Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Got any annoyances whatsoever? (/thread-1150.html)

Got any annoyances whatsoever? - mort96 - 10-10-2013

I was feeling like improving something, so I decided to make this thread. Basically, throw everything you have been annoyed by (on ORE) in here, and I/we will see what we can do.

This can be anything from web services (forums, homepage, /schems etc) to commands or plugins. Or maybe a spelling mistake or bad wording in a guide. Basically, anything you feel could be improved.

√ [website] Fix IRC on phones
√ [forums] Make the quick reply text field fill the entire container
√ [forums] Look into email notifications
√ [forums] Raise image attachment file size limit
√ [forums] Add link to website in the menu bar
* [website] Fix font size and image resizing on smaller displays
* [in game] Add link to [url]http://openredstone.org/?page_id=46[/url] (apply guide) on a visitor's first join

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - tokumei - 10-10-2013

The email notification doesn't work on the forums.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Chibill - 10-10-2013

On iPod 4g safari and iOS 6.1.3 the main web site is still zoomed in by default to where only the links are useable and the IrC is not at all.

Also the fact that if you view the only unread thing on a forum it does not turn off the most upper unread light.

Email does work but has an hour and half delay.

(10-10-2013, 08:09 PM)Chibill Wrote: On iPod 4g safari and iOS 6.1.3 the main web site is still zoomed in by default to where only the links are useable and the IrC is not at all.

Also the fact that if you view the only unread thing on a forum it does not turn off the most upper unread light.

Email does work but has an hour and half delay.
I never got a confirmation email. I have quintuple-checked it and resent it 20 times... Also that's called a "website optimized for mobile users." That's not a bug.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Chibill - 10-10-2013

It's a bug because the IRC in not useable and you can zoom out.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - David - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 08:14 PM)Chibill Wrote: It's a bug because the IRC in not useable and you can zoom out.

Some stuff is just not compatible with a phone, apperantly IRC is one of those things.

Yeah that irc client wasn't made for mobile devices. It only works on my iPad because I have a special browser.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Iceglade - 10-10-2013

I don't know if this fits here, but I still think survival should be reset. Tongue

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - mort96 - 10-10-2013

There's no reason the IRC client shouldn't work on a phone. The only reason it didn't work was me being sluggish with the positioning CSS when I implemented it. Fixed now though.

The client's UI wasn't designed with phones in mind though, so it likely doesn't look awesome. It works just fine though. In theory that is, I still only have a cheap dumbphone and no real way to fiddle with the layout on a phone screen for an extended period of time.

Making the image rescale on smaller displays proved to be harder than I thought.

DJ, did you quintuple-check junk mail? I'll try to look into it..

We pretty much landed on resetting surv once 1.7 comes out IIRC :p

Really? I was told we were just moving spawn... that's great news!

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - mort96 - 10-10-2013

Well, moving spawn would practically be a reset, if we move it far enough.

Ah, I see. I vote... a lot... of blocks. Tongue

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - mort96 - 10-11-2013

If a visitor asks how to apply, just throw http://openredstone.org/?page_id=46 after them :3

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - EDevil - 10-11-2013

(10-11-2013, 02:42 AM)mort96 Wrote: If a visitor asks how to apply, just throw http://openredstone.org/?page_id=46 after them :3

Thats really handy, thanks Mort. Maybe its a good idea to include the link in an auto first time join message?

That's a great idea. Added to the todo list.

Also, made the text area in the quick reply box fill its entire container. (Its width was 100%. Setting it to 104% seems to be perfect. CSS be odd.)

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - tokumei - 10-11-2013

Lol I never thought of looking at junk mail because gmail does such a good job at filtering... But there it was... I'm stupid. :p

ahh, great Big Grin

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - tokumei - 10-11-2013

But it's still being UBER slow, by the way. I still haven't received the email confirmation I sent a few hours ago.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - EDevil - 10-11-2013

Just figured this out XD

I wanted to ask the community for a design for a solid state PC w/ Branching, and there's no sub forum for these kind of things. Idea perhaps?

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Konstacon - 10-12-2013

(10-10-2013, 07:50 PM)mort96 Wrote: I was feeling like improving something, so I decided to make this thread. Basically, throw everything you have been annoyed by (on ORE) in here, and I/we will see what we can do.

This can be anything from web services (forums, homepage, /schems etc) to commands or plugins. Or maybe a spelling mistake or bad wording in a guide. Basically, anything you feel could be improved.

√ [website] Fix IRC on phones
√ [forums] Make the quick reply text field fill the entire container
√ [forums] Look into email notifications
* [website] Fix font size and image resizing on smaller displays
* [in game] Add link to [url]http://openredstone.org/?page_id=46[/url] (apply guide) on a visitor's first join

I just realized... MORT USED SQUARE ROOTS AS CHECKS

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - auztin3 - 10-12-2013

I think a good addition would be to add a section dedicated to just devices that have passed trials. It would be a great way for visitors who are interested in joining the build server to see if they're actaully ready Big Grin Along with that maybe have some of the best devices ever made on a trial there!

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Chibill - 10-13-2013

can only upload up to 500 KB size files to a post when screenshots are around 900 KB

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - tokumei - 10-14-2013

(10-13-2013, 04:09 AM)Chibill Wrote: can only upload up to 500 KB size files to a post when screenshots are around 900 KB

Use imgur lol

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - mort96 - 10-14-2013

Raised the size limit for image files to 1 MB.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Chibill - 10-15-2013

(10-14-2013, 02:23 PM)DJ8X Wrote:
(10-13-2013, 04:09 AM)Chibill Wrote: can only upload up to 500 KB size files to a post when screenshots are around 900 KB

Use imgur lol

Maybe because I could before the forums updated and thanks mort.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - EDevil - 10-22-2013

What i hardcoded on my own MyBB forum, is a link after the "Search Member List Calendar Help" (top right) that says "Back to the home page", aka a link back to openredstone.org. 5 Min work, but sometimes i like to navigate back to the main page without typing the URL in manually

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - tokumei - 10-22-2013

(10-22-2013, 10:10 AM)EvilDevil59NL Wrote: What i hardcoded on my own MyBB forum, is a link after the "Search Member List Calendar Help" (top right) that says "Back to the home page", aka a link back to openredstone.org. 5 Min work, but sometimes i like to navigate back to the main page without typing the URL in manually

There's something called the "bookmarks bar" Tongue

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - mort96 - 10-22-2013

Added a "Webpage" link in the menu bar.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - EDevil - 10-24-2013

Awesome Mort!

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Jmking80 - 10-24-2013

(10-22-2013, 08:23 PM)mort96 Wrote: Added a "Webpage" link in the menu bar.
Would you mind adding a little home Icon before it,
It kills my ocd that eveything execpt the webpage has an icon before it.
also might make it more apparent, how you navigate to openredstone.org

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - mort96 - 10-24-2013

Made a small icon for it. Pleased now? Tongue

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Jmking80 - 10-26-2013

(10-24-2013, 12:51 PM)mort96 Wrote: Made a small icon for it. Pleased now? Tongue
Sure almighty mort

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Xray_Doc - 10-26-2013

Is Xeo counted as an annoyance?
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Guy1234567890 - 10-26-2013

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA The nostalgia is strong with this meme

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Xray_Doc - 10-27-2013

Quote:I have a problem with the way my forum is rendering. And for some reason I can only see text by using the quote boxes
[Image: g9JVhSW.png]

Nevermind. Seems to be fixed now.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - lijrobert - 11-23-2013

I can't connect to the server. I keep getting bad login errors.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Apuly - 11-29-2013

enable /delhome maybe?

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - lijrobert - 11-30-2013

(11-23-2013, 07:55 PM)lijrobert Wrote: I can't connect to the server. I keep getting bad login errors.

It started working again.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - AFtExploision - 11-30-2013

Aft. (S)he is an annoyance

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Somepotato - 12-02-2013

max-width

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - mort96 - 12-14-2013

Added some media queries here and there, the forums should now be a more pleasant experience on phones. Only tested it on an iPhone though, anyone feel like having a look at it on other devices?

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Chibill - 12-14-2013

Its zoomed in on androids. But thats just my prefernes.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - aerodynamicbrick - 12-14-2013

the captcha is messed up on irc…. you only have to type the first section correctly(in most circumstances for me)

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - xdot - 12-14-2013

(12-14-2013, 02:04 PM)aerodynamicbrick Wrote: the captcha is messed up on irc…. you only have to type the first section correctly(in most circumstances for me)

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Chibill - 12-15-2013

The forum Banner just broke.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Xray_Doc - 12-15-2013

This is what happens when you don't use the superior black and red forum layout.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - ORERobutt - 12-15-2013

The disorganized application subsection Bldr should have accepted applications moved properly. Thank you for your concern.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Chibill - 12-15-2013

The forum Banner is still buged on PC and you can't change any setings or even log in and out.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - WrytXander - 12-17-2013

Hey! I can not seem to find the "New posts"/"Recet posts" section. Was it removed? If not I am a forum-n00b and cant find it Big Grin

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - tokumei - 12-22-2013

Erm... the favicon isn't working on the forum... Could be due to the new url structure, might want to check into it? Smile

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - mort96 - 12-22-2013

Should in theory be fixed now. Favicons are notorious for taking a long time to update, so we'll see if it worked..

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Neogreenyew - 12-23-2013

1) The server crashes that can easily be fixed, but no one cares to fix them. ...you know which ones I'm talking about.
2) Tnt417
3) The noobs that come on with no prior experience in digital or programming logic, ask for someone to teach, then after 4 hrs of teaching just leave the server and never return.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - AFtExploision - 12-23-2013

Villager spam mort pls fix

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Jmking80 - 12-23-2013

bad support for using the back and forward buttons to navigate, it will not update that you have read it. It will only update when you start using links again.

May be difficult to fix, but DO IT. Big Grin

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - EDevil - 12-23-2013

(12-23-2013, 12:52 AM)Neogreenyew Wrote: 1) The server crashes that can easily be fixed, but no one cares to fix them. ...you know which ones I'm talking about.
2) Tnt417
3) The noobs that come on with no prior experience in digital or programming logic, ask for someone to teach, then after 4 hrs of teaching just leave the server and never return.

das.

RE: Got any annoyances whatsoever? - Jmking80 - 12-23-2013

(12-23-2013, 09:26 AM)EvilDevil59NL Wrote:
(12-23-2013, 12:52 AM)Neogreenyew Wrote: 1) The server crashes that can easily be fixed, but no one cares to fix them. ...you know which ones I'm talking about.
2) Tnt417

das.
The life of a teacher....