Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Unacceptable. - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Unacceptable. (/thread-4028.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Unacceptable. - jxu - 07-12-2014

I don't know what you mean by "coming out", but OREUtils has been open source for a long time. Unfortunately it seems like the people with push access (red, xdot, xeo) have been gone for a while.

RE: Unacceptable. - JWNJWN - 07-12-2014

(07-12-2014, 12:11 AM)PNWMan Wrote: Staff training other staff is a VITAL part of server maintenance. When is OREUtils coming out? Probably not soon if the knowledgeable staff don't train the others of how to accomplish this.

OREUtils v2.0 Has been finished and was being tested on the test server before the Build server died recently. It was completely rewritten from the ground up, so you need to stop complaining about it; doing things takes time, even for admins.

RE: Unacceptable. - PNWMan - 07-12-2014

Alright, I was mistaken about the time that OREUtils was released. But this is not the point I'm trying to make here. There are other responsibilities such as combining school and build chat, restarting/rebooting servers, proper maintenance of the forums, etc. that a good portion of the staff don't know how to do. I'm saying that the staff that DOES know how to do this needs to take part in helping these unknowing staff.

RE: Unacceptable. - PhysoniumI - 07-12-2014

The general state of RDF/ORE (I don't know what to call it any more, it still is RDF to me Tongue) is rather worrying. There are problems with more than just the state of moderators and other forms of staff. With the current outage and what I understand from Mort's post on the thread (possible loss of map, due to no external backups) there are a lot of shortcomings throughout.

I agree that fixing the staff situation would be a step in the right direction, but without changes with all of the locations, the RDF/ORE won't return to it's former glory days (or have a possibility thereof).

Sorry for going somewhat off-topic but this all applies as UNACCEPTABLE (in my eyes). I am willing to help with this, as I have some experience with this and a great deal of the required hardware.

RE: Unacceptable. - tyler569 - 07-12-2014

(07-12-2014, 12:31 AM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote: I don't know what you mean by "coming out", but OREUtils has been open source for a long time. Unfortunately it seems like the people with push access (red, xdot, xeo) have been gone for a while.

(I know this is back a bit)

Anyone is free to make a pull request, and I have access to that repo to accept changes if anybody makes 'em.

In fact, if someone wants a project, the plot system needs to support UUIDs, anyone willing to help with that even a little bit would have my eternal gratitude.

I'll move this to a thread in "Programming"

RE: Unacceptable. - PNWMan - 07-12-2014

I agree with phys that the MAIN focus at the moment is the outage, backups, and a possible temp server. staff, moderator, teacher, etc. revisions MUST come later, after this giant mess is sorted through.

I created a temp server earlier on the server hosting survival, hoping to have them both on the same machine, turns out I cannot because of port forwarding, so I ask you all, does it make sense to kill survival for the time being in exchange for a build/(school?map?)/(survival?map?canIdothis?) temp solution.

EDIT never mind, I just check survival and it's a ghost town even with everything else offline

am making.

RE: Unacceptable. - Chibill - 07-12-2014

Also I can work on the UUID stuff.

My brain cracked when I started working on the permissions setup for the temp server, I'll finish it and get it up tomorrow afternoon (EST). I plan on redirecting mc., sc., and ss. all to it for the time being until we have something else.

RE: Unacceptable. - Cutlassw30 - 07-12-2014

I think that trails should be less about current redstone skill and more of how much someone wants to learn redstone. Now of course there are some min requirements but they should be a lot more general. Trials in general should be about seeing if someone is mature enough and seeing how much they want to learn redstone at a more complicated level. I actually propose a radically new idea for trials that I think should solve a lot of issues.

Step 1: User creates application and it gets accepted/denied much like it is now (all though with requirements changed and new fields such as "what do you want to learn");
Step 2: User gets accepted and instead of a 1 hour trial they get there own plot on a different world and this plot would say be 128x128. All other plots in that world that other users currently have would be protected to stop potential greifing. The user would build with out world edit in this world for sometime until it came to a vote on the forums to accept him as a full member. This would not only make applying and then start building once its accepted fast but also this is where we could put our regulations in place for how good someone should be to get the full member ship (yes this is kinda like a rank system based on skill but its community decided not admin decided and its only two ranks). This would remove trials and give a way for someone to build with the community and have fun while not currently having the required knowledge to be in the main world.
Step 3: After awhile a poll would get posted on the forums where only full members and staff could see/vote and we would debate to make this person a full member based on their skill, willingness to learn, and maturity.

I think this system would not only make the application and "trial" process faster but also if a user is not quite ready to join the full build server instead of cutting them off the the school server they get put into the Testificate or what ever you want to call it world and get to build with the community and everybody is happy.

Visitor: Current rank for someone who didn't make an application and just joined the server.
Testificate: Current rank for someone who is in the "trial" world.
Member: Full member ship and a person with this rank is trustworthy and active
Moderator: A member who is mature and can oversea applications and accept/deny them but has nothing to do with running the server.
Staff: Current staff rank