Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
When's a good time to apply for build? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: School Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: When's a good time to apply for build? (/thread-11100.html)

When's a good time to apply for build? - zuzivian - 10-17-2016

I've working through bennyscube's material and making tweaks to his CPU tutorial as I go along (in tandem with the computing class that I'm taking).

When would it be an appropriate time to apply for the build server? I noticed that the quality of submitted projects ranges from 4-bit RCAs to the full CPU/original game/custom creations.

Is there a well defined place where you say, hey, you've gotten there, and it's time to apply?

RE: When's a good time to apply for build? - LambdaPI - 10-17-2016

I would say that its time to apply when you have a decent amount of knowledge about redstone, logic, and other stuff. So, if you can build an RCA ALU from memory and explain it thoughrouly as well as show all of the gates, then its time to apply. So basically when you are ready.

Btw do u speedcube?

RE: When's a good time to apply for build? - zuzivian - 10-17-2016

(10-17-2016, 03:12 AM)LambdaPI Wrote: I would say that its time to apply when you have a decent amount of knowledge about redstone, logic, and other stuff. So, if you can build an RCA ALU from memory and explain it thoughrouly as well as show all of the gates, then its time to apply. So basically when you are ready.

Great - I'm not quite there yet but I'll keep working at it.

Quote:Btw do u speedcube?

Yes I do. My PB is about 11.34 seconds but that was many years ago. Right now with a week of practice I can get down to a sub-17 average of 12.

RE: When's a good time to apply for build? - LambdaPI - 10-17-2016

Dang average of sub 17
I get an average of. 20 seconds

RE: When's a good time to apply for build? - PaukkuPalikka - 10-17-2016

Or you could just use petrus
Like me

But yeah I agree with Lambda. Also knowing 2's complement well will help you.

RE: When's a good time to apply for build? - zuzivian - 10-18-2016

(10-17-2016, 10:55 PM)PaukkuPalikka Wrote: Or you could just use petrus
Like me

But yeah I agree with Lambda. Also knowing 2's complement well will help you.

Petrus gave me a headache last i tried it, so I stuck to cfop

And yeah 2's comp is no issue - right now I just need to figure the redstone implementation end of things.

RE: When's a good time to apply for build? - LambdaPI - 10-18-2016

kk good luck Big Grin

RE: When's a good time to apply for build? - RedMiner - 10-26-2016

when you have knowledge Tongue

RE: When's a good time to apply for build? - Mandelbrot_86 - 10-04-2017

(10-17-2016, 03:12 AM)LambdaPI Wrote: I would say that its time to apply when you have a decent amount of knowledge about redstone, logic, and other stuff. So, if you can build an RCA ALU from memory and explain it thoughrouly as well as show all of the gates, then its time to apply. So basically when you are ready.

Wow. Then I'm pretty far along too. I know my gates inside and out and can probably build an RCA ALU without much issue given enough free time. I still need to teach myself redstone flip flops so I can build registers. Sadly, I probably won't be able to finish this week due to my laptop's fan crapping out... What components and functions do you think one might need to build into an ALU to demonstrate a good amount of knowledge? Right now I've only built an adder/subtractor with comparison readings in subtract mode on the school server, but I've been diagramming Binary to BCD decoders in my down time (since my laptop is out of commission until I get my new fan). But do I even need to make a 7 seg display before applying to Build? Looking at the stuff on the build server, I felt like I was way behind, but maybe I'm expecting too much of myself?

RE: When's a good time to apply for build? - LambdaPI - 10-07-2017

You might be expecting too much. Most of the stuff you see you can learn while being builder. Also don't bump old threads please.