Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Java vs Lua - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Java vs Lua (/thread-554.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Java vs Lua - mad1231999 - 07-17-2013

(07-17-2013, 10:27 AM)Thor23 Wrote: Why do I get the feeling that we're having two different conversations? I realize that from a practical perspective, it's better to use specific languages for specific tasks, and that some languages are faster than others - but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the syntax that's written to do those tasks, the thought that constructs used throughout the different languages are analogous.
So that, from a functionality standpoint,
for(int a=0; a < 10; a++){cout << a << endl;}
is operationally equivalent to
for a in range(10): print a
so there's really no difference between them except for the way they're written.

Yes there is. C++ is compiled, Python is interpreted.

RE: Java vs Lua - Xeomorpher - 07-17-2013

And more to the point,
java is terrible
and lua is awful.

RE: Java vs Lua - Thor23 - 07-18-2013

(07-17-2013, 08:59 PM)mad1231999 Wrote:
(07-17-2013, 10:27 AM)Thor23 Wrote: Why do I get the feeling that we're having two different conversations? I realize that from a practical perspective, it's better to use specific languages for specific tasks, and that some languages are faster than others - but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the syntax that's written to do those tasks, the thought that constructs used throughout the different languages are analogous.
so there's really no difference between them except for the way they're written.

*facepalm* I.. I feel like I need to be speaking very slowly in order for you to get the point I'm trying to make. Better yet, I'll make an analogy: You need to get to the airport, and have two vehicles in the driveway that you can take to get there. One of them is a truck, the other an electric car. Both vehicles run on different forms of energy, have different features, and look different - but both are completely capable of getting you to the airport. So which one you choose to take makes no difference, as the end result is the same: you arrive at the airport.

RE: Java vs Lua - Xeomorpher - 07-18-2013

What if the truck drives into a tree?

RE: Java vs Lua - qwerasd205 - 07-18-2013

(07-18-2013, 04:03 PM)Xeomorpher Wrote: What if the truck drives into a tree?
i fart!

(07-17-2013, 09:20 PM)Xeomorpher Wrote: And more to the point,
java is terrible
and lua is awful.

(07-18-2013, 09:21 AM)Thor23 Wrote:

*facepalm* I.. I feel like I need to be speaking very slowly in order for you to get the point I'm trying to make. Better yet, I'll make an analogy: You need to get to the airport, and have two vehicles in the driveway that you can take to get there. One of them is a truck, the other an electric car. Both vehicles run on different forms of energy, have different features, and look different - but both are completely capable of getting you to the airport. So which one you choose to take makes no difference, as the end result is the same: you arrive at the airport.

(07-18-2013, 04:20 PM)qwerasd205 Wrote:
i fart!

QUOTE PYRAMIDS!!!

fail to pyramid quote!

RE: Java vs Lua - Xeomorpher - 07-18-2013

No.

RE: Java vs Lua - qwerasd205 - 07-18-2013

No.
(07-18-2013, 09:25 PM)Xeomorpher Wrote: No.

RE: Java vs Lua - Thor23 - 07-19-2013

That's the driver's fault, not the truck's.

RE: Java vs Lua - Xeomorpher - 07-19-2013

What if the front wishbone shears off?

RE: Java vs Lua - Thor23 - 07-19-2013

The what? Is the truck now a chicken or something? Why are you nitpicking like this anyway? All of this is as irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make as the significance of being interpreted or compiled is.