Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
intOREnet - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: intOREnet (/thread-5661.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: intOREnet - GISED_Link - 07-16-2015

You can work with people here... Like how the IPv4 was created. I'm sure there are a lot of people wich are full ready to contribute for the project. In my opinion the project is so big that you have to collaborate (otherwise the project will never have an acceptable release date).

Anyway. We are still waiting for some datasheet of your project

RE: intOREnet - Apuly - 07-16-2015

I'm pretty sure he hasn't made any data sheets.

RE: intOREnet - slugdude - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 08:20 PM)GISED_Link Wrote: You can work with people here... Like how the IPv4 was created. I'm sure there are a lot of people wich are full ready to contribute for the project. In my opinion the project is so big that you have to collaborate (otherwise the project will never have an acceptable release date).

Anyway. We are still waiting for some datasheet of your project

Since I'm banned I'd see it difficult to collaborate with someone.

I'm not really sure how to explain it, but only one layer 1 protocol will be supported. I'll see if I can give you a more detailed explanation at a later date.

Edit: Actually I'm pretty sure only one layer 3 and 2 protocol will be supported, but I have little idea what this actually means.

RE: intOREnet - Apuly - 07-17-2015

Layer 3 is a network,
Layer 2 is comminucation between networks;
in layman's terms

RE: intOREnet - slugdude - 07-25-2015

Well, here is as I understand:

Two redstone wires will connect a switch to another switch, one each way. Each switch has a maximum of four connection to neighboring switches. When a packet arrives, the provided address is 'translated' to a 2 bit number which codes for which of it's four connections the original packet should be sent.

This process is repeated over and over until the packet reaches it's intended destination.

Each device (but not switches!) connected to intOREnet receives a universal 8 bit address. 
This consists of two parts

The first 6 bits is the address of the 'hub' it is connected to. A hub is like a switch, but altered slightly so that it works with local networks.

The last 2 bits is which physical port on the 'hub' it is connected to. There are three ports on each hub (not four).

Each switch has a pile of memory that stores which of it's connections a packet must be sent for EACH 6 bit address it is not calculated on-the-fly as this would take a long time.

These 8-bit addresses are not unlike IP addresses, the main difference being these cannot be changed after assignment (although you can switch the physical port a dilevice is connected to thus changing the last two bits)

Never, ever, ever, ever send a packet to 00000000, because this is special and used for assignment.

Address 111111XX can be used similarly to 192.168.X.X, it is internal. The XX is the physical port the local device is connected to (00, 01 or 10). Since it is impossible for anything to have the address 11111111, it can be used like 127.0.0.1.

intOREnet does NOT guarantee the safe delivery of a packet, nor does it guarantee that a packet sent to the same address twice will take the same time to be delivered each time.

So, a packet sent from your devices must contain the following elements, in this order:
  • A lead bit
  • An 8 bit destination address as explained above.
  • A lead bit (these make things easier when cutting up the serial packet.)
  • An 8 bit source address (your address)
  • Another lead bit
  • 4 bits that will be a packet number. (Although strictly not necessary, this will allow clients to stitch data sent over multiple packets together should they be received in a different order)
  • Another lead bit
  • 4 bytes (yes, bytes) that is a blank canvas. This is your 'data'. It will not be altered or read by the switches themselves, and any structure or such can be placed within here. It does not have to fill all 4 bytes.
I am unfamiliar with the IRL standards for laying out this shit and I can't seem to find anything about it online. I hope this cleared up some misunderstanding.

RE: intOREnet - fluffy406 - 07-25-2015

just go with RON

RE: intOREnet - Apuly - 07-25-2015

Here, have something that you're not supposed to have.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IPv4 has been in use since 1983 when it was deployed on the Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET), which was the precursor to the Internet. The Internet is largely based on IPv4, which is still the most widely-used network layer protocol.

An IPv4 packet has two parts:
  • IP Header - Identifies the packet characteristics.
  • Payload - Contains the Layer 4 segment information and the actual data.
As shown in the figure, an IPv4 packet header consists of fields containing important information about the packet. These fields contain binary numbers which are examined by the Layer 3 process. The binary values of each field identify various settings of the IP packet.
Significant fields in the IPv4 header include:
  • Version - Contains a 4-bit binary value identifying the IP packet version. For IPv4 packets, this field is always set to 0100.
  • Differentiated Services (DS) - Formerly called the Type of Service (ToS) field, the DS field is an 8-bit field used to determine the priority of each packet. The first 6 bits identify the Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) value that is used by a quality of service (QoS) mechanism. The last 2 bits identify the explicit congestion notification (ECN) value that can be used to prevent dropped packets during times of network congestion.
  • Time-to-Live (TTL) - Contains an 8-bit binary value that is used to limit the lifetime of a packet. It is specified in seconds but is commonly referred to as hop count. The packet sender sets the initial time-to-live (TTL) value and is decreased by one each time the packet is processed by a router, or hop. If the TTL field decrements to zero, the router discards the packet and sends an Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Time Exceeded message to the source IP address. The traceroute command uses this field to identify the routers used between the source and destination.
  • Protocol - This 8-bit binary value indicates the data payload type that the packet is carrying, which enables the network layer to pass the data to the appropriate upper-layer protocol. Common values include ICMP (1), TCP (6), and UDP (17).
  • Source IP Address - Contains a 32-bit binary value that represents the source IP address of the packet.
  • Destination IP Address - Contains a 32-bit binary value that represents the destination IP address of the packet.
The two most commonly referenced fields are the source and destination IP addresses. These fields identify where the packet is from and where it is going. Typically these addresses do not change while travelling from the source to the destination.

[Image: a0c3f7a95b.png]

RE: intOREnet - Apuly - 07-25-2015

Also, this seems to have all the information you want/need: http://teachweb.milin.cc/datacommunicatie/network_layer.htm

RE: intOREnet - slugdude - 07-25-2015

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ.

The layer two protocol is simply a lead bit, a two bit number that codes for which connection the switch should use, then the whole layer three packet, including header, inside it's 'data' section. However, you will NEVER have to deal with layer two, as it is only used within a switch, and is not actually sent between them. The difference between intOREnet and The Internet is that the layer three packet is interpreted at each switch, rather than only once. The hubs and switches all expect to receive the intOREnet layer 3 protocol. Only one will ever be supported, probably. It goes as follows:

[Image: JfUtlh9.jpg]

The '1's must always be 1s.

From bit 10 (d) onwards, this is actually irrelevant to the switches' operation. It is this protocol that MUST be used when a device sends a packet to it's hub, and this same, unaltered (mostly, see below) packet is received by the recipient at the other end.

When sending a packet, the source address does not need to be correct. The hub will make the source address correct for you, so it should be left as 00000000.

I hope this is a little clearer. 

RE: intOREnet - fluffy406 - 07-27-2015

holy sheit 56bits