Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Tutorials (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-24.html)
+---- Forum: Advanced Tutorials (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-26.html)
+----- Forum: Concepts (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-28.html)
+----- Thread: Architecture Comparison,questions. .. (/thread-5096.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - LordDecapo - 11-20-2014

So I have been thinking about doing a write up of overview of different architectures like, SuperScalar OOOexe, Basic MIPS, VLIW, Belt, basic SIMD and maybe some MIMD and graphical stuff GPU stuff,
This would include technical references, a bunch of books and papers for you to read and a compare and contrast writwrite by me with assistance from friends, on when each architecture is good to use and when it's bad..
This will be a multipage write up, and will take a while,
so this post is to see,,, who wants me to do this? Who thinks it's a good idea? Who just doesn't give 2 shits? Lol

RE: Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - Magic :^) - 11-20-2014

Yes! Bestow upon us your godly knowledge of computer architectures!

RE: Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - Magazorb - 11-20-2014

Would be great to see people tip their toes in, would be a great opertunity for them if you did so decapo, even a gross over-simplification would do a lot of good.

RE: Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - jxu - 11-20-2014

Don't take this personally, but I think you (and all of us to an extent) would have bias to certain architectures and be left to wide oversimplifications (as Maga said) without formal training
Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it works irl (deployment)

RE: Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - scrounchtike - 11-21-2014

plz lord, do it. It would be a real help for all us noobs :p
͝ ͟ ͜ pointed out the fact that oversimplification could be present, which i agree to, but your work would do more good than harm. Really, if you include references and research, i don't think your opinion and "facts" could be biased.

RE: Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - TSO - 11-21-2014

If you need help "complexifiïng" yor oversimplifications, I think at this point we can say that I'm a solid resource in that department.

RE: Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - Apuly - 11-21-2014

I woudn't say shit in that context.

RE: Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - Magazorb - 11-21-2014

(11-20-2014, 10:43 PM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote: Don't take this personally, but I think you (and all of us to an extent) would have bias to certain architectures and be left to wide oversimplifications (as Maga said) without formal training
Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it works irl (deployment)
Oddly enough ISAs tend to work irl esactly as they do on papper, it's just generaly these pappers are over simplified and then people assume they are full pappers, even when they state they arnt, so when they implement it they sudenly say it's shit because it didn't work, or in other cases people notice it doesn't explain everything and says it's shit because of that, the grey areas are for verious reasons but they are not to be left, just because something is left out doesn't mean it doesn't work, just means that that is simplified to easy of teaching and explaination.

(11-21-2014, 08:37 AM)TSO Wrote: If you need help "complexifiïng" yor oversimplifications, I think at this point we can say that I'm a solid resource in that department.
To extend on what i just said, if you then start filling in gaps which was intentional you just end up with a mess, it's generaly why they wasn't explained in the first place, to write whole docs about ISAs takes literly thousands of pages (no joke) so those you would find that arn't won't give you a a whole system, to then mix match that with stuff of other ISAs that aren't comparable is just ugly.

I just say do a gross over-simplification, they are good for explaining many systems of the core in many ISAs a short time easily, if they are intrested in those ISAs they can research it further (easy enough to do)

Just a side note, it's quite hard to be bias when you use over view, it's only if you intentionsly skew it would it give any biases, all ISAs are presented with common and unique issues, just about all ISAs that will work explain their methods of reducing these issues (for CPUs it will be how to get quick dataloops, for mass parallel processors it will be throuput and data refraining, just a couple of examples of issues).

RE: Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - TSO - 11-21-2014

Yeah, the x86 manual is like 3000 pages. On the other hand, everything you need to know about ARM fits on a double sided piece of paper.

RE: Architecture Comparison,questions. .. - Magazorb - 11-21-2014

(11-21-2014, 02:27 PM)TSO Wrote: Yeah, the x86 manual is like 3000 pages. On the other hand, everything you need to know about ARM fits on a double sided price of paper.

I believe that ARM is also like 1500pages, it's just when you strip it down to what people general want to know roughtly quickly, it's a few pages, same could be said about x86, only real difference is that x86 has a few extra things. (mostly OoOexe)