Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Mod? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Mod? (/thread-4029.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Mod? - tyler569 - 07-11-2014

So I want opinions on the idea of a moderator rank, we obviously had one on the RDF and no longer here.

I want to make entirely clear, this is only to get the community opinion, even if this gets a 100% yes vote, that's not a guarantee it will happen.

I liked PNW's concept of a mod from this post, where a mod could do basic moderation, school apps, perhaps even trials. I imagine this would be an elected position if established.

Again, no guarantees, only thoughts/votes.

RE: Mod? - PNWMan - 07-11-2014

Thank you, tyler, for considering my opinion! However, I do feel that the election should be different than the staff election. Yesterday me and a few ORE friends argued and reasoned that the elections are really a popularity contest. Last staff election, who were the two MOST popular people at that time? Of course they were greatgamer and darkroom. Now, this is not to say the new admins were not chosen improperly, however, it is slightly rigged to popularity and even redstone skill.

May I suggest possibly a nomination for [Moderator], then some sort of trial, where maybe... a volunteer does a quick "fake trial for build" to see how the person does at helping and judging, or possibly a fake application (in a hidden section if possible to avoid clutter) to see how they do at accepting applications.

RE: Mod? - Iceglade - 07-11-2014

This is an amazing idea. I do think that we shouldn't do it like the old staff elections, but I also think that the 'fake trial' would be a huge logistical challenge between having admins to judge them and sort through all the 'trial's. (because EVERY active member or almost every active member would want one of these trials.)

Alternatively, we could have an open "application" for mod with reasons much like a build app (that the potential staff fills out), and the current admins (alone) would pick several (three to four) nominees who would then take the build trial. One way or the other, I do think ORE needs this.

RE: Mod? - David - 07-11-2014

Great idea!

RE: Mod? - newomaster - 07-11-2014

We need to be really careful about doing this. If this were to happen we would really have to solidify our application and trial standards (I suggest we revisit that thread in RB). The more people we trust with the application and trial system, the more opportunities for error and confusion there are, therefore the system must be as robust as possible (which probably means we should rewrite all the application guides and such, to make sure everything is consistent).

iirc the reason we got rid of the Foreman rank was so that all staff had equal power and (in theory) therefore more productive.

-going off on a tangent/rant here, this is partly my answer to cut's thread about the state of the community-
<rant>
In my opinion one of our problems is that we turn down too many people. I know what you'll say: "Their application wasn't adequate;" Visitors do not have a clear idea of our expectations when they log in, and are given little help on applying. For an "Open" redstone server, we sure are exclusive. I realize we have the school server for this, but joining that is as confusing as the build server...even moreso... how would you like to be directed to a totally different server when logging in, told to wait for someone to accept your application, and then try for ages to request the help of a teacher to teach you the required information to finally get into the build server? We need to be more open to new members. I know we like to try to be professional and we don't like the noobs interfering with us, but if we don't make new people want to be with us, we will quickly die out. If we don't have enough teachers and admins to maintain the school server... then get rid of it (build/school merge maybe? I've suggested it before). The school server system is just too confusing. We aren't making people want to learn redstone for the sake of knowing redstone, we are making people want to learn redstone for the sake of getting into the build server (if even that, a lot of people don't even make it that far and give up before then). We need to be a server where a new member can build and get help right away (at LEAST a visitor freebuild). I think concentrating everyone on one server might partly solve the staff issue. (And yes, I'm suggesting modelling our server's structure more after Stym's. It works.). </rant>

Still, having more administration around (presumably active, mature, and intelligent) will help us out with applications and introducing visitors to the server. It's a yes from me, but we have to watch how the new system plays out for a while and decide if we should keep it based on how it affects the server.

RE: Mod? - Iceglade - 07-11-2014

A good way around problem above may be to start with two or three [Moderator], and elect more (up to 4-5?) if that seems to be working okay.

RE: Mod? - PNWMan - 07-11-2014

I think that's a great idea, iceglade. instead of just going full speed ahead into, we should give it a test run to see if it works out nicely.

RE: Mod? - jxu - 07-12-2014

(07-11-2014, 09:40 PM)newomaster Wrote: iirc the reason we got rid of the Foreman rank was so that all staff had equal power and (in theory)
This obviously did not happen - instead we got staff that should have been moderator but received too much power.
I agree with a test run - given the overwhelming votes, we have to at least try it.

RE: Mod? - LordDecapo - 07-12-2014

I like all of these suggestions. And i have read the original post and talked to PNW and Cut on the server about this. having about 8-10 Mod's of the more active members and have all the ones that are pretty active and mature put into a poll so ppl can vote on the top 8.
And the Censorship plugin, i have mixed feelings, i know i cuss on the server at times, but i make sure 95% of the time that i only do it if all the ppl online dont mind, and if anyone ever has a problem i stop,
I think it should be given a warning for excessive profanity and maybe a chat mute for set time periods given the frequency and severity of the remark.
Which if we have 8 to 10 active regularly, would be easy to control.
And i agree Mods should be able to do trials if they r decided to become a rank. but maybe like multiple (2-3) mods have to accept a trial to give a more balanced and fair trial, like a 2nd opinion. and again this wont be hard if the mods are active and plentiful,

RE: Mod? - PhysoniumI - 07-12-2014

Censorship plugins tend to misfire really often in my experience with them. In the end, self-censorship and human censors are the best method.