Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Raspberry Pi - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Raspberry Pi (/thread-4753.html)

Pages: 1 2

Raspberry Pi - greatgamer34 - 09-22-2014

Hey guys,

I want to purchase the new raspberry pi b+ model, but i have no idea what i would use it for.

I found it on newegg for $35usd with free shipping so it wont 'break the bank'.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813142003&cm_re=raspberry_pi_b%2b-_-13-142-003-_-Product

the new b+ model has less power draw, more gpio ports and more usb ports. But i am still not sure what i would want to do with it. maybe build an rc car?

you guys have any ideas?

RE: Raspberry Pi - jxu - 09-22-2014

I'm pretty sure you don't need a raspberry pi to make an RC car.

RE: Raspberry Pi - greatgamer34 - 09-22-2014

It was just a suggestion of something to do with it. But i need some ideas!

Ben Heck made a cell phone.

RE: Raspberry Pi - Apuly - 09-22-2014

Some mobile providers over here in the Netherlands have an offer that enables people with the same provider to send messages to each other for free.

I was planning on abusing this using a pi-phone to make for free messaging people using something like Skype.

Maybe that's an idea for you (if you have the free texting thing).

RE: Raspberry Pi - Tjakka5 - 09-22-2014

Build a NAS! Big Grin

But if you want to do stuff like build mechanical arms and RC cars, I think a Arduino would be better for that.

RE: Raspberry Pi - Tommyand - 09-25-2014

(09-22-2014, 08:41 AM)Tjakka5 Wrote: Build a NAS! Big Grin

But if you want to do stuff like build mechanical arms and RC cars, I think a Arduino would be better for that.

You would probably be right. But did you ever wonder why there's an Arduino that also runs Linux? Tongue

On to ideas:
It is possible to setup a Minecraft server on a RasPi using Spigot, the awesomesause server that runs better than the regular minecraft server, or perhaps a server written in C++.

You could host a web server.

You could build a device that will play games for every console that can be emulated!

You could turn it into a Wi-Fi router.

You could do something awesome that nobody has thought of before!

That said, Good Luck!

RE: Raspberry Pi - Apuly - 09-25-2014

If you are able to properly run a minecraft server or a fokn console emulator, then you're obviously some sort of wizard.

RE: Raspberry Pi - PhysoniumI - 09-25-2014

WiFi router: No, due to how the internals work it's not possible to have a decently fast wifi router via a RPI.

RPIs are a bit lacking in CPU power while idling, I don't think you can run a MC server off it unless you're a magician (that WAS with GUI, not a nogui environment).

A NAS isn't possible due to lack of USB ports unless it's a pretty shitty nas Tongue It'd also be pretty slow, as you're limited to USB HDDs unless you set up a GPIO magic thing that can handle SATA or the like.

Good use? Remote programmable thermostat that's dynamic based on temperatures (say it's cool outside, it may not be so agressive about cooling, etc). All you need is a temp sensor or two, which are DIRT cheap and if you want you can install a touch display on a wall!

You can also make a pretty pimpin' 3d printer with one, if you know what to do (or a drawer of some sort, that'd be cool too (maybe typed -> written converter? :3)

Arduinos are far superior for RC things as they're smaller and lighter. RPIs require a battery along with the physical RPI which is already kinda chunky (compared to an Arduino).

RE: Raspberry Pi - jxu - 09-26-2014

I can't imagine how you would "make" a 3d printer. They are extraordinarily complicated and expensive.

RE: Raspberry Pi - PhysoniumI - 09-26-2014

Step motors. Lots of step motors. A little bit of magic, some alignment and control over an output of some sort (which you could buy relatively cheaply) and boom.

Yeah pretty certain you could make one if you know what you're doing.