Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
IizR14 - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: IizR14 (/thread-5960.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

IizR14 - LordDecapo - 03-11-2015

So as many of you know I have been working on my IizR IS and Architecture for quite some time now. I have learned so much on this journey to making a system I can be truly proud of.

On this journey I have gotten assistance with many aspects of the system and in that process met a bunch of great people (love you ppl of ORE! And I thank you... Special shout out to Dylan and Voltz who have been helping me since nearly the beginning and continue to do so)

Also thanks Embi for the bad ass 6tick ALU design Big Grin
that along with a bussing issue (couldn't export the PCs current value via parellel bus to an external program memory) is why I went from IizR13 to 14.

So now I finally feel I need to commit to a system and finish it to fully run all the programs and features we have been adding and planning over all this time.

I know I have said this before, yet this time I mean it. I truly can not find an honest benifit from increasing the clock speed any farther or changing the stages. As they have been refined so much; changing it would end up speeding up one thing and slowing down another. Any changes to that would have to happen after being able to fully test the programs we plan to make. So as of now the following will be accurate and only subject to very minor changes (if a bug comes up)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The final Specs are as follows;
-6 Tick Clock (1.667hz)
-6 Stage pipeline (3 of which are just fetching from my massive PROM, so the CPU itself is only 4)
-both software and hardware based Interrupts
-256 Bytes of RAM (31 are memory mapped to PC, stack over flow, system status etc) (6 cycle access penalty)
-16 Bytes of LRU-2 L1 Cache (2 cycle access penalty)
-32 Bytes of LRU L2 Cache (4 cycle access penalty)
-14 GPR's (some of which will be kernel/function specific, will define in detail at later date)
-15th register is mapped to a data stack
-there is a ZR
-256 Bytes of PROM (will hold a VERY VERY basic kernel as well as a bunch of predefined functions)
-Dual 8bit PCs, to allow you to access apx 16k lines of code from an external source
-Timer (for various uses)

-and of course it features the IizR-IS and uses IizR Architecture (both are my brain child babies, and I love them both with all my heart haha)

~~~

These specs are an improvement over the 8 Stage 10 tick clock IizR12 design and the 6 Stage 8 tick clock IizR13.
NOTE: IizR14 has 1 stage more then IizR13, but the CPU it self is still the same 4 stages, the extra stage had to be added so I can still access 256 Byte PROM.

_______
I am currently at work so it's hard to add pictures, but later today I will upload a picture of the newest IS and a recent shot of the CPU progress.

Also there will be documentation released closer to completion that will explain my architecture and system as well as instructions on how to use and program it that should be HIGHLY indepth. Big Grin

TL;DR IizR14 is better then IizR13, and made it since I got a faster ALU, and had a major bussing bug I overlooked.

Thanks for reading Big Grin

RE: IizR14 - VoltzLive - 03-11-2015

happy to help on such an amazing project.

RE: IizR14 - LordDecapo - 03-11-2015

(03-11-2015, 03:30 PM)VoltzLive Wrote: happy to help on such an amazing project.

Big Grin been great having someone to criticize my ideas from more of a software perspective.
I think we have found a happy median between hardware and software opimization

RE: IizR14 - greatgamer34 - 03-11-2015

Im looking forward to this! Big Grin I love the 2 levels of caching. I hope you actually get r done this time :3

RE: IizR14 - fuirippu - 03-11-2015

Can't wait to see this implemented... hopefully I'll have time to study the IS and have a program ready to run (...or ready to debug at least)

(03-11-2015, 02:30 PM)LordDecapo Wrote: -there is a ZR

What's a ZR ?

Quote: -256 Bytes of PROM (will hold a VERY VERY basic kernel as well as a bunch of predefined functions)
-Dual 8bit PCs, to allow you to access apx 16k lines of code from an external source

Does this mean that the PROM is purely for the CPU, and that "user code" is supplied from the external source?

RE: IizR14 - LordDecapo - 03-12-2015

(03-11-2015, 08:56 PM)fuirippu Wrote: Can't wait to see this implemented... hopefully I'll have time to study the IS and have a program ready to run (...or ready to debug at least)

(03-11-2015, 02:30 PM)LordDecapo Wrote: -there is a ZR

What's a ZR ?

Quote: -256 Bytes of PROM (will hold a VERY VERY basic kernel as well as a bunch of predefined functions)

Does this mean that the PROM is purely for the CPU, and that "user code" is supplied from the external source?

ZR = Zero Register

only for the copies of the CPU that will have the kernel, if you want to just run a single small program that is fully self contained u can load that no problem into the PROM, i said that part cause in my personal copy it will be so

RE: IizR14 - fuirippu - 03-12-2015

Hmmm... ZR... now I want one.

RE: IizR14 - greatgamer34 - 03-12-2015

It literally is address 000 and always outputs 0.

RE: IizR14 - Magic :^) - 03-12-2015

basically don't hook up a read to address 000

RE: IizR14 - Chibill - 03-12-2015

Don't hook anything to 000