Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Unacceptable. - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Unacceptable. (/thread-4028.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Unacceptable. - Cutlassw30 - 07-11-2014

Ok this is getting really bad what the fuck is this RDF 2.0? Rarely are there admins on and when they are people don't get trialed and when there is no admins on people get fucking stupid and idiotic in chat.

Also I've noticed something rather alarming. The public image of ORE is fucking terrible, we give the the finger to new people who join the server or post applications on the forums. Instances of this would be when when a new person joins the server they get treated like dirt. Admins really never help them out and are often afk or "busy". Yes im talking to you tyler, greatgamer, and embizone you never help out new visitors on the server and often shun them completely.

Just look at the recent applications greatgamer telling people to "read this skrub" and "did you even try? k bye" How about a nice "this is not accepted" and give more information rather than acting like a jack ass.

The effect of all of this can be seen really well by looking at the application posts for stym's server where guys like jmking and gtaguy have moved onto styms. I think we need new active admins and the old ones should be removed because they are serving no purpose other than to have fancy fucking prefixes on there name.

I like ORE and I would not like it to turn into RDF 2. Admins like guy and prop where really nice when talking to people and where not such assholes. Granted with my past I should not be talking but I'm not an admin and admins should respect people.

RE: Unacceptable. - tyler569 - 07-11-2014

I actually agree with much of this, I've been pushing for a new admin election recently and have been trying to talk to my fellow admins (yes this means you great - I believe we've already had this conversation once) about forum etiquette. Much of my ORE time these days is working on converting the server's amenities to UUID compatible solutions for 1.7.9/10/1.8, but once that happens I'll be able to be much more personable.

RE: Unacceptable. - PNWMan - 07-11-2014

I feel cut is right about this, and that old, inactive, or unwanting staff members should be demoted. I also feel possibly a new rank should be included, a [Moderator]. Feel free to change the name, idc. But this new rank would not have full staff privileges such as console access, social spy, high-trust things like that. However, they would have the ability to accept applications and possibly promote to student (possibly only student and not member??) and also do a trial. I've seen 1 instance where a member (greatgamer to be specific, not a staff member at the time) was chosen to do the trial. I mean, is accepting an application a ridiculously hard and dangerous thing to do? And are most members so stupid they can't even oversee and judge a trial? The answer to both these questions is unquestionably NO. However, not just any member should be given this new rank, only members who have shown that they are trustworthy for a while.

Students-to-be and members-to-be are frustrated at this process taking days when it could literally take 5 minutes to accept an application, and for visitors to become students. These are not hard tasks, and should not require 1 of the few active staff to complete. This is why I suggest we add a new rank, the [Moderator].

RE: Unacceptable. - tyler569 - 07-11-2014

That's a good thought PNW, and I'll go post a community vote to canvass opinions on this idea.

RE: Unacceptable. - newomaster - 07-11-2014

I agree wholeheartedly with cut. Forum moderation... moderation in general has certainly slacked over the years.

Possible solutions:
-Recycle admins. We do this already but we have become rather lenient on it. An admin inactive for more than two weeks should be replaced by a more active one.
-Introduce new chat and forum moderators. Basically, read this thread:
http://forum.openredstone.org/showthread.php?tid=4029

-Introduce new chat plugins for anti swearing and caps (Stym's server has a good example of this. It works well).
-Moderate forums more: Delete inappropriate posts, move/delete threads, give warning levels, etc.
-Make the application system more visitor friendly. Options for this include: Add a visitor accessible freebuild, rewrite the application and trial guides to give the visitor a better idea of what they're expected to do, Merge build and school applications (Perhaps a "Which server are you applying for" field in the application"), include some admin-written "sample applications" in the Read before Posting thread which demonstrate adequate application length and content.
-Keep our admins consistent on our standards of applications and trial.

RE: Unacceptable. - jxu - 07-11-2014

One issue I see that is particularly worrying is the large amounts of admins/staff who are AFK or even not present. I am not on the server 24/7 but embizone, magazorb and greatgamer stand out (not uniquely, I just can't be sure of others right now). The staff should have a minimum amount of time to spend online active every day.

I also believe staff should be active redstone builders. The position that has the power of pex and trialing should be complimented with someone who has a knowledge of redstone. This means brittany (if she is still staff), mort, xeo, edevil, etc. I apologize if I listed someone who's not staff or does actively build, but since build is down it's hard to judge.

Another issue is the lack of communication between users and staff. In fact, even in the staff there is a divide between the staff who "run" the server/plugins (i.e. xeo, mort) and those who don't (greatgamer, DJ8X, etc.) I feel like much of the server/plugins staff see the users as completely unable to ever participate in the server running process.

RE: Unacceptable. - Iceglade - 07-11-2014

I do think that the most important thing to do even beyond moderation changes is visitor accommodation. What percentage of visitors currently post an application, get it denied, and never return? I'd say it's higher than 90%. In the end, if we want to secure any indefinite future for ORE we have to stop "wasting" all the potential members that may need no more than a little nudge in the right direction. I think moderation changes, trial changes, visitor freebuild*, etc. all come down to this theme of accommodating visitors like the open server we claim to be.

*If it were my decision, I'd start with a freebuild. Most of the visitors that join once and leave do so because they, well, can't do anything.

RE: Unacceptable. - jxu - 07-11-2014

While a freebuild might help visitors stay on our server, I don't think it will help them want to become members.

Also, how come many veteran RDF members have time to visit these forums, but not time to build??

RE: Unacceptable. - Iceglade - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 10:20 PM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote: While a freebuild might help visitors stay on our server, I don't think it will help them want to become members.

If you stay on the server and have the ability to build and talk with the community, I completely imagine that will instill some drive to become a member (especially if the process is easier and less unbelievably exclusive).

RE: Unacceptable. - PNWMan - 07-12-2014

I agree with, uh... random symbols? that members are completely capable of running the server. Many members have extensive knowledge of internet and server running concepts, while some staff don't. The primary goal of staff should be to run the server and keep the flow ranks among people moving, which could be alleviated partially off the staff with a moderator/foreman. Some staff fall short on one or even both of those goals, and possibly should be demoted to moderator/foreman if they are unable to handle these responsibilities. This doesn't mean they are irresponsible, for say, they just may not be able to be online as often or they don't have the knowledge of how to.

Staff training other staff is a VITAL part of server maintenance. When is OREUtils coming out? Probably not soon if the knowledgeable staff don't train the others of how to accomplish this.