Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
MCsim (pre-alpha release) - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: MCsim (pre-alpha release) (/thread-1606.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Redstone lab (Functional release) - jxu - 07-05-2014

You should hold off on updating your program by removing metadata. This change has not been confirmed and is still very buggy in the snapshots.

RE: Redstone lab (Functional release) - Chibill - 07-05-2014

also CX MCP for 1.7.10 is out. And as the snapshots continue I can map more classes faster to make my auto mapper.

RE: Redstone lab (Functional release) - CX gamer - 07-06-2014

Alright, ͟ ͜ -, I'll follow your advice. I'll continue keep working on the current version.

Thanks for letting me know again, Chibill. Big Grin And sounds like you're making something amazing, sounds awesome!

Oh and now it will link every library that minecraft uses, so that problem is solved. I also asked MCP if it's okay to bundle their data files with my source, or if I should make it part of the install process.

RE: Redstone lab (Functional release) - Chibill - 07-07-2014

I just hope they keep adding UUIDs to stuff makes finding it faster.

RE: Redstone lab (Functional release) - CX gamer - 07-11-2014

OPEN SOURCE!
https://github.com/CXgamer/MCsim

HeartHeartHeart

RE: Redstone lab (Open source) - jxu - 07-12-2014

Wow, MCP 9.03 was hard to find. It would be much better if this could be done automatically - most people aren't willing to go through this process.

I'm confused by what I have to compile. I assume it's StartSim.java (which code::blocks refuses to), but why you left it as a java source file instead of creating a .jar is beyond me.

The entire purpose of this simulator also confuses me. If it's to basically run minecraft in a controlled environment, I think an in-game combination of noclip, gametickediting and GUI tools would do the trick better.

RE: Redstone lab (Open source) - CX gamer - 07-12-2014

(07-12-2014, 12:55 AM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote: Wow, MCP 9.03 was hard to find. It would be much better if this could be done automatically - most people aren't willing to go through this process.

Welp sorry about that, I just updated it to 9.08. :3 And yes you're right, I don't expect end-users to do so. MCP's licence requires written permission to use their data files, so for now I cannot redistribute them together with the source. But ways of not even relying on MCP will be fun with a Chibill or Chibill-like system.

(07-12-2014, 12:55 AM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote: I'm confused by what I have to compile. I assume it's StartSim.java (which code::blocks refuses to), but why you left it as a java source file instead of creating a .jar is beyond me.

Isn't code::blocks for C/C++? xD But alright, as soon as I have time controls working, I'll create a .jar. Which will be at least a few days, as I won't be home much. I just rushed to get open-source asap, didn't focus on end-users at all yet. If you're only interested in the .jar, you can download an older version here:
http://forum.openredstone.org/showthread.php?tid=1606&pid=20359#pid20359

(07-12-2014, 12:55 AM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote: The entire purpose of this simulator also confuses me. If it's to basically run minecraft in a controlled environment, I think an in-game combination of noclip, gametickediting and GUI tools would do the trick better.
I'll defend my case! In game editing is a whole other experience than in the simulator, here's some planned features to show you what's possible:
  • An overview of as many layers as you want at once, as opposed to a single viewport.
  • Practical time controls; tick, play forwards, forwards asap, backwards, ...
  • The ability to share images of your creation.
  • Tools built in python, compatible with MCedit filters but with specific functions for the sim too.
  • Much more direct copy/paste capabilities.
  • Importing other user's schematics and use it in your own. Think building computers by just dragging components and using some autobussing tool.
  • Eventually I'll build a website with an API to create a repository of schematics, cataloged and documented. For example an option to select how big you want it for tileable circuits and also persistent labels.
  • The simulator part will become a library, so it can be used for other projects as well.
  • Slightly dreamy idea, but it would be awesome to generate command blocks compiled from a command-block scripting language.

Also because of this setup, as opposed to a very invasive mod, is that I can nit-pick the things I want to load and just do that. A mod would work the other way around and disable most systems, plus it would mean a new mod for every update, and I may be gone for months. The whole purpose of the MCP thing and the extensible xml files is to keep it working even without dev intervention. Sure there can be architectural changes which require fixing, but at least this has a window of working versions as opposed to only the ones that I release.

I'm sure that this one is better than all redstone simulators that have been, because I've got the best of both worlds (everything can be simulated and a self-defined interface).

RE: Redstone lab (Open source) - CX gamer - 07-20-2014

Well I rambled again..

The time controls are getting there, but sometimes crashes yet. You can now tick forward and go back and all. But I also realized I forgot something that I'll need before simulation can begin properly. Schematics are used to get and set MC's state, but I haven't implemented the tag that keeps track of blocks to update. So you can update one block and move forward, but if you place another one, it will forget about the updates of the former block.

This marks a key point in development that I was foreseeing: expanding the schematic format. If you grab a schematic from the server, for example, only tile entities of inventory-blocks are created, not comparators. Also if I recall correctly, WorldEdit puts extra tags to track where a player was when he copied it (to paste it relative to him again). I think it's important to not clutter the schematic with too many custom things, so I plan to keep the simulator's future's tags (like for example schematic name, creator, comments, named inputs/outputs) inside one dedicated tag on the root of the schematic.

However, for TileTicks, I'll put it on the root tag as well, since it's stored native in MC as well. It's required for clocks to keep working when loading a schematic. Because it's non-standard, unexpected things may happen when using them with other application, which would mean they did a bad job.

On making a .jar release, I want to do that when I think it's usable for an end-user, which means safe crashes (because of entities) and on overall no weird behavior.

Hope you guys don't mind me taking my time, lots of things on my head; 8 more days of work, 4 re-exams, nabbing around with python and entering dorm-life in either 0.5 month or 1.5 month.

RE: Redstone lab (Open source) - Chibill - 07-20-2014

I have forked this and will work on making a way to load my mappings to see how it works. And also I am going to start. Working on my deobusfcator again.

RE: Redstone lab (Open source) - CX gamer - 07-20-2014

Awesome to hear that! Big Grin No pressure, take all time you want. Hope I wrote my classes properly for you.