Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Rant about YouTube - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Rant about YouTube (/thread-815.html)

Rant about YouTube - mort96 - 08-23-2013

Since its inception in 2005, YouTube has grown out of proportions. It is to videos what Google is to search.

With a user base of billions of people and thousands of hours of footage uploaded daily, you’d almost think they knew what they were doing. They do however lack in user interface.

Read as I rant on about YouTube!

RE: Rant about YouTube - WrytXander - 08-23-2013

(08-23-2013, 10:32 PM)mort96 Wrote: Since its inception in 2005, YouTube has grown out of proportions. It is to videos what Google is to search.

With a user base of billions of people and thousands of hours of footage uploaded daily, you’d almost think they knew what they were doing. They do however lack in user interface.

Read as I rant on about YouTube!

You know what, I couldn't agree more. YouTube UI is just disasterous. Th only thing that was a little optimistic, is the latest mobile update (which again, changes the looks, and adds pic-in-pic, thats it :/) It doesnt even let you see top comments. The web app is way better! That is why I have added a home screen bookmark of the web app, and use that. (I would be using ProTube but my Cydia is messed up)

RE: Rant about YouTube - Iceglade - 08-24-2013

I agree! Every freaking day they make it worse Tongue

RE: Rant about YouTube - Xray_Doc - 08-24-2013

Also all the comments on videos are from autistic 10 year olds.

RE: Rant about YouTube - newomaster - 08-24-2013

I hated the most recent youtube UI change. The one before it looked much MUCH better than the current one (as it allowed you to have a background for your whole page).

As for video quality, I've had similar problems on mobile as well. It's really annoying when it loads in terrible quality, even though I don't mind waiting for higher quality to load on slower internets.

On pc I was able to get a google chrome extension that makes videos always load in highest quality available which works pretty well.

RE: Rant about YouTube - Chibill - 08-24-2013

it loads in 780 0n my PC first and I have to turn it down and it stops then reloads that amount it had loaded for the past year.

RE: Rant about YouTube - Thor23 - 08-25-2013

I remember reading an article a few years back about a former Google engineer talking about how Google doesn't understand interfaces, and that it was (supposedly) the reason that Google+ wasn't more popular.

Still, ever since they bought it, Youtube has been just one interface change after another, and it does get pretty annoying. Plus, I don't remember even the slightest amount of videos being taken down because of copyright claims or whatever before Google bought it, so that bit is also annoying (if a bit understandable). But I would say that the one thing I DON'T get is, why are videos are restricted by region?? I mean, the internet is a GLOBAL phenomenon, so why is it that I can't watch videos that were uploaded from another country? Or, perhaps to be more precise, why is it that uploaders are allowed to restrict their video's views to a single country? Is there some reason that Google is supporting this xenophobic attitude towards viewership? Or are they just idiots? My money's on the latter. </small_rant>

RE: Rant about YouTube - Xeomorpher - 08-25-2013

they can't be idiots: they like python. Whilst they do have excellent resources, and can produce excellent server based things, they do seem confused and befuddled by how these squishy things poking buttons on computers work, though I'm sure python has a libary for this 'import human'.

RE: Rant about YouTube - Xray_Doc - 08-25-2013

No, they are idiots.