Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
High walls! The discussion - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: High walls! The discussion (/thread-3113.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

High walls! The discussion - EDevil - 04-13-2014

Yesh indeeeed. What do you guys think about high walls? Should we allow them and leave it up to the individual, or make a rule against them?

Let me just explain why i want to bring this discussion up. I logged in today, and say this beauty;
[Image: JjqmOfb.png]
Trust me, it goes all the way up and around the corner Tongue

This beautiful wall has been made by our member Benrum97. When i asked if he really needed that wall, he told me that it was good for planning. wFortin told me that it was a good way to prevent burglars.

Planning, good point! Given by the fact that a high wall like this will be around 200 blocks, we can do the math by ourself! 200*256*2 (200 blocks tall * lenth of the wall * 2, he had 2 walls (perhaps 4)). That gives us a total of 102400 blocks to plan stuff! The only problem then is that when i see his plot, i can only see a CPU diagram (quite fancy one though, nothing to complain about that) of 40x40 blocks. If multiply that, we get a total of 1600 blocks being used for the whole wall. I couldn't find anything else on the wall, so i presume that this is it. Converting those numbers into percentages, we end up with 1,5625% of the wall being used atm. Get my point here? Tongue

Walls are unnecessary. Their big, ugly, and just plain annoying. And if you want to plan stuff, why not just build in on the floor? Feel free to discuss down below, i would love to see your thoughts about this topic Angel

(On a side note, i'm not blaming Benrum97 here of any stuff he did. I was on his plot and decided to use his wall as example for this post. There are many more players on our server who also made walls on their plot.)

RE: High walls! The discussion - AFtExploision - 04-13-2014

Keep the walls!

RE: High walls! The discussion - EDevil - 04-13-2014

(04-13-2014, 11:12 PM)AFtExploision Wrote: Keep the walls!

Mind elaborating your opinion a bit more Afty?

RE: High walls! The discussion - AFtExploision - 04-13-2014

Well, I want prop to keep his signature wall D:

RE: High walls! The discussion - Chibill - 04-14-2014

I like walls when recording or I set my view dis to tiny.

RE: High walls! The discussion - redstonewarrior - 04-14-2014

We actually had (have?) a rule against high walls, but apparently staff's cycled since early ORE. Of course, this is up for change :3
I vote no high walls! Billboards are fine, but walls isolate and make the map crappy. People even get creative about their plot boundaries when they don't have walls.
(Also, we decided that walls under, about, 12 high were fine.)

(04-13-2014, 11:47 PM)AFtExploision Wrote: Well, I want prop to keep his signature wall D:

Right, we made an exception there. Proper copied that over before he was aware of the rule, and we kept it as a "shush" exception.

RE: High walls! The discussion - newomaster - 04-14-2014

Well one of the main reasons we decided against high walls was it made it difficult to traverse the server via /fast (trust me, this is a valid concern). Hence we made the rule that walls could be up to 12 high (since /fast still allows you just to jump over them). The other reason being they can be annoying to look at on neighboring plots.

Personally, I don't think we (staff) should be able to restrict what a member decides to build on his/her own plot (as long as it is not detrimental to the server server in any way). A plot is your plot, and you can build whatever you want on it. Walls are useful for planning and some people like them for seclusion from other players. Many people also have walls which people can sign their names/leave messages on, which is an aspect of this community I've always loved (best example of this is proper's wall back on the rdf/now).

I suppose a compromise would be to make your wall have an open bottom to allows players through in /fast, or make it not take up the entire length of your plot, put holes in it, etc. Also, ask your plot neighbors if it's alright with them. Just generally don't make walls that will piss people off.

RE: High walls! The discussion - Xray_Doc - 04-14-2014

High walls never bothered me, that's pretty much it for where stand.

[Image: il_340x270.554147389_nqrz.jpg]

RE: High walls! The discussion - Nickster258 - 04-14-2014

I do not like walls. It is confining and obtrusive. Sometimes I want to see my neighbors, other times I do not. But, as like many other members have said, traversing the area is tenfold more difficult with walls.

RE: High walls! The discussion - greatgamer34 - 04-14-2014

I guess short walls or walls with gaps in them for easy maneuvering should be fine. But not like Benrums wall...