Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
ORE GOVERNMENT - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: ORE GOVERNMENT (/thread-4282.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: ORE GOVERNMENT - PhysoniumI - 08-07-2014

Therefore your comment has been invalidated. Did they use worldedit or no? (further invalidation woo)

RE: ORE GOVERNMENT - PNWMan - 08-07-2014

(08-06-2014, 11:13 PM)PhysoniumI Wrote: Proposition 7
Teaching multiple people at once is not at all possible. A. Everyone wants to learn different things. B. Everyone knows different things. C. People understand different things faster than others.

Teaching something technical like redstone without any pre-written materials is completely different from teaching in a classroom. You have to rely mainly off the student's intelligence to figure out what's happening. Some people can do that, while others can't. This proves to be problematic as everyone's in different spots, having to answer even more questions (even with a WPM around 80 that proves to be difficult with 1-2 people) would prove near-impossible and over all detrimental to the understanding of the students.

This is quite untrue. I've had audiences of 4 or 5 people at once, and everything went very well.

A. Yes, everyone does want to learn different things, but the order in which you learn them stays the same for every student. If they want to learn something unique, they can have a more private lesson or join in on another mass lesson
B. Students will not be forced to join mass lessons. It would be absolutely unreasonable to force someone who hardly knows binary into an ALU lesson. They can choose to join whichever lesson they want, and multiple lessons covering multiple topics of multiple skill levels will be taught. The fact that everyone knows different things does not mean mass lessons fail. Think of it like real life school: Everyone knows different things, but there are different grades to compensate for that. Grades would be like a large lesson.
C. By creating a good curriculum, you can create material in a progressive and orderly way such that it is a good speed for everyone. If someone is struggling, they can ask for help after the lesson.

And relying on student's intelligence to know what's going on? How does that make mass lessons unsuccessful? That's just a measure of how well students are getting the material. It is no different than a lesson involving 1 or 2 students. Besides, some people do have prewritten materials to aid in their teaching; others who are good at memorizing can teach without them.

Qualified teachers are absolutely essential to this system. Practice and a greater population of teachers is also needed. And how do we get more teachers? Increase the popularity (after everything is sorted out, of course). How do teachers become qualified? By being taught in a good manner by others. While an audience of 1 or 2 people is more personalized, it just doesn't work out at all. There are just too many people to teach and not enough time/willpower to do it. Mass lessons, while slightly less individualized, make teaching more worthwhile and interesting for everyone, thus increasing how enjoyable teaching is and the amount of overall students learning.

It is very possible, even better, to teach a large audience. To reduce questions, teachers need to develop a good curriculum and learn from previous shortcomings/mistakes. This is not too hard to do, and teaching will become fun when you feel like you are helping lots of people. And to keep everything under control, a better environment (more orderly, friendly, and effective) and slightly stricter enforcement of things like spam and roughhousing will mitigate wild behavior.

RE: ORE GOVERNMENT - Nickster258 - 08-07-2014

Another ORE admin election and revamping of all the admins is definitely required.

(08-06-2014, 09:05 PM)RekcirBrickeR Wrote: Well how do we get more staff? Can I be staff? I'm like the oldest person on this server(26). I wouldn't mind putting people in their place.

It isn't so much how old an individual is as pure age has no relation to ones maturity. People who are more familiar with the system and the players may have a better time. If that is the case, I am running on two years membership.

RE: ORE GOVERNMENT - JWNJWN - 08-07-2014

I hope you realize if you merge the server and have separate worlds, the students will still do just what they do now, and bother builders, it'll just be easier for them, Prime example is rep-restofnamehere, who's constantly on build. Also most of the issues wouldn't be issues if there wasn't the weird staff situation where only like 2 or 3 actually ever do anything (That's stretching it a bit). Personally, I believe you need to talk to the inactive staff and see if they can increase their activity and actually do stuff that staff should do. (Bringing mods in could also help with this with apps and such meaning staff have to do less but that's a different discussion that has already been had)

RE: ORE GOVERNMENT - jxu - 08-07-2014

My comments

#1. I have seen this on some other servers. However I don't know how much server lag will actually come from this, because many more chunks will be loaded with build and school plots. Expect a fair bit

#2. Combined chat is not necessary, just mv to the world. Lessons could be able to fit within school chat.

#3. Yes

#4. This is not easy to achieve. Prop's and newo's videos cover lots of material already though. The only issue would be the quality of effectiveness of these videos

#5. Not sure if necessary

#6. I don't think plot resetting is any problem. In terms of griefing, if someone can grief a small area, they can grief a big area too. I thought our plot system was specifically designed to be extensible so large amounts of new plots could be added. Except for special cases, no one should be allowed to remove something someone else has built.

#7. Definitely need to test it out. Effectiveness is unknown

#8. If this is an issue is debatable

#9. Yes

#10. Yes

#11. Yes

#12. Yes

#13. A staff member really should be present for trials. More staff needs to be online though

Overall good suggestions. They seem more like improvements than fixes though

RE: ORE GOVERNMENT - AFtExploision - 08-07-2014

Phy, go to the programming section of the forums. There is a link to the github for OREUtilsV2.

RE: ORE GOVERNMENT - Xray_Doc - 08-07-2014

(08-07-2014, 12:23 AM)PhysoniumI Wrote: Therefore your comment has been invalidated. Did they use worldedit or no? (further invalidation woo)

Oh no I used giant we's all the time

RE: ORE GOVERNMENT - Apuly - 08-07-2014

3: The reason that [Foreman] was removed was because foreman were doing stuff that they were not supposed to do (chuck was maintaining the server). It's hard to prevent that from happening again, and I think the best thing is to just keep it the way it is, but get some more active staff members.
6: I don't really like the idea of the 6 month offline plot reset. Some of the better redstoners have had periods where they weren't online for about 6 months (take proper). I think a better way of looking if a plot is reset is how much time they have spend in the community, and then look at how long they've been offline. A bit more manual process, but I think it'll work better than just the 6 month offline period
7: There's nothing stopping anyone from teaching 5 people at once, as long as you're willing to do so. The teachers are free to teach any number of people at once.
10: I like the [Member] rank. Makes it feel like I'm actually a part of something, instead of one of the people in a cluster of redstoners.
12: I feel like the plot protection should be kept in place. We already have cases where builders are worldediting other peoples plots. If we were to give them build rights on student plots, I feel like it would get worse than it already is.

RE: ORE GOVERNMENT - JWNJWN - 08-07-2014

Pauly, builders don't even need build permission to WE school plots, right now that can do that as they wish. Also, it isn't difficult to keep mods from not doing what they should by just not giving them the access to the commands or not selecting certain ones out and giving them ssh access for example. If they do try do more than what their rank is meant to the admins can decide on how severe it was and if they should be demoted. It isn't that difficult.

RE: ORE GOVERNMENT - PNWMan - 08-07-2014

The way I see it, with changes influencing one another:

JWN: A larger school community + quality large lessons = busier and short-lived (transitioning to [Builder]. Increase ACTIVE staff population, and add [Foreman].

Random Symbols Name:
1. Still combine them with physical worlds, but possibly have a more powerful host. If servers can be filled up with thousands of noobs doing nooby things, we (possibly not with the current host, but a new one) could easily handle 1-2 hundred on at a time. And to help with the World Edit situation, possibly have a program thatonly allows one large World Edit at a time (large being a set amount of changed blocks, say 100,000). This restriction would not get in the way of people; it would actually be less in the way than crashing the server. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just entirely drop excessively large World Edits (5,000,000 blocks, maybe).

2. Due to some ranting about how terrible Multiverse and how much lag it causes *couphyscough*, MV is not a good option. We must combine the worlds together physically, in some way, either interlaced plots or a separate school area. The decision between these comes down to the poll on the Merging Build and School thread; not enough people have voted in order for me to say (go vote for which plot system you like!). As far as chat goes, it really depends on how many people are at school for the Lessons chat rooms. Those would be hard to code, and could confuse people. However, popularizing the server adds more people, and chat might get spammy (lessons tend to have a high use of chat).

4. Honestly, i was thinking a database of non-video material, with maybe an optional video if available. Text/pictures are much much easier to edit and improve than a video. I might as well start a few tutorials in there at some time (once you get going it should be fine).

5. Visitors are always asking what to do, and it annoys people to the grave. If they had a book with them that says what to do, the amount of annoying visitors would decrease.

6. (With paul's idea)(Changed the change) Ok, we have a implement the program that shows the total amount of time online, and if, say, after 6 months AND under x hours (10 might be good) of total playing time, their plot is reset. Extending will be needed, but we can't just extend into infinity and have tons of old, empty but claimed plots laying around. Now, the total amount of time online database may have been deleted, so time offline may have to be looked up and calculated, and as far as total time online, a plot "judge" might be used.

7. Right now, teaching consists mostly of small lessons, and I can tell you with confidence that the amount of teaching has decreased significantly. It's just too hard to teach one or two students at a time, and it makes teaching not feel worthwhile. Mass lessons are required in order for teaching to contine, and it will also bring about more enjoyability in teaching and learning.

13. I do agree that we need more staff, and I do see a pitfall where, for example, a student does his trial with no one present, needs World Edit help, doesn't get it so they have to do it manualy. Then, he can't complete it and he fails, when if he would have had that help, he would have passed. So possibly, have them only be able to start/continue while a staff/foreman (and possibly builder, since they can World Edit too) is online. Also, this process just streamlines the current process so staff doesn't have to do as much, they only have to be present and judge/question at the end. So I will add only being able to start/contine while staff/foreman is online to the change.

Paul:
3. Foremen have limited privileges, yet not so limited they can't do their job. Only promote qualified people.
6. (Answered above)
7. We NEED mass lessons in order for teaching to continue. Not saying every lesson has to be large, but we do need a good amount of them.
10. The name of your rank does not define who you are, but rather, your personality and ingenuity define you. I think we can all attest to knowing some members who stand out more than others, even if they both have the same activity.
12. If builders are World Editing on other people's plots (and actually griefing, not just something harmless then /undo), then those people need to be punished. A larger staff force and slightly stricter enforcement of the rules will mitigate this issue drastically.