Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
I need a mechanical keyboard... - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General computing and engineering (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-66.html)
+--- Thread: I need a mechanical keyboard... (/thread-4004.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

I need a mechanical keyboard... - Nickster258 - 07-09-2014

Needs:
  • Mechanical
  • No drivers (easy to setup / PnP)
  • Decent price ( $120 or less)
  • Sturdy. CAN'T be flimsy.
  • Needs to look robust and 'professional' ( At work there are only old dell membrane keyboards and I would like to bring my own.)
  • It has to be backlit, however either white or blue backlight. (To fit the 'professional' terms)

Anything that you guys can suggest?

I am familiar with the corsair, logitech, and razor ones but I like none of those.

What do you suggest?

RE: I need a mechanical keyboard... - Cutlassw30 - 07-09-2014

I really dislike cherry mx series of switches, they are really prone to failure. I personally use a IBM model M keyboard made by unicomp and it uses a buckling spring switch, and its much more robust.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD

It is not back lit but really I think you could live with out that because buckling spring is much much better than any cherry mx blue/green switch in terms of reliablity and typing pleasure.

RE: I need a mechanical keyboard... - greatgamer34 - 07-09-2014

I love the Corsair K70 with the MX Blues, I will be getting one shortly Big Grin
*Edit*
Cooler master makes a great keyboard (i forgot the name though and am to lazy to search for it).

RE: I need a mechanical keyboard... - jxu - 07-09-2014

How about this one?

[Image: cbm_c64_1.png]

RE: I need a mechanical keyboard... - NL59DevilEvil - 07-09-2014

(07-09-2014, 05:21 AM)͝ ͟ ͜ Wrote: How about this one?

[Image: cbm_c64_1.png]

Thats only for swag users.

RE: I need a mechanical keyboard... - Cutlassw30 - 07-09-2014

(07-09-2014, 04:34 AM)greatgamer34 Wrote: I love the Corsair K70 with the MX Blues, I will be getting one shortly Big Grin
*Edit*
Cooler master makes a great keyboard (i forgot the name though and am to lazy to search for it).

Cherry switches are for noobs.

Topre and buckling spring all the way

RE: I need a mechanical keyboard... - greatgamer34 - 07-09-2014

(07-09-2014, 11:49 AM)Cutlassw30 Wrote:
(07-09-2014, 04:34 AM)greatgamer34 Wrote: I love the Corsair K70 with the MX Blues, I will be getting one shortly Big Grin
*Edit*

Cherry switches are for noobs.

Topre and buckling spring all the way

im not quite sure what Topre and buckling springs are.
care to explain why theyre better?

RE: I need a mechanical keyboard... - tyler569 - 07-09-2014

Thought Nick, if you want this for work you probably don't want a mechanical keyboard.

1. Mechanicals are loud

2. Most mechanical keyboards are designed for better having performance, which makes them worse to type on. This is not a huge problem with all switches, but for example MX Reds are supposed to be great for FPSs and terrible for typing on.

Keep these things in mind.

RE: I need a mechanical keyboard... - jxu - 07-09-2014

Nickster, professionals don't use mechanical keyboards Tongue

Look in the office of any Fortune 100 company - everyone uses standard dell keyboards that can be replaced easily. This includes IT, programmers, writers, management, etc.

Plus, as tyler said, mechanical keyboards are very loud and unless you work separately from your coworkers it will annoy the hell out of them.

Only gamers use mechanical keyboards. Wink

RE: I need a mechanical keyboard... - Nickster258 - 07-10-2014

My point with the professionalism was not to be like a professional, but to have the aesthetics as one. I don't want a flashy keyboard with many lights and showy features, but a basic one. I am familiar with the standard work keyboard and yes, I hate them so much.

The main reason for the professionalism: I like mechanical switches and the feel of them, hence the reason I wanted a modest one.

Also, about the loudness factor: I know it is loud, but I have my own office. Literally my own room (cause my work is awesome).

Also... I have bought a keyboard...