Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Java vs Lua - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Java vs Lua (/thread-554.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Java vs Lua - mort96 - 07-13-2013

then I'm honestly quite interested in what that "much more" is..

RE: Java vs Lua - mad1231999 - 07-16-2013

I must side with Lua here. It does have a retarded syntax, but it is very cleverly constructed. They way you can use environments and metatables makes it really fucking flexible, and it's very easy to implement very abstract solutions.

So to everyone here, learn a language before bashing it. And I mean learn it, learn the in's and out's of it, not just learn the syntax.

Though, I don't like it. It's too flexible in my opinion. GO C.

RE: Java vs Lua - Thor23 - 07-16-2013

Personally, I don't think what language you use matters; any language is capable of performing identically given the right commands. Which really makes it a matter of preference as to which language is better. I like C++ because it has fairly simple structures, but from these basic elements, something enormously complex can be created. I don't think that that makes it better, it's just the language that I find suits me best and that I enjoy using. And isn't that all that really matters?

RE: Java vs Lua - Xeomorpher - 07-16-2013

That would be very nice, but it is faaar from the truth.
Virtual machines and interpreters and compilers will not perform the same instructions on the CPU, python is VERY slow, due to it's interpreted nature, another example would be C#, whose virtual machine will not decide whether to interpret of compile a thingy, and will often interpret code it would have been faster not to. Java, on the other hand is memory consuming as hell, and awful in every way.

RE: Java vs Lua - Thor23 - 07-16-2013

What I meant was that, writing two programs in two different languages to perform the same operations will give you the same output. I understand that other differences like whether the language is compiled/interpreted or managed/unmanaged would effect things like memory usage or speed, or what actual instructions are carried out by the CPU, but they wouldn't effect the outcomes of the programs if they're both written to do the same thing.

RE: Java vs Lua - Xeomorpher - 07-16-2013

but they affect how fast it is done, and how much it leeches off other processes, which are kinda important; they are why we hate notch.

RE: Java vs Lua - Chibill - 07-17-2013

I like java personally but python is more dificaled when it comes to thoses indents java just wants its ; after most lines.

RE: Java vs Lua - Thor23 - 07-17-2013

(07-16-2013, 09:08 PM)Xeomorpher Wrote: but they affect how fast it is done, and how much it leeches off other processes, which are kinda important; they are why we hate notch.

If you're going to be talking about speed, then you have to keep in mind that programs on older computers are going to run slower then on newer ones. And likewise, programs written now running on future computers will run faster than they do now. The hardware is just as important as the software. And its for that reason that speed is irrelevant - code can always run faster on newer hardware. Just because one language implementation is slower than another on identical hardware does not make the slower language 'bad'. It just means that it's slower.

RE: Java vs Lua - Xeomorpher - 07-17-2013

No - I love python, which is very slow, but if you're using a task that requires speed, such as any game, or large amounts of data processing, speed really does matter - You exclude all low end machines from using your software.

RE: Java vs Lua - Thor23 - 07-17-2013

Why do I get the feeling that we're having two different conversations? I realize that from a practical perspective, it's better to use specific languages for specific tasks, and that some languages are faster than others - but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the syntax that's written to do those tasks, the thought that constructs used throughout the different languages are analogous.
So that, from a functionality standpoint,
for(int a=0; a < 10; a++){cout << a << endl;}
is operationally equivalent to
for a in range(10): print a
so there's really no difference between them except for the way they're written.