Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Ideas for server rules - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Ideas for server rules (/thread-4975.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ideas for server rules - greatgamer34 - 10-28-2014

1)Visitors

Ok so if youre new to this server, you are automatically a visitor. Here are a few of my rules
that you should follow as a visitor.

I'm implementing a 4 step warning system.

a)Warning 1, is verbal(please stop doing that)
b)Warning 2, is a kick
c)warning 3, is a tempban
d)warning 4, is a permban

This system is wonderful because if you are doing something wrong, that you didnt know was wrong you get a "get out of jail free card.", aka the verbal warning.

2)Guests

Guests are more trusted members of the community that are still not allowed to build on the server.

Their warning system will be the same as visitors except instead of a kick, they get demoted to visitor. I feel this is justifiable because you were once a trusted guest.

3)Members

Members are part of our community that can build and are usually very knowledgable.

This is their warning guidlines and is similar to visitors.

a)Warning 1, is verbal(please stop doing that)
b)Warning 2, is a kick

4)Students

Students are part of our other server hosting the school server, they are usually not ver knowledgeable and are still learning.

Student warnings are the same as visitors

You are permitted to learn from other students, just remember that theose other students are still learning and my teach you wrong.
If someone of a higher rank informs you of this, they are just trying to help.
Do not think they are a bad person for telling you that the student that was teaching you was wrong.

5)Teachers

Since teachers have to be members on build to get this rank, they have the same warnings as build members.

6)Staff

Staff, are staff because they are trusted high ranking members in the community.

There is not a 'warning' system but more along the lines of how to handle things.

a)Respect other staff members decisions
b)Dont favor one side of a story over another without first having read the logs(not just screenshots)
c)If a staff member is misbehaving, PM them, then report on forums in the R-box. From there if the issue is big enough, it will go to the public.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for everyone:

Racism is not going to be tolerated, the same goes with using any (gay) terms in a derrogatory way.

Keep religion out of debates on the server and on the forums.

Respect one another, if you are having a problem with someone report it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF YOU GET BANNED:

Think about why you got banned.

What you could have done to not get banned.

Was my ban necessary? Was there a reason I shouldnt have gotten banned.

Think about your ban before you appeal.

Bans are issues for a reason and if someone bans you they are not a 'badmin', they are simply doing their job.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: New Rules I am going to follow and expect others to aswell - tyler569 - 10-28-2014

Not that I have any special input on policy anymore, but I simply must respond to this:

Whoa, dude, calm down a moment.

greatgamer34 Wrote:I'm implementing a 4 step warning system.

Just taking control are we? No more productive admin debate?

greatgamer34 Wrote:a)Warning 1, is verbal(please stop doing that)
b)Warning 2, is a kick

Is way harsher than ORE/the RDF has ever been. I think I'm generally regarded as 'no-nonsense' and I would give more than 4 warnings. I usually used to give 2 or 3 before I would even kick someone.

There is a disturbingly long thread over in incidents (reference) about how quick you are to snap at someone / kick them / ban them, and I notice you've started banning people on my forum as well, do you *really* think implementing a strict ruleset is what this community needs right now? If you ask me, (should you desire my advice) you need to lay the fuck off for a while, because all you'll end up doing is pissing people off and scaring away potential members.

~Tyler

RE: New Rules I am going to follow and expect others to aswell - Guy1234567890 - 10-28-2014

^agreed

Concerned, uninvolved - redstonewarrior - 10-28-2014

Something is wrong here, and there is has been no discussion before this announcement. I think staff needs to have a discussion about recent events, especially before posting something like this to the announcements section. People should, of course, both be decent and expect staff to get involved when people are acting poorly, but this post is more concerning than productive. I agree with tyler; this is scary. I think you should have a talk.

RE: New Rules I am going to follow and expect others to aswell - Xeomorpher - 10-28-2014

I've only ever been anywhere close to that hash with visitors alone. And that's only if they join and instantly make it known they're going to be arseholes.

Can we get some actual discussion in here too, because we've long been centred around the principles of openness, and simply banning ANY discussion involving religion goes violently against that.

Apart from that, I somewhat disagree with banning the use of any terms relating to homosexuality in a demeaning or insulting manner. Most of these are now quite literally plain insults, like most of our swear words, (motherfucker, cunt, bastard, bitch ...) and when used have no meaning beyond this.

We need a lot of serious discussion before we attempt an overhaul of this scale.

RE: New Rules I am going to follow and expect others to aswell - PabloDons - 10-28-2014

I will quote Ice (despite all dem requests not to): "if it's not broken, don't fix it, that will break it" (or something to that matter)
I think the current system is perfectly fine. The guidelines has been the greatest troublemaker filter since ORE was created. I think that staff members should decide what to do on the go, because making rules can lead to confusion like what Xeo (yes, he's actually alive) pointed out. As long as nothing is directed against another player or group of people, it shouldn't matter whatever you say, be it swear words or racial remarks. making rules for what should be punished and what shouldn't makes it hard to avoid punishing a comment that meant no harm.

To set this in perspective, I will go as far as to say that setting rules like "zero tolerance for racism" would encourage banning any and all who say the word "black" in a racial relation. That's absolutely unacceptable for me because not every sentence containing that word is racist and offensive.

RE: New Rules I am going to follow and expect others to aswell - TSO - 10-28-2014

I won't vote in this poll because it has little effect on me; but GG, overall, this policy is counter-productive to what you are tying to defend. It appears, from my point of view, you are trying to find a solution to the complaints in other threads about your style of administration. The goal of creating a defined pattern of warnings is a good solution to the problem, but their main complaint about your method is how fast you are to a ban and that you are seen as somewhat insulting to members. You may not see it the same way, but a totalitarian declaration of how you will ban members made immediately after you got tired of defending your position actually does nothing but prove their point.

The fast nature of your ban system doesn't help much either.

I will again say a set of rules should exist, but considering the complaints, they should be more along the following lines:

The staff represent the site. As such, they should conduct themselves in the most polite and concise manner of all members in the forums. The staff gives an impression of how others are allowed to behave, so the staff should not only follow the rules, the staff should also exemplify how a user should conduct themselves in a forum or server. I would advise the staff avoids the use of harsh language, and in the forums, the staff should try their best to use proper language to set a standard for other users. A forum is meant for discussion and communication. Text speak and 1337 are not conducive to the development of a forum.

As representatives of the site as a whole, the staff should encourage the use of public debate, and allow for non-staff to give input on their opinion about changes in administrative policy.

Administrative consensus should be encouraged before action is taken, especially before deciding when to make a permanent decision about banning a member.

If you need a set ban policy, it should encourage collaboration and "second chances." A decent base, but by no means a good final model, would be this. (I haven't even done the math to verify that some of the bans are physically possible.)

Multiple intentionally insulting comments will result in a three hour ban (which will be considered a kick), accompanied by an email describing why the kick occurred.

Spamming will be warned.
2 or 3 repeated warnings within the time span of a week will result in a three day temp ban.

Griefing will result in an immediate (possibly permanent) ban.

Now, the rest is the most important part.

Three kicks or two three day bans will result in an additional one week temp ban.

More than three one week bans within the span of six months will result in a one year ban.

Receiving another one year ban results in a permanent ban.

All bans will go on a six month record. Any year long ban goes on a permanent record.

Avoiding any ban for any reason reason will result in an immediate permanent IP ban.

All bans will result in an email explaining the ban

Any ban longer than three days must be discussed publicly with at least two staff members reaching a consensus.

Exceptionally serious infractions may skip directly to permanent banning, but only after a unanimous consensus from three staff members, one of which must be an administrator.

Any repeated ban longer than one week will revoke a member status, returning them to guest status.

Any repeated ban for a visitor longer than one week will result in a six month ban.

All repeats except year bans are constrained to six months maximum.

Any infraction that would qualify for multiple bans will receive them cumulatively and will be counted toward each distinct ban repeat.

RE: New Rules I am going to follow and expect others to aswell - Xray_Doc - 10-28-2014

I know it's kind of off topic, but with all the other types of conversations banned, will political ones be banned as well?

RE: New Rules I am going to follow and expect others to aswell - mort96 - 10-28-2014

I'll go ahead and agree with the others here. I don't really have a lot to say here anymore, but banning subjects in discussions is as non-open as it gets. Why exactly religion? What if I, as a norwegian, get offended if anyone discusses vikings? Should we ban viking discussion? Or what about discussing historical events where religion was a major factor, would that be okay? To me, that rule seems highly ambiguous, as well as susceptible to becoming a slippery slope.

As for being racist or using homophobic swearwords in a derogatory way, that's already covered by the guidelines:

Quote:Maintain polite conversation (do not badmouth other players or engage in excessive swearing).
Quote:Generally be kind to others.

When it comes to enforcing stricter rules instead of the looser guidelines and the lack of discussion beforehand, I'll just go ahead and agree with the others.

RE: New Rules I am going to follow and expect others to aswell - xdot - 10-28-2014

(10-28-2014, 05:34 PM)Guy1234567890 Wrote: ^agreed
^agreed