, 03:21 AM)Apocryphan Wrote: my dick could even have a hook on the end...

+rep, very classy

RE: Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - Legofreak - 01-01-2015

ive wanted to do hex ascii for a long time but ive just been too lazy. neat stuff.

RE: Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - Apocryphan - 01-26-2015

Fyi, when i was making the keyboard at first i wanted to have the same layout as the standard but if you look closely there is a pattern, its' in alphabetic order a to z and the shift to uppercase just adjusts the first value by 2. This and a few other symbols only comprise the bottom half of the rom, and numbers only take up one of the top (i haven't done it yet, been lazy) so 3 of the top roms dont have to lead into the display and probably can be cut into 1/4th the size by having it output a single wire to the function rather than having 4 hex outputs, so then if your wondering why half the rom is empty, sorry, its only supposed to be 5/8th empty, ill program numbers and functions sooo. i will be changing the 6 tick throughput dropper/hopper design for my new 2 tick throughput design also.

RE: Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - LordDecapo - 01-26-2015

great progress for sure! And I like how you organize your posts, gives the full over view with out having to go in game.

RE: Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - Apocryphan - 02-03-2015

I got to a fork in the road on my calculator and needed some time to ponder it, so I went back to this and overhauled some pieces using my 2 tick shifter, I still have to apply this to a few other builds such as the hard drive.

Shortened the wires on my 16 segment display and removed the repeaters

[Image: ysm9IJh.png]

[Image: hpzWt6t.png]

I would like to make a 2 tall stackable hex to binary that is sync, it's not really pertinent for the word processor since the 4 hex are stored, but I have an idea for a scrolling text bar using a rom or 2 and one of my specialty clocks to unload it, was also looking to make a 4 frame animation for a loading symbol in the corner. but the current decoder takes a few ticks to convert so it wouldn't be a smooth transition between frames, but hey at least it looks cool when it's calculating the bits, so at least it has that going for it =/

2 tick throughput ROM for my Ascii rom

[Image: 3mWvx1a.png]

[Image: wGdSTv7.png]

this ROM output isn't synced, i don't think my current vision of this Word requires it to be that fast unless I add a save/load function.

[Image: uP3PZSb.png]

The synced version sticks out only 2 blocks further and outputs in the middle instead of the end.

[Image: kD4m1dD.png]

And there is always a solid state option but I haven't condensed that yet, the outputs are staggered up and down to allow for hold wires and the selection range is adjusted to 3 instead of 1, so your desired output is the middle and the holds on each side are turned off, allowing the hopper value to output.

Faster Router and Different Serial bus decoding method

[Image: vcIW0ra.png]

on the left is the same basic hex serial busser for sending 2 values, in the middle is a decoder that i originally used for my hard drive before I could send and recieve 0's, but for this the second digit can be 0, by sending a tracer to the 0 which will be triggered by the first digit. this basically chops off 1 wire after 2 ticks and opens the other after 2 ticks, so if you have a 3rd digit, you could split it again or just chop the 2nd wire off after 2 ticks also. This decoder keeps the signals staggered, whereas the trigger decoder pulls all the signals simultaneously.

on the right is the router, prior versions used my hopper/dropper selector which took 6 ticks and required you to delay the signal until the selector opened the gate. This takes 1 tick to balance to the proper output, along with the 2 tick stagger, there is very little delay needed before sending it through, damn near instant.

[Image: yziyioN.png]

Ironically, this is not the first time i've used this trick, before my dropper/hopper hex to bin converter my first sync decoder used this rollback trick to loop in from the other end and turn off the other side. I've just come full circle making it faster.

[Image: 0SOpONA.png]

with a 1-tick balancing memory on it you don't need the inversion comparator.

[Image: wtti4De.png]

if you ever get bored just play with it, stretch it out maybe, she's flexible, just no slabs on output line because the signal must travel both ways. And if you're really bored, I bet pablodons dick could fit, mine wouldn't even touch the sides tho... #CompactProblems

[Image: VYYAcGk.png]

Might as well throw this in too, on the left is yet another version of a balancing selector with the memory on it, I call it the slide-whistle model. The 7 segment i hope to somehow encode with it, I'm thinking maybe make the slide-whistle into a small 2 hex output rom and then convert and use 7 of the bits. just a thought.

RE: Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - martinthewarrior - 02-04-2015

ok wow i that i was doing so cool stuff but i guess not this is the most awesome thing ive seen so far but i did just start on this forum 20 mins ago. great job figuring this stuff out!!

RE: Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - Apocryphan - 02-04-2015

Thanks, I'm hoping to inspire others to use comparators.

Might as well post an update, pic since i'm bumping.

[Image: qoP6DQu.png]

added 2 selectors for the 2nd digits 0 and 1, so it has 32 available commands and 96 characters, I couldn't use all keyboard characters so i made other symbols instead.

RE: Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - Legofreak - 02-04-2015

I just made a container ROM inspired by your design... now i just need to think of something fun to do with it...

RE: Some Hexadecimal Components I've been making for a word processor - Apocryphan - 02-04-2015

I bet it's gonna be sweet.