Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
HTML, CSS and JS suff - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: HTML, CSS and JS suff (/thread-708.html)

HTML, CSS and JS suff - Billman555555 - 08-07-2013

I have some experience in HTML 4 but none in HTML 5 + CSS.
I want to stick to HTML 4 so I don't need to learn CSS but whatever
is better is good for me SO:

Discuss.

RE: HTML 4 vs HTML 5 - mort96 - 08-07-2013

HTML is just a markup language. The differences between version 4 and 5 of said markup language aren't too big.

What people mean with the marketing buzzword HTML 5 is the combination of JavaScript, HTML, CSS and PHP to create more interactive websites and browser apps.

Now, should you use PHP, JS, HTML and CSS instead of just plain HTML?

Yes. You should use CSS. CSS makes your code about a gazillion times more maintainable and readable, aswell as allowing for more interesting designs. When using CSS and HTML, you have all the elements on your page in one file, and have all the layout in another file. It's really worth learning CSS.

Sadly, when I tried to learn it, many of the tutorials on the topic were confusing. I found that they didn't really explain _what_ CSS is. I thought of it more as a language, like JavScript and PHP. What it really is though, is something really simple: it's simply a way to assign attributes to elements on a page, like where they're positioned relative to each other or what their color is.

What about JavaScript and PHP? Do you need those?

Well, that depends. It really opens up a lot of possibilities for making your site more interactive. It's simply a matter of using the languages if you happen to need them for what you're trying to achieve.

What's important to remember, is that PHP is executed server side, while JS is executed client side.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask :3

RE: HTML 4 vs HTML 5 - Chibill - 08-07-2013

And you don't have to use css or anything other that html.

RE: HTML 4 vs HTML 5 - Billman555555 - 08-08-2013

I have started to learn some CSS and JS but need some help so I renamed this page.
First: I need a system of accounts, I have a bsic JS array system but it is unreliable.
Second: I will post some more stuff later?

RE: HTML, CSS and JS suff - mort96 - 08-08-2013

With accounts, you'll need SQL and PHP. There are some really great tutorials out there. When I made the ORE schems page, I used one of the video tutorials on YouTube. Search for something like "PHP login tutorial".

RE: HTML, CSS and JS suff - Billman555555 - 08-08-2013

php?
you mean like /showthread.php?
what is it and how does it work?

RE: HTML, CSS and JS suff - mort96 - 08-08-2013

PHP is a language which is executed server side. It originally stood for Personal Home Page, but nowadays it stands for PHP Hypertext Preprocessor. The PHP in "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor" still stands for Personal Home Page however.

You'd generally want an SQL database which contains information about your users. Let's say it contains two values for each user: username and password (ignoring any kind of encryption for now).

You'd want to have a regular website, build with CSS, HTML and JS, where the user enters his username and password. Then you'd send that data to a server-side PHP script, which checks the username/password the user entered up against the username/password stored in the SQL database. If they match, it redirects the user to another page, and does some shenanigans with sessions. If not, it redirects the user back to the login form.

As I said, there are some great youtube videos on the topic.

RE: HTML, CSS and JS suff - Billman555555 - 08-08-2013

Thanks Mort.
So i have setup 4 pages on my PC.
Code:
home.html
about.html
ranks.html
links.html
Then i have a CSS for styles
Code:
styles.css
Now why on all webpages does it say
Code:
www.Webpagenamehere.com/pages/index.php?
Not
Code:
www.Webpagenamehere.com/pages/index.html