Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Welcome - Get Started - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Welcome - Get Started (/thread-11246.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Welcome - Get Started - FreeProGamer - 11-12-2016

Hello there! If you are here you might be new to ORE However, if so, this is the place where you understand everything.
This guide is mainly made for new players, but everyone can read it.

What are we doing?
We are a bit redstone server, but our main topic is Computer Engineering, which means we learn how computers work, think and their logic: Arithmetic (Math) part (Half Adder, Full Adder, RCA, ALU, ICA, CLE, CLA, etc.), Memory part (RAM, ROM, Registers, etc.) Logic Gates, and more. Sound complicated and weird? Don't worry, now its like rocket science, but later on it will be clear. We are also separated to 4 servers:
School: The server where students "live", learn and build.
Build: Successful students, pass a trial to become Builders, then they can start their own bigger plot at the Build Server
Survival: Builders, are allowed to join Survival, which is currently down.
Skyblock: A modded Skyblock server, which is currently down.
So in School, we teach and welcome new players till they are ready to pass the trial, then they need to post an application for build server and then wait for a staff member to accept it and trial them. But before all of this, you need to get started!
First of all, you need to apply to a Student as you are now a Visitor.
But, what is Computational Redstone? It is basically computer science (yes, Binary and stuff, NO it is not "hacking", or anything like that) but with Redstone since it's Minecraft. You learn the basics (Logic Gates and Binary) Then Arithmetical Parts of the Computer (Adders, CPUs, Subtractors, Multipliers, and Dividers (Though Adder and Subtractor are enough to pass the trial) and then you can continue to GPUs, RAM, ROM, Displays, Registers, and even a whole Computer! It might sound not so fun, but believe me, it is!
But, before you apply, here are some important stuff:
  • To list the rules type /kit rules.
  • You can ask whatever question you want, in whatever topic, there will always be someone to answer it (google, or us).
Ranks
So, ranks, we have first of all the Visitor rank:
Prefix: [Visitor]
Permissions: Not allowed to interact with anything (mobs, blocks, levers etc.), only /warp, /kit, /help, /gm & /tp.
Then, after you apply (More info at Applying) you are a Student:
 Prefix: [Student]
 Permissions: Visitor + Create Plots, Interact with Everything.
Then, after you learn for a while, you are ready to be trialed, then you apply to Builder (More info at Applying) and become a builder. (Also, the trial is about Adders, logic gates, 2's Comp and more, so it is basically a test where the staff member asks you to build, and explain stuff).:
 Prefix: [Builder]
 Permissions: Student + Access to plot, interact in Build + WorldEdit.
You can also apply to a teacher but it requires knowledge, skills, time and effort. You also need to be a builder for that.
 Prefix: [Teacher]
 Permissions: Builder + Build anywhere.
Moderator (aka Mod), you are being voted in the elections, so you need to show really good effort, again you must be a builder to become a mod.
 Prefix: [Mod]
 Permissions: Teacher + Ban, Kick, Vanish, Warp (others), Plot Commands anywhere, mute.
And Finally, Admin, when the server needs an admin they pick up a Mod in elections
 Prefix: [Admin]
Permissions: Everything

So, now after we know the ranks, there is only one little problem. How do we get them!?!?
Applying
So, to get a rank (starting with Student) all you need to do is this:
  1. Type /motd to get more info.
  2. Click here.
  3. Read the rules here.
  4. Create an account (you must do it, or else you can't post an application) here.
  5. Copy the format that can be found here (The code font, looks like Minecraft Name: etc. Copy it all).
  6. Create an application here (after signed in).
  7. Wait for a staff member to check it (recommended to announce it whenever a staff member comes on).

Now, if you think you are good enough to pass without learning or already learned enough, here are the instructions for the Builder Application:
  1. Type /motd to get more info.
  2. Click here.
  3. Read the rules here.
  4. Create an account, if you haven't yet (you must do it, or else you can't post an application) here.
  5. Copy the format that can be found here (The code font, looks like Minecraft Name: etc. Copy it all).
  6. Create an application here (after signed in).
  7. Wait for a staff member to check it (recommended to announce it whenever a staff member comes on).
  8. Note: You must have experience in Redstone Computing to be a builder.

And at last, you might have seen some players typing ,list other weird stuff in chat. This is called IRC, basically there are bots that are waiting for such a text (,list or something like this) and then are PMing the output to the player that sent the input.
IRC
IRC, or Internet Relay Chat is a Chatting Service which can include bots in it. The bots are (most of the times) harmless and made for fun or comfort.
An example for a bot in Bottery, we have 4 servers that are magically connected together, how? IRC Bots! So let's take this bot, that is called Bottery, if we will write ,list it will PM us all the players that are on each of the 4 servers.
How do we make it? we program those bots and then test them in ORE! They are pretty cool, also with IRC you can chat in ORE with your phone!
IRC is a pretty handy tool and is helping a lot to ORE, it is completely harmless and doesn't acquire any program to be installed by the user.

FAQ
Question:
Quote:How much time would it take for a staff member to check my application?
Answer:
Quote:Most of the times, there are staff members almost always, it will maximum take 3 days, if you're lucky enough it will be instant!

Question:
Quote:Can I build/teach/learn anything that is not Redstone in this server?
Answer:
Quote:Of course! You are free to teach anything you want as long as you know you teach it right and learn as long as you trust your teacher. You can build whatever you want as long as it is not an abusive content or a lag machine.

Question:
Quote:Where can I discuss stuff?
Answer:
Quote:We have Discord, it's a free online chatting app (can be installed as well) we can invite you to our channel where you can discuss whatever you want in random channels (each has its own category but you can probably discuss it wherever you want), Also, there is a Discussion category in the forums and an Off-Topic Category where you can post whatever you want, again as long as it is not abusive.

Tips
Now, after you've applied and been approved, I suggest you reading the next articles, that explain the topics clearly.
Logic Gates
Thanks
Thank you for reading this! I hope it helped you and made things more clear!

RE: Welcome - Get Started - Apuly - 11-12-2016

w0t my bot is famous :O

in other news, this is one very useful and well written page.
admins should seriously consider making a seperatie page on the website and putting this in.
although maybe put in an extra thing about trials for build, seeing as I can't find anything about it on here.

RE: Welcome - Get Started - Chibill - 11-12-2016

I dislike how you say there is a difference between hackers and programmers.... There is not.... Hackers just ate able to use something for which it was not designed. Like using irc with Minecraft.

RE: Welcome - Get Started - CrazyGuy108 - 11-12-2016

My revisions:
Visitor tag is uncolored.
It should be emphasized that only builders can become teachers/mods.
In the part where you list permissions, it would be best to get that kind of info from staff.
In the applying section, the student/builder sections are identical. Maybe merge them and add a note saying builders need exp and trial or something along those lines.
Might be better to wrap the IRC commands in quotes e.g. ",list".
You don't need to include the "how do we make it?" part. That's something for someone to look up on their own time.
Other than that, it looks really nice. Putting this into the "/motd" or something like that could guide visitors more easily through the application process.

RE: Welcome - Get Started - FreeProGamer - 11-12-2016

(11-12-2016, 01:28 AM)Chibill Wrote: I dislike how you say there is a difference between hackers and programmers.... There is not.... Hackers just ate able to use something for which it was not designed. Like using irc with Minecraft.

brah shush

(11-12-2016, 01:20 AM)Apuly Wrote: w0t my bot is famous :O

in other news, this is one very useful and well written page.
admins should seriously consider making a seperatie page on the website and putting this in.
although maybe put in an extra thing about trials for build, seeing as I can't find anything about it on here.

Thanks! I'll add it as soon as Possible

(11-12-2016, 01:40 AM)CrazyGuy108 Wrote: My revisions:
In the part where you list permissions, it would be best to get that kind of info from staff.
In the applying section, the student/builder sections are identical. Maybe merge them and add a note saying builders need exp and trial or something along those lines.
You don't need to include the "how do we make it?" part. That's something for someone to look up on their own time.
Other than that, it looks really nice. Putting this into the "/motd" or something like that could guide visitors more easily through the application process.

Thanks for feedback! I'll fix it as soon as possible!

Did it all, about the permissions, i am not gonna list all the permissions each rank has because it will be too long, I am making it shorter to the main parts ;P

Yes, that was my idea from the begging, putting it in the motd

RE: Welcome - Get Started - tokumei - 11-12-2016

those cyan headings cause too much eye strain on the white website background