Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? (/thread-7930.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - AltruismAndCake - 10-03-2015

I'm just curious, because I'm thinking of attempting my own language. So here are a few questions:

What's your favorite programming language and why? What do you use it for? What features do you want to see added or removed?

Do you prefer a language with faster run time, faster development time, readability, or some balance of these? Do you prefer GUI based, IDE, or text editor for programming?

Do you typically work on your own, or with a group of people? Do any of your projects include creating a GUI or just cmd/terminal based? What would you say is the hardest part of finishing a project?

What are you interests? AI, dig data, graphics 2d or 3d, compression, games, virtual machines, web design, or something else?

Feel free to answer however you like. You can skip questions, add details, and recommend questions that should be added. Feel free to making your reply as big or small as you want. Thank you Smile

RE: What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - Nuuppanaani - 10-03-2015

Woop! I know all the answers:
  • Aft - Python
  • Tyler - Python
  • Pablo - Python
  • ddthj - Python
  • nonemu - Python
  • Mort - Mortup (/Javascript)
  • Voltz - Haskell
  • DeCapo - ASM for his own shit
  • Chibill - Java
  • Magic - Java
  • Slugdude - Bash
  • Qwer - Perl
  • Nick - VScript (pretty sure that's the name of the scripting language for the Source engine)
  • JeremyG - VScript
See how many I got right :pp

RE: What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - AltruismAndCake - 10-03-2015

Nice nuup xD

If you are right, then Python is the most popular language here. I'm thinking ease of use, but maybe there is another reason? Seems making your own language and using it is more popular among the longer term members.

RE: What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - TheCrimulo - 10-03-2015

(10-03-2015, 07:44 PM)Nuuppanaani Wrote: Woop! I know all the answers:

• Aft - Python
  • Tyler - Python
  • Pablo - Python
  • ddthj - Python
  • nonemu - Python
  • Mort - Mortup (/Javascript)
  • Voltz - Haskell
  • DeCapo - ASM for his own shit
  • Chibill - Java
  • Magic - Java
  • Slugdude - Bash
  • Qwer - Perl
  • Nick - VScript (pretty sure that's the name of the scripting language for the Source engine)
  • JeremyG - VScript
See how many I got right :pp
You forgot meh - C#.

I use it for many things, like DLLs or programs for myself, its easy to understand/read. I like to see added a Microsoft-Made C# tutorial in many languages.

I like to work in an IDE, i like the fast dev time.

I work alone, some of my projects includes GUI, but DLLs, evidently, neither.

The hardest part is the debugging, cuz you test it, see a fail and you rage because you cant solve it.

Software development is my favourite part.

- What do you use most, Codeplex or GitHub?
Codeplex. As always, im TheCrimulo.

RE: What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - zSwifty - 10-03-2015

me: (well....) Haskell (mostly) python

RE: What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - AltruismAndCake - 10-03-2015

Sounds like your a windows fan Crimulo, we better hide you from Slug xD

Do you have any completed projects you would like to share? Or is that a secret?

Yeah Bill, I like Haskell to because it's easy to understand and use when you get used to it, but it's hard to use for certain projects. It's too bad no one made it work with multiple threads afaik.

RE: What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - TheCrimulo - 10-04-2015

(10-03-2015, 11:44 PM)AltruismAndCake Wrote: Sounds like your a windows fan Crimulo, we better hide you from Slug xD

Do you have any completed projects you would like to share? Or is that a secret?

Yeah Bill, I like Haskell to because it's easy to understand and use when you get used to it, but it's hard to use for certain projects. It's too bad no one made it work with multiple threads afaik.

Yes, im a Windows fan and i argued with Slug yet xD

extnet.codeplex.com is my most recent project, it can manage double extensions like text.hya.txt, pretty simple. 

Bill Gates is Luv, Bill Gates is Lief

RE: What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - Chibill - 10-04-2015

I also like python. (I normally use java but I use python for fast dev time then once it works I port it over.)

RE: What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - tyler569 - 10-04-2015

Python may be what I recommend to new programmers, and it's certainly what I'm most proficient in, but it is by no means my favorite.

That said, determining what my actual favorite is is a much harder task than telling you it ain't python. Haskell, Clojure, Rust, Golang, and several others would be in that contest.

RE: What's your favorite programming language(s) and why? - Phase - 10-07-2015

Crystal is a very cool language, it's basically just compiled Ruby, but it can interact with C very well.