Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
(POLL) Merging School with Build - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: (POLL) Merging School with Build (/thread-4043.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Merging School with Build - redstonewarrior - 07-30-2014

(07-30-2014, 01:13 AM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote: Please don't consider me a Stewart Mill Tongue
Democracy is focused on what the majority of people are concerned about - though in this case I don't think there's an important difference between most people happy and most happiness (to quiet those annoying people)
I don't advocate in any way utilitarianism

Depending on the election system, democracy might only satisfy the largest group...
I might want to stop getting off topic.

RE: Merging School with Build - Apuly - 07-30-2014

I feel like, if the main reason why we are merging school and build is to merge the chat, than a more advanced IRC chat link would be the best solution. It would be easier and quicker to implement new servers, and (I think) is easier to make, since most script kitties on this server have their own chatbot.

RE: Merging School with Build - jxu - 07-31-2014

(07-24-2014, 11:51 PM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote:
(07-24-2014, 02:10 AM)Crazyninja2000 Wrote: The whole point of the merge is too link chat. channeling chat would just bring to the problem of all the students going to the build channel asking for help, back to where we started.

I don't think the chat was the main point. The point is that builders/teachers don't have to switch servers to help people. With OREbuild and OREschool on IRC the chats are already linked.

RE: Merging School with Build - JWNJWN - 07-31-2014

In my opinion, if the servers were to get merged it would be to tighten the community not just so that chatting between them would be easier. Merging the servers would be used as a tool to not have 2 separate communities, Build and School, but to have one unified community where the players helped each other, instead of doing whatever we do now.

RE: Merging School with Build - Crazyninja2000 - 07-31-2014

(07-25-2014, 02:28 PM)greatgamer34 Wrote: I think this would be the easiest way to do something like this.
Just load it up in an MV world called "School", and have build in an MV world called "Build".

Simple enough.

that was my idea. it would let the builders build, but let the students get their help easily. it would still tighten the community, but give the builders some space from spammy students.

RE: (POLL) Merging School with Build - Jupperware - 08-02-2014

As a Student I do not particularly want the two to merge. I haven't been around very long, but I think having separate spaces is important. If I ever become a Builder I will want to be able to escape to a quiet world without jerk offs and annoying visitors asking when their app will be done.

It would definitely be easier to manage one unified server, and the Students would have more access to Teachers, Builders, and Staff. That being said, it seems to me that most Builders have projects going on in the School server. I suspect that they don't go to the Build server because they have nothing to do in the School, but because they do not want to be accessed by the Students.

I agree with PNW that lessons would be more advantageous for the Students and easier for the Teachers if mass lessons were held. But this can be done in the School server with or without a merge.

Some Students that are a little immature or annoying can become more serious and dedicated over time. But merging would mean kicking them out at the beginning and not giving them the opportunity to learn, and possibly robbing the build server of a potentially good candidate.

Just some thoughts.

RE: (POLL) Merging School with Build - Neogreenyew - 08-02-2014

Just keep it how it was before build died unless physical overhead for the servers is costing too much then merge them on one server or something.

RE: (POLL) Merging School with Build - PNWMan - 08-03-2014

(08-02-2014, 03:13 AM)Jupperware Wrote: Some Students that are a little immature or annoying can become more serious and dedicated over time. But merging would mean kicking them out at the beginning and not giving them the opportunity to learn, and possibly robbing the build server of a potentially good candidate.

You've put into words what has been in my head. I do feel that this issue could be diminished with an intermediate chat realm that visitors are unable to access.

I should explain my concept of an intermediate chat:
It has 3 levels: Build, School, and Combined. Visitors and students (no matter whether on build or school) can ONLY join combined chat and school chat. Anyone else (including the short-lived Testificates) can join any chat they wish.