Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Mod? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Mod? (/thread-4029.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Mod? - Iceglade - 07-12-2014

(07-12-2014, 02:39 PM)LordDecapo Wrote: The should be able to ban, but ONLY like 15min temp ban MAX. and muting for about the same time or a little longer, any serious displinary actions should be decided by staff

I absolutely agree with this. The less difficult responsibility we put in the hands of mods (who will likely have little administration experience), the better.

RE: Mod? - PabloDons - 07-16-2014

having mods comes with a lot of advantages, it will for instance make selecting staff a lot easier because of moderation experience. I would also point out that moderators can have an opinion when staff is discussing important things, 2 heads is always better than 1.

In my opinion, moderators should be like a helping hand to staff more than anything because it's always going to be up to staff for any considerable decistions

RE: Mod? - greatgamer34 - 07-17-2014

Ill be willing to switch my vote from "Members/Staff. Nothing else." as long as mods would not try to push for more power than other mods. Like in the past, mod "A" shouldnt have SSH if mod "b" doesnt.

RE: Mod? - JeremyG - 07-17-2014

I agree with greatgamer. What had beforehand caused trouble with the foreman rank was that some foremen had different permissions. There were like 3 foremen who had been opped and the rest not, some had ssh, which was why we merged them in the first place.

I'm completely for having a rank inbetween if the permissions are managed such that every mod has the same powers.

RE: Mod? - Billman555555 - 07-17-2014

(07-11-2014, 09:40 PM)newomaster Wrote: <rant>
In my opinion one of our problems is that we turn down too many people. I know what you'll say: "Their application wasn't adequate;" Visitors do not have a clear idea of our expectations when they log in, and are given little help on applying. For an "Open" redstone server, we sure are exclusive. I realize we have the school server for this, but joining that is as confusing as the build server...even moreso... how would you like to be directed to a totally different server when logging in, told to wait for someone to accept your application, and then try for ages to request the help of a teacher to teach you the required information to finally get into the build server? We need to be more open to new members. I know we like to try to be professional and we don't like the noobs interfering with us, but if we don't make new people want to be with us, we will quickly die out. If we don't have enough teachers and admins to maintain the school server... then get rid of it (build/school merge maybe? I've suggested it before). The school server system is just too confusing. We aren't making people want to learn redstone for the sake of knowing redstone, we are making people want to learn redstone for the sake of getting into the build server (if even that, a lot of people don't even make it that far and give up before then). We need to be a server where a new member can build and get help right away (at LEAST a visitor freebuild). I think concentrating everyone on one server might partly solve the staff issue. (And yes, I'm suggesting modelling our server's structure more after Stym's. It works.). </rant>
Let's do an idea brainstorm based on this paragraph of ranting newo.

I think a rebuild of the permissions ranks are in order as well as the applications system. Further to that a combination of the school and build servers.

Then applications could be combined so based upon skill level represented in Aplication/trial. Then giving the visitor a rank of Student if they still have to learn, or builder if they are competent to start building with the rest of us. That way they don't have to put in 2 applications, further to this we could make it so they can request a rank up if they believe they are ready and a Mod/Forman/(insert xeo's new name for them here) could judge.

Just some ideas I thought about.