Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Is communism good or evil? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Shenanigans (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-31.html)
+---- Thread: Is communism good or evil? (/thread-4986.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Is communism good or evil? - AltruismAndCake - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 06:21 PM)greatgamer34 Wrote: i have no sheep, you have 7, i want 3 and 1/2 sheep from you...

more like i have no sheep and an empty stomach, you have enough for your family for 5 generations, why can't you share one?

I'm not posting this stuff because I believe in communism, but because I believe there should be creative critical thinking involved in our arguments. So far all I'm seeing is rehashed one liners. BTW who actually read the first post before voting? Interesting stuff I tell you :3

TSO apparently you're the only one who was able to convince me about ICA when I was clearly wrong. Can you convince on this topic too, or are you not touching this argument? :3

To all who complain about my opinion... THIS... IS... SHENANIGANS! *kick*

RE: Is communism good or evil? - Nuuppanaani - 10-31-2014

[Image: tumblr_lljt7jf0kv1qe2mq3o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: troll%2Bscience%2Binfinite%2Bcash%2Bproblem.png]

You underestimate my powers

[Image: Troll+You+underestimate+my+power..jpg]

RE: Is communism good or evil? - greatgamer34 - 10-31-2014

i. just. died. I went through the cash in a box picture like 40 times in my head...

RE: Is communism good or evil? - jxu - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 01:38 AM)AltruismAndCake Wrote: WARNING SOB STORY AHEAD
In my dad's days he lived in a poor family that couldn't buy him new clothes, so he had hand-me-down bell bottom pants. They constantly complained about not having enough money.

Have you forgotten the long bread lines in Russia or the mass starvation of peasants in China?

(10-31-2014, 09:19 PM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote:
(10-31-2014, 01:38 AM)AltruismAndCake Wrote: WARNING SOB STORY AHEAD
In my dad's days he lived in a poor family that couldn't buy him new clothes, so he had hand-me-down bell bottom pants. They constantly complained about not having enough money.

Have you forgotten the long bread lines in Russia or the mass starvation of peasants in China?

No I haven't forgotten that, I thought I mentioned that those aren't considered communist countries by those using Marx definition or people who actually believe in communism. Your attacking a straw man. If someone says they're believe and follow nihilism and then tell all others that they are evil for believing otherwise, are they really a nihilist? If a claims to be a law abiding citizen, and then guns down people in front of you, are they really law abiding? If someone starts a revolution in the name of communism, kills people on purpose, and instates a dictatorship to "watch over" the people to make sure they obey "communism", are they really a communist instating communism? Doesn't the idea of needing people to watch over communism mean that you are instating a class system? The watchers and the watched?

As far as I understand, there are three views on communism: one is the kind that you incite rebellion with. The second is the kind Marx describe, which isn't a government at all, it's what he believes is a natural progression of things (capitalism -> angry workers -> liberalism -> communism) Note that, according to his theory, there has never been a true communism. Finally there's the third, which is voluntary communism, people willingly share all/most of what they have with each other. These have existed LONG ago, and worked just fine throughout history.

BTW one-liner much? (yes i'm instigating you)

On a more positive note, good job on the probability question, yes that is the right answer

RE: Is communism good or evil? - jxu - 10-31-2014

The first and third you describe are not valid categories. You could say the regimes in China and Russia aren't "real communism", just as your dad not having enough money isn't "real capitalism". Community sharing has existed for thousands of years in tribes and small villages, but try to build a complex governmental institution out of it. "But it could work if it was done properly! It would be amazing!" I wait for the day the amazing arrives.

RE: Is communism good or evil? - Xray_Doc - 10-31-2014

Haha le 9 geg maymays

The first and third you describe are not valid categories.

The first and third examples of belief vs fact or the examples of communism?

You could say the regimes in China and Russia aren't "real communism", just as your dad not having enough money isn't "real capitalism".

But then your whole argument for capitalism goes out the window doesn't it? You said that capitalism led to the greatest increase in standard of living, but if there's no "real capitalism" then how do the two statements co-exist? If your argument is that capitalism gets better as it becomes more pure, what is your recommendation to make the current capitalism more pure?

Community sharing has existed for thousands of years in tribes and small villages, but try to build a complex governmental institution out of it.

Then don't... simple as that.

I wait for the day the amazing arrives.

I'm pretty certainly it won't happen in our lifetimes... I'm not saying that as a pessimist or in anger, but as someone who thinks most people are just drifting through life, cruise control, questioning nothing that really matters... just arguing over shallow things, maybe like we are now...

RE: Is communism good or evil? - AFtExploision - 10-31-2014

Communism is great as a concept. Notice the as a concept. The problem is, Marxist communism does not work with actual humans. For a communist system to work, you'd need a strong government / agency that would moderate the economy. Yes, it theoretically has a 0 unemployment rate because everyone is assigned a job, but it doesn't allow for motivation or competition that creates new innovation. Also, every government that has attempted communism has turned totalitarian, and that's no good. Perhaps a mixed economy is the best, such as modern day China has.

Communism also presents a question: If I'm the one that earned / inherited this wealth, why does anyone else have a right to it? This is the flaw most people have with Communism, and why people are resentful of it. Face it, communism has a pretty bad track record showing that it doesn't work without free market elements.