Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Maybe serious 1.8 issue - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Maybe serious 1.8 issue (/thread-6100.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Maybe serious 1.8 issue - slugdude - 04-05-2015

Four words:

Redstone
Now
Loads
Chunks

Implications? People could leave CPUs running and not freeze up when they leave.

My opinon? I personally don't see this as something major. We have a very powerful machine running the server (<3 Mort), and other Redstone servers *cough* stym's *cough* are, for the most part, unaffected by this. The reason being that they have a rule to not leave clocks running, and staff having the right to turn clocks off.

ORE solution: I think we should take the same approach as stym's. Why? Bcause the other alternatives are 1. Don't do 1.8. We can't do that because Nick will commit suicide. Or there's 2, have a plugin that freezes clocks. The problem I have with this is how a plugin determines what constitutes as a clock. It is possible that running CPU's may be stopped and random parts locking up and being disabled because of this; these plugins were designed for non-redstone centered servers who wouldn't have these issues. I think this change is a good thing as we are no longer limited in the size of our redstone devices by render distance. Also, intOREnet probably won't work under plugin/repeater freezing conditions.

So we ultimately have 3 options as a server.

1. Stay 1.7.9 (Nick will die)
2. Plugin which freezes clocks (CPUs and intOREnet will die)
3. Rule requesting you switch clocks off and staff have the right to stop clocks. (Nothing dies, but maybe a few minutes of staff time a day.)

As for my source, I cannot find something that confirms this, but I tested with different speed clocks in both single player and the 1.8 test server nick has set up. As stated above, stym's server (1.8.3), redstone clocks do not freeze.

RE: Maybe serious 1.8 issue - Nickster258 - 04-05-2015

There are anti-clock plugins available that detect clocks. If we can pair that with it being in a loaded chunk, meaning someone is in that area, then we can solve it.

Otherwise, at the moment, just turn off clocks. CPUs left running have not really been an issue in the past.

RE: Maybe serious 1.8 issue - Chibill - 04-05-2015

When we Redstone loading chunks added? / where you get this info.

RE: Maybe serious 1.8 issue - Apuly - 04-05-2015

What chi said

RE: Maybe serious 1.8 issue - slugdude - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 02:05 AM)Nickster258 Wrote: There are anti-clock plugins available that detect clocks. If we can pair that with it being in a loaded chunk, meaning someone is in that area, then we can solve it.

Otherwise, at the moment, just turn off clocks. CPUs left running have not really been an issue in the past.

Well this whole chunk thing is a godsend for intOREnet, I'd like to keep it if possible, hence why I suggested the rule.

(04-05-2015, 04:41 AM)Chibill Wrote: When we Redstone loading chunks added? / where you get this info.

Not sure exactly. Mojang saw it as a 'bug' since it was reported in the bug tracker. Either in 1.8, 1.8.1, 1.8.2 or 1.8.3. Read bottom of my post.

(04-05-2015, 02:05 AM)Nickster258 Wrote: If we can pair that with it being in a loaded chunk, 

But can we even?

Still, the Redstone loading chunks could be a very important change and we could see a number of devices stem from this change (*cough* intOREnet *cough*)

Maybe we could have a plugin like this:
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/redstone-clock-detector/#comments

Maybe not exactly this, since it tells you about ALL redstone activities.

It doesn't actually stop clocks, it lists them and allows you to tp to them.

As I mentioned, this might not be idea since it lists all redstone activities, which we will sort of have a lot of on a redstone server.

(04-05-2015, 02:05 AM)Nickster258 Wrote: CPUs left running have not really been an issue in the past.

Most lag from CPUs and other large devices is clientside and only affects those near to the CPU.

The exact rule on clocks for stym's is:

Quote:Fast pulsers and all contraptions that uses pistons or clocks should be toggleable (if possible). Do NOT leave your clocks working when you're leaving, this causes lag.

I think we should have a rule like this one.