Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Redstone on college applications - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Redstone on college applications (/thread-7847.html)

Pages: 1 2

Redstone on college applications - newomaster - 09-24-2015

So soon I will be applying for colleges and I have a question which you guys might be able to weight input on: How do you think highly selective tech schools such as MIT would react to seeing redstone experience and redstone devices on their applications? They are all about accepting people with interesting and diverse interests, but I don't know if they will interpret redstone as "That's great, he spent a lot of time learning computer science." or "That's great, he spent a lot of time playing a video game and learning a pseudo-CS instead of learning real science and technology and creating real things." (which they advocate heavily)  (not to say I didn't do that either, but let's take redstone by itself for a moment). Yes, I'm sorry, I'm getting you into the redstone vs. real life debate again (please, no flame wars ... Sad ). My main concern is that admitting a video game took such a large portion of my life could actually appear off-putting and lazy to those who haven't become as accustomed to it as we are. The idea that someone can learn real life skills through a video game is still a relatively new idea. 

Personally I think I should include my redstone, since if anyone's going to find it interesting it's the guys over there at MIT, but what do you guys think?

Super serious post :O ... sorry about that xD

RE: Redstone on college applications - greatgamer34 - 09-24-2015

If its any help, I put that I had computer engineering experience. Which is more than true because im in my second year and still know more about computer engineering than anyone of my class mates.

RE: Redstone on college applications - Legofreak - 09-24-2015

Yeah, you don't necessarily have to say redstone specifically. Saying that you understand combinational/sequential logic and can simulate computer hardware in various software probably sounds a little better.

RE: Redstone on college applications - Mar_Win - 09-24-2015

Maybe it'd be easier for you to refer to Logisim or any other simulation software to prove your knowledge ^^

No Game - no shame?!

RE: Redstone on college applications - Nuuppanaani - 09-29-2015

(09-24-2015, 06:05 PM)Mar_Win Wrote: Maybe it'd be easier for you to refer to Logisim or any other simulation software to prove your knowledge ^^

No Game - no shame?!

This. Just to be safe you could build something with your excisting knowledge in Logisim or similar.

RE: Redstone on college applications - newomaster - 10-01-2015

Thanks for the responses guys, I've never used logism, but I'll definitely give it a shot. 

RE: Redstone on college applications - jxu - 10-01-2015

"Elite" colleges care much more about competitions (USAMO, ISEF, coding) than anything you could ever make in logisim and show off (unless you get some award for it)

RE: Redstone on college applications - Mar_Win - 10-01-2015

In germany universities focused on (Computer-) science are not that full, meaning that there is not so much of a competition to get your application accepted. I am sure that there are many people, who won't submit anything, so that Logisim won't be totally useless. Just do what you can. Whatever you will submit, it will show them you interest in the topic.

RE: Redstone on college applications - jxu - 10-02-2015

Well we're not talking about German ones are we? Wink

RE: Redstone on college applications - Guy1234567890 - 10-06-2015

I'd put it in there: if they don't like it then perhaps they aren't the best school for you.

- that said, make sure you explain what redstone is and why it's applicable to real life CS so people who don't know what it is don't dismiss it.