Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
(POLL) Merging School with Build - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: (POLL) Merging School with Build (/thread-4043.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

(POLL) Merging School with Build - PNWMan - 07-12-2014

This has been a hot topic for a while now, and I feel we needed a forum post on it. In one of my replies to cut's post about faulty admin standards, I've suggested merging school with build. This has certain advantages and disadvantages.

I personally was never on the RDF sadly, however, I hear a lot from people who were. They say the reason that the RDF school died was because the school was isolated from the build server. With ORE, school is also isolated, however, it's doing somewhat ok. But recently, there has been a shortage of teachers (I myself am guilty) and staff to review apps/promote. Even builders hardly go on there anymore. A good analogy is of a stew. The students are raw meat, the school is a pot, the teachers are the burner, and lessons/learning is the heat. Right now, there is a shortage of "heat" and the "raw meat" is just sitting there, spoiling in the "pot." This isn't to say students might as well be raw meat, that's just mean and incorrect.

Merging school and build will allow students full access to teachers, builders, and staff. Instead of a confusing 2 servers, having to switch back and forth looking for someone, students can simply ask on the server they are on. The school will THRIVE and be filled with learning, teaching, and productiveness.

However, there is a downside. Students can sometimes be, well, annoying. Build is a wonderful haven for builders (and even the cool students) to hang out and get away from the insanity. If we merge the two, there will be no chill spot; thus, stricter rules on such annoying behavior must be put in place.

Another disadvantage is that teachers and members have their own large scale projects (even complicated small scale) and like to do their own thing, or be with friends. If students are nagging them to teach all of the time, members won't get that peace, quiet, and alone time they need.

I still suggest we merge school with build, but we have much stricter rules on school as far as bad behavior. This isn't to say students can't have fun, but they need to tone down caps, derps, spam, etc. In order for school to be merged with build. Possibly separate chat, but I honestly don't think that would be a good idea.

Another thing to help students annoying members/teachers is to just have 1 or 2 big mass lessons, with a large audience of students learning in a lesson/multilesson. This will reduce the amount of lessons given, but increase the amount of things each student knows.

Please post more advantages, disadvantages, concerns, and whatnot if you so please. This is an important matter to be seriously considered after the ORE blackout.

RE: Merging School with Build - LordDecapo - 07-12-2014

Make them 2 sperate worlds on the same server, with a shared spawn location. would solve a lot of issues

RE: Merging School with Build - scrounchtike - 07-12-2014

Also, each world should have its own chat. It might seem obvious, but its an important aspect of the server.

RE: Merging School with Build - EDevil - 07-12-2014

(07-12-2014, 07:11 PM)scrounchtike Wrote: Also, each world should have its own chat. I say it because its important to me

We actually did quite a lot of work to make cross-server chat available... :/

RE: Merging School with Build - scrounchtike - 07-12-2014

Well EDevil, maybe we could do like that school and build again. Staff or Mods(if implemented) could merge chat, or not. I guess that works too.

RE: Merging School with Build - PhysoniumI - 07-12-2014

Merging chat would get super spammy. Something like Bungie Cord would work well to tie the servers together easily, also allowing the possibility for cross-server chat (if I remember right when I looked at it) WITHOUT a custom plugin (saving you work).

RE: Merging School with Build - Iceglade - 07-12-2014

I don't really have much opinion on this issue, but please, please don't permanently merge the chat...

RE: Merging School with Build - LordDecapo - 07-12-2014

(07-12-2014, 08:07 PM)Iceglade Wrote: I don't really have much opinion on this issue, but please, please don't permanently merge the chat...

RE: Merging School with Build - greatgamer34 - 07-15-2014

Quote:and staff to review apps/promote

What, take a look at the completed student apps... Tyler and I, and even other admins have been completing as many as possible!

RE: Merging School with Build - LordDecapo - 07-15-2014

(07-15-2014, 02:18 PM)greatgamer34 Wrote:
Quote:and staff to review apps/promote

What, take a look at the completed student apps... Tyler and I, and even other admins have been completing as many as possible!

Your missing the point, you get on and just do a bunch at once, which means individuals have to wait till the next mass app review time. Which is sometimes days and days.