Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Redstone Programming Language - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: Completed Projects (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-21.html)
+---- Thread: Redstone Programming Language (/thread-4681.html)

Pages: 1 2

Redstone Programming Language - tossha - 09-07-2014

Hello redstoners. I've already posted on Minecraft Forums, but i think it's a good idea to make a thread here as well, hopefully you guys will be interested.

Redstone Programming Language is my attempt to simplify your workflow with command blocks. They are very powerful now in 1.8 but it's just too hard to use them efficiently. RPL is a way to generate any amount of command blocks based on code in a text file. You write your code in a file, go to MCEdit, use RPL filter and it will build all the command blocks. That way you always have a code of your project, you can easily edit it and more importantly it's intended to have a short and intuitive syntax. You will write about 2-5 times less code than you would do working with command blocks ingame. And you will write this code faster because you're working with it in a text file where you don't have to fly around and right-click every command block.

I also include a simple "parser". Another filter for MCEdit that will scan all the command blocks in the selection and write a list of all the commands to a text file. I didn't put much effort in it, so it doen't convert your commands to RPL syntax. If you know Python and want to help with it - it will be very much appreciated.

I have two videos on RPL now, vesion 1.0 overview and a demonstration of 1.1 features

Here's RPL website: http://tossha.com/rpl/

Let me know what you guys think.

RE: Redstone Programming Language - Chibill - 09-07-2014

We don't like command blocks here. Because that take away from actually knowing how to build a Redstone computer and programing it.....

RE: Redstone Programming Language - newomaster - 09-08-2014

(09-07-2014, 03:14 PM)Chibill Wrote: We don't like command blocks here. Because that take away from actually knowing how to build a Redstone computer and programing it.....

There's nothing wrong with command blocks when they are used for something like this. Command blocks, essentially, are an (awkward) ingame programming language already. This is an example of a case where command blocks should be used.

The reason why most people on ORE don't like command blocks is they allow people to make CPUs with redstone without learning how the hardware works. They also allow for people to make replicas (in terms of function) to the CPUs we make with redstone with little effort, and they are faster than anything we could hope to design with normal redstone, even with hundreds of hours spent into designing components. The reason this is different is because actual redstone can (probably) never hope to be made into something as complex as a full programming language. Nice work tossha Big Grin

RE: Redstone Programming Language - tossha - 09-08-2014

(09-07-2014, 03:14 PM)Chibill Wrote: We don't like command blocks here. Because that take away from actually knowing how to build a Redstone computer and programing it.....
Yeah, i know. I have a russian YT channel where i build a whole computer step by step using just 1.4 features. I started it back in 1.2 and didn't want to update to 1.5 redstone and especially to com.blocks because it would just kill the point of it. And with this project i sort of go into other extreme and try to push the boundaries of possibilities with every tool we have in vanilla.

RE: Redstone Programming Language - Iceglade - 09-08-2014

(09-08-2014, 05:10 AM)newomaster Wrote:

There's nothing wrong with command blocks when they are used for something like this. Command blocks, essentially, are an (awkward) ingame programming language already. This is an example of a case where command blocks should be used.

The reason why most people on ORE don't like command blocks is they allow people to make CPUs with redstone without learning how the hardware works. They also allow for people to make replicas (in terms of function) to the CPUs we make with redstone with little effort, and they are faster than anything we could hope to design with normal redstone, even with hundreds of hours spent into designing components. The reason this is different is because actual redstone can (probably) never hope to be made into something as complex as a full programming language. Nice work tossha Big Grin

Amen.

It's also because command blocks get more attention than we do... jealousy --> elitism

RE: Redstone Programming Language - greatgamer34 - 09-09-2014

I dont like command blocks because people still call using them 'redstone'. there is a reason they are not in a game inventory.

RE: Redstone Programming Language - Neogreenyew - 09-10-2014

command blocks should be used to replace large bussing in order to speed up CPUs without actually replacing any logic.

RE: Redstone Programming Language - greatgamer34 - 09-10-2014

(09-10-2014, 12:23 AM)Neogreenyew Wrote: command blocks should be used to replace large bussing in order to speed up CPUs without actually replacing any logic.

i can agree with this.

the only other fair advantage of cmd blocks is being able to make a colored screen.

RE: Redstone Programming Language - Crazyninja2000 - 09-12-2014

command blocks are used for map making. they could be useful for long distance serial, but it is hard to make pulses for serial, and they take out the point of redstone. you could easily do /setblock redstone_block to a place to make a signal, but what is the fun in that. we don't really need a full programming language, that will require a massive computer(possibly 64 bit) and would lag out the server. i do think in the future we will see very simple RPLs, but not with command blocks.

RE: Redstone Programming Language - Legofreak - 09-13-2014

The most I ever did with command blocks was player detection to open doors and some messing around with the scoreboard.