Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Enter Slug! - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Introductions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Enter Slug! (/thread-3987.html)

Enter Slug! - slugdude - 07-06-2014

So. I have been a member of ORE for a few weeks now, but I only just stumbled on this sub-forum. You wanna know my story? Here it is:

Chapter 1
So once upon a time, I hadn't heard of minecraft. People at school started talking about it a lot, so I Googled it. I certainly didn't want to pay £17.50 for the full game, but I noticed a little link: looking for minecraft classic?
So I played on classic for a year, before I discovered mineshafter. Here I played survival for a while. Later on, I bought pocket edition. I looked up what pocket didn't have, but PC did. Huh. Redstone? What's that?

Chapter 2
So I looked up redstone. Seemed pretty cool. I had a little fiddle with it, and made an absolutely massive 2x3 door. Fail. I was terrible. I stumbled upon a youtuber by the name of bennyscube. His stuff was awesome, but I didn't understand how any of it worked. So I looked up on YouTube to see if there was any series teaching the basics of redstone. I came across flabiliki. I watched his "redstone basics tutorial" series, and learnt a lot. His videos showed me the XOR gate. I was fiddling with them, like I do with everything, and discovered the built-in AND gate. I had known binary the entire time, and knew computers used it. Something clicked. I thought: "wait, could I use these to make something that adds stuff?"

Chapter 3
So I fiddled and I fiddled. Eventually I created a 4 bit RCA, although I didn't know about this name at the time. Once I had heard about CLA and CLE, I assumed that what I had built was CLA. I looked up how to do subtraction, and eventually I had an ALU in front of me. I knew that I was relatively advanced at this point, but I got bored of just building random rubbish. Then I rediscovered bennyscube. I vaguely am aware of how CLE works thanks to him. But I was still bored. I looked up redstone servers, and found ORE.

Chapter 4
So I went around, and applied online. In this time, I helped crazyninja with his ASCII. I was finally approved for the trial. Magazorb was my superviser. Minutes before my trial, I discovered that what I was building wasn't CLA, but was RCA. I had heard of people being declined for RCAs, so I got really worried. I built a 4-bit ALU, with RCA at it's heart. It was slow and uncompact. I gave a decent explanation of how it worked, and then maga and some other people started asking me questions. When I answered one, the other people thought I was answering their questions. I got panicked. Eventually maga said: "good enough." Had I done the test 9 days later, I would have been denied, since that was when they stopped accepting entire ALUs if they were RCA. So now here I am, writing this.

All in all, one lucky slug.

RE: Enter Slug! - Crazyninja2000 - 07-06-2014

i read the first sentence then zoned out.

RE: Enter Slug! - slugdude - 07-06-2014

(07-06-2014, 09:33 PM)Crazyninja2000 Wrote: i read the first sentence then zoned out.

Thank you for you dedication.

RE: Enter Slug! - Nuuppanaani - 07-06-2014

I glanced thru. cool story bro!

RE: Enter Slug! - Jmking80 - 07-07-2014

Welcome to ORE, and Benny is awesome.
I did read it, it was interesting.

-Jmking80

RE: Enter Slug! - hardfg5000 - 07-22-2014

Slugdude hates Styms redstone server!!!!

RE: Enter Slug! - Jupperware - 07-25-2014

That's awesome! Read the whole thing! Great work man. I bet you were nervous, haha. I know I would be.

RE: Enter Slug! - Nuuppanaani - 07-25-2014

Welcome to the server you too :]

RE: Enter Slug! - jxu - 07-30-2014

Chapter 4 summary: I'm under-qualified for the server Tongue