Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
The beginning of the end for ORE? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: The beginning of the end for ORE? (/thread-2055.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: The beginning of the end for ORE? - Epic_SkyPilot - 01-19-2014

(01-19-2014, 11:49 AM)Iceglade Wrote: I disagree as much as I agree. First of all, the server certainly has its changed side. But we're not done yet. I still see people all the time working on big projects, helping each other with redstone...

The community has not changed a bit. Not at all. We're still the people we were, and it's only a few individuals that are changing. We get five to ten new visitors every day, and we're generally at this point the second, third MOST respected redstone server out there. More learning happens on school than in many real life classrooms, and our innovation levels are peaking.

As for administration, I'm honestly not sure. I wouldn't be wholly opposed to giving Epic staff, however another option is to have another election, with HEAVY reviewing of each nominee so as to elect a staff or two that is active and truly cares for the community, which Epic does and I think a few others do as well.

But basically I'm saying, don't give up! We're growing as much as we're falling... and I hope that some administrative change could happen and bring us out of this small ditch.

P.S. I just thought of something... remember, don't let happenings on a Minecraft server change you as a person. We are so much more, but in the end we're less important than real life and our own true personalities.

This is exactly my point ice. The school server has improved greatly since I started putting time into it. I know for a FACT that I'm teaching more than anyone else. Almost every time I log onto the school, I have students that start talking to me immediately, asking if they could be taught because they've been waiting for me. I'm normally modest, but nobody's appreciating my work so I have to appreciate it myself.

Me and a staff member has a very nice conversation yesterday, and he recognized everything I've done for the school. That's the only time I've gotten any recognition for it, and if I shared his name you'd be surprised, because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to disagree with a great staff member I know you respect. But I don't want to put them in an awkward situation, so I'll keep it to myself.

To put it simply ice, you're an exact example of what I'm talking about. I'm not even RECOGNIZED for my work on the school, and you're obviously no exception. I need my name cleared now. This is damn oppression, I try to make a post about everything I've been holding in for this last month and I'm still getting this belittling response from people.

Just please show me a tiny bit a respect ice. I've helped the school immensely, and I'm through with being modest about it. I'll continue working nonetheless, but I gotta tell you that it isn't right that you "wholly oppose" me being staff. I guess everyone's opinions about me are clear now. I'll just stick to the school, because at least my students fucking appreciate everything I do.

(01-19-2014, 02:45 PM)redstonewarrior Wrote: ORE is a community, with a self elected staff group with the resources and knowhow to host and moderate a few "official ORE" services. I'd say ORE's fine, that you'd like staff to clean up chat, that you'd like cut banned (probable future), and would like a staff reboot.

Staff members get lazy. It's part of the job, and it happens to even the most fervent of newcomers. Although they have moderation abilities, they have them every hour of day, every day of the year, and so on. You get lazy. It's the same old ORE chat, and you can lose the balance between mod and friend. Staff inactivity was one of the battles we had to fight on the RDF, but all in all, ORE's structured differently (I may post an explanation on how inactivity is a problem, but is less deadly here.) When staff as a whole gets lazy, that is when applications build up, server changes get queued, and chat goes unmoderated. This is the majority of the problem right now. Staff grew to accommodate the winter break's member onslaught, and now has to shrink (dropping inactive members) back to the school season skeleton crew. Beyond that, it needs to add more active members of the community, to keep around the clock staff availability feasible.
I'd wholeheartedly recommend any seemly mature, active, and willing member of the community to staff, but I recommend they learn more about staff before charging in. ORE's staff was put together to service the ORE community, specifically by maintaining and moderating the services, and by picking directions for the server to go in.
For cut, he has been given multiple opportunities to redeem himself, and probably won't get another one. I understand your disappointment at some staff member's response. Before you get out your pitchfork and torch, consider what I said above. We're currently dealing with cut's case, though I'm not sure we're going to enforce stricter rules on chat in general.

Remember, ORE's staff only serves ORE. We set up and maintain servers and beg around for servertime. (ORE's servers are all hosted by staff members currently, but there is no rule saying this must be so. We also maintain the servers, so hosts don't need to worry themselves.) If someone wants to set up a server, we help them. If anyone's interested in, say, a chat group, we help them connect it to OREServerChat. I understand your frustrations, but be kind. Volunteers get busy, and staff's shrinking for the season.

Quick edit:
This post is not a final answer, nor does it explain what we're currently doing. I'd recommend some further conversation.

I'd appreciate talking about this sometime soon. Nobody understands me, and I'm terribly misunderstood. That's probably not of your concern though. Regardless, I would like to talk soon

RE: The beginning of the end for ORE? - Iceglade - 01-19-2014

...what? I don't wholly oppose anything in this thread; my post literally said that I am AGREEING with you. But screw my opinion (and everybody else's too), right? I just won't post here anymore I guess...

RE: The beginning of the end for ORE? - Guy1234567890 - 01-19-2014

Ok could we have a 2-3 sentence synopsis of this thread to prevent any extraneous discussion?

RE: The beginning of the end for ORE? - Iceglade - 01-19-2014

I don't want to make any synopsis, as potentially misrepresenting opinions isn't something I do. <-<-

EDIT: I feel like elaborating before I just lie back so here we go.

A. QUOTE ME (Iceglade): "I'm NOT wholly opposed to giving Epic staff, however another possible course is an election" Please read the critical parts of a post before you respond...

B. When did I ever, ever, ever, ever, EVERR discredit what you've been doing on school? You are a part of this community, and I respect what you've been doing! But you are not the only teacher! When trying to make an argument that you're being discredited, don't discredit an ENTIRE COMMUNITY of teachers in the process.

I'm sorry for not sugarcoating, that's my view, goodbye.

RE: The beginning of the end for ORE? - Chibill - 01-19-2014

(01-19-2014, 02:45 PM)redstonewarrior Wrote: ORE is a community, with a self elected staff group with the resources and knowhow to host and moderate a few "official ORE" services. I'd say ORE's fine, that you'd like staff to clean up chat, that you'd like cut banned (probable future), and would like a staff reboot.

Staff members get lazy. It's part of the job, and it happens to even the most fervent of newcomers. Although they have moderation abilities, they have them every hour of day, every day of the year, and so on. You get lazy. It's the same old ORE chat, and you can lose the balance between mod and friend. Staff inactivity was one of the battles we had to fight on the RDF, but all in all, ORE's structured differently (I may post an explanation on how inactivity is a problem, but is less deadly here.) When staff as a whole gets lazy, that is when applications build up, server changes get queued, and chat goes unmoderated. This is the majority of the problem right now. Staff grew to accommodate the winter break's member onslaught, and now has to shrink (dropping inactive members) back to the school season skeleton crew. Beyond that, it needs to add more active members of the community, to keep around the clock staff availability feasible.
I'd wholeheartedly recommend any seemly mature, active, and willing member of the community to staff, but I recommend they learn more about staff before charging in. ORE's staff was put together to service the ORE community, specifically by maintaining and moderating the services, and by picking directions for the server to go in.
For cut, he has been given multiple opportunities to redeem himself, and probably won't get another one. I understand your disappointment at some staff member's response. Before you get out your pitchfork and torch, consider what I said above. We're currently dealing with cut's case, though I'm not sure we're going to enforce stricter rules on chat in general.

Remember, ORE's staff only serves ORE. We set up and maintain servers and beg around for servertime. (ORE's servers are all hosted by staff members currently, but there is no rule saying this must be so. We also maintain the servers, so hosts don't need to worry themselves.) If someone wants to set up a server, we help them. If anyone's interested in, say, a chat group, we help them connect it to OREServerChat. I understand your frustrations, but be kind. Volunteers get busy, and staff's shrinking for the season.

Quick edit:
This post is not a final answer, nor does it explain what we're currently doing. I'd recommend some further conversation.

If you need hosting for something me and himehowareu could help we just got a new server with 8GB of ram and a simple Pentuim 3 CPu (upgradeable to i7) but yeah. This is not the end but a new begining.

And maybe you need sometime to cool down like cut.

RE: The beginning of the end for ORE? - Epic_SkyPilot - 01-20-2014

(01-19-2014, 10:48 PM)Iceglade Wrote: I don't want to make any synopsis, as potentially misrepresenting opinions isn't something I do. <-<-

A. QUOTE ME (Iceglade): "I'm NOT wholly opposed to giving Epic staff, however another possible course is an election" Please read the critical parts of a post before you respond...

B. When did I ever, ever, ever, ever, EVERR discredit what you've been doing on school? You are a part of this community, and I respect what you've been doing! But you are not the only teacher! When trying to make an argument that you're being discredited, don't discredit an ENTIRE COMMUNITY of teachers in the process.

My sincerest apologies ice, I just read that wrong. I was upset while I was reading it. Again, I'm really sorry :/ now that I know what you said, I really appreciate the reply

You did however misunderstand what I was saying about me being discredited. It's no argument that there aren't a lot of dedicated teachers here that teach students, and I simply stated that I'm one of them. In fact, I LISTED more other than myself. So if you want to try and stuff words in my mouth, next time make sure YOU read everything I said before you reply. Let's not get hostile, I overreacted earlier and I apologize for that but now we're just misunderstanding each other.

(01-19-2014, 10:48 PM)Iceglade Wrote: I don't want to make any synopsis, as potentially misrepresenting opinions isn't something I do. <-<-

My sincerest apologies ice, I just read that wrong. I was upset while I was reading it. Again, I'm really sorry :/ now that I know what you said, I really appreciate the reply

RE: The beginning of the end for ORE? - EDevil - 01-20-2014

(01-20-2014, 07:12 AM)Epic_SkyPilot Wrote:

Whohoo! Finally some happiness in this thread Smile

RE: The beginning of the end for ORE? - Iceglade - 01-20-2014

Haha, thanks so much. I really hate being hostile like that.

RE: The beginning of the end for ORE? - Epic_SkyPilot - 01-20-2014

(01-20-2014, 11:31 AM)Iceglade Wrote: Haha, thanks so much. I really hate being hostile like that.

Me too (: I was just seeing red everywhere, I was pretty pissed off. But yeah I'm glad we cleared that up, sorry again.

RE: The beginning of the end for ORE? - Billman555555 - 05-09-2015

Right, i know this is a little late but here goes opinions.

Firstly congrarulations on a really good eye catching title for this, its what caught my attention.

Now i do realise that im not active anymore. Full stop. Last year i had no internet connection at home and this year it is poor, not good enough for gaming (thanks NBN). But i have noticed when fourum browsing a gradual decrease in the amount of advertised <<-- key word, projects. So just a little note to you all saying if you are doing something big or interesting, let us know.

And about the staff issue. Well. When i last played on server the staff were fine, all helpful and cooperative and active. Idk how things are now, but if there are too many inactive staff or unhelpfull staff, a reelection is a very likely option.

And lastly on behaviour. The behaviour of the people on this server is excelent in comparison to other freebuild/redstone servers. There are no giant penises (i hope) and not much greifing occurs. The members and staff are helpful and act nice until you get to know them well, and then the jokes begin. BUT this is not a bad thing. As a visitor the server seemed like a great place and once i was a seasoned member it just got better. The jokes and funny things said on the chat mad the hours of designing and building things even better, and still bring a smile to my face when i think about them now.

BUT again this is the personal opinion of a non-active member who is glad they joined the server, and hopes that it doesnt end. Catch yall later