Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Operating System Discussion - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General computing and engineering (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-66.html)
+--- Thread: Operating System Discussion (/thread-3210.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Operating System Discussion - AFtExploision - 04-21-2014

What OS' do you use? What do you think is the best? As of now, I am running Ubuntu with i3wm as my main, with Windows 7 on dual boot to use windows programs. I like Linux, and I already am ready to install Arch Linux to my computer, but, what OS' do you all think is best? Linux? BSD? Windows?! (Lol).

(I haven't installed Arch yet because I have to wait to get an ethernet port where my case is, because the Wifi card I have is derpy and there is literally no firmware that can make it compatible with Arch. Not even going to try, wasted a lot of time on it. At least this gives me a reason to get a wired connection, so faster speeds :D)

RE: Operating System Discussion - JeremyG - 04-21-2014

There is no best.

RE: Operating System Discussion - AFtExploision - 04-21-2014

Which one do you prefer, though?

RE: Operating System Discussion - greatgamer34 - 04-21-2014

Windows. I know how to navigate it!

RE: Operating System Discussion - seankingman - 04-21-2014

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

RE: Operating System Discussion - EDevil - 04-21-2014

Im running (just 24 hours now) a dual boot of Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04. I kept holding back with Ubuntu since it didn't have auto trim support for ssd's (which is something you want with your new evo 120gb). Now though, since the release of 14.04 its enabled by default. So for those who are interested in running Ubuntu with a ssd, i would highly recommend taking a look at 14.04.

(Yes, i know you can manually do some fancy tricks in 'untu, but i just like having this type of stuff enabled by default rather than me messing with cronjobs.)

RE: Operating System Discussion - Neogreenyew - 04-21-2014

For the time being, Windows is a better operating system for running networks due to its compatibility with nearly every program and its ease of use. You can NOT argue against the fact that it is the best OS to deploy in a business for its end-users.

RE: Operating System Discussion - AFtExploision - 04-21-2014

(04-21-2014, 06:54 PM)Neogreenyew Wrote: For the time being, Windows is a better operating system for running networks due to its compatibility with nearly every program and its ease of use. You can NOT argue against the fact that it is the best OS to deploy in a business for its end-users.

My opinion too... while imo something like Linux / BSD is technically the better OS, Windows is by far the best for the average user. It has the highest amount of programs for it, and is generally easy to use and familiar with people. Microsoft server OS' continue with the compatibility of the desktop versions, but I think that Linux is the better server OS because it needs little restarts, and just runs (once set up).

RE: Operating System Discussion - EDevil - 04-21-2014

No further explanation needed here. Completely agree with the last 2 posts. Especially with the use of domains and policy's! Deploying a windows platform in a company has never been easier before, and its also very easily to expand once you have the need for it.

RE: Operating System Discussion - Chibill - 04-21-2014

I use windows 7 for my main OS as I don't want to really dual boot my pc (had trouble with that on my backtrack box.).

But my server runs Proxmox. Which lets me run an OS I want and I connect to it from my windows throught Chrome.

So yeah I got many OSes I got. Windows xp box and a deabian box and then I also have a MineOS box from my minecraft servers and that all running on my Proxmox