Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! (/thread-296.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - CMOSprinkles - 06-01-2013

Hello everyone! I'm really hoping that people are more interested in this here then at the other forums. I'm building a redstone computer! What will this computer do? Whatever you can program it to do! That's right, a programmable redstone computer that you can write your own programs for. The PC uses a vertical shift register I designed that can easily perform conditional and unconditional branches when you want with a minor modification. I won't release the computer itself until I have written the first program for it to properly display it's functionality. Once the first program is finished (I'm thinking about working on a 'Cherry Drop' game or Pong) and the computer is available, I'll give you a list of the OPcodes used as instruction lines for the Programs and you can even write your own programs! The computer runs at a speed of approximately 0.67 hertz, or 40 instructions per minute, or 12 tick clock cycles. The components that I have built so far are the CPU, the program memory, and the PC. The Program Counter is actually going through some final design stages that I have to prepare a program for, so rather than writing a basic program in the meantime, I'll just wait until the first game for the computer is written and test it with that. My main concern at the moment is the GPU, which I will most likely be building myself, as I have not seen any designs yet that I like. So, the GPU could take some time, but you can expect the full release of the computer and the first game to be programmed within a month, so look forward to it! CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Interactive Vanilla Redstone Computer, COMING SOON!

RE: CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - newomaster - 06-02-2013

Ooh sounds like it's going to be awesome Big Grin Ive actually never seen anyone run software pong. I'm excited to see if you pull it off.

RE: CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - CMOSprinkles - 06-04-2013

Alright, progress has been slow because my laptop is a piece of junk. I'm still working with the GPU, and the algorithms for the Pong game are really complex, so it will take some time to implement. I'll try to keep you guys updated, still hoping for the initial release in one month!

RE: CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - CMOSprinkles - 06-07-2013

Just a little update, the screen for the computer is finished! However, it isn't exactly a GPU, as it can't draw or save complex images. The only way that I can imagine implementing a GPU to draw entire images would be to write to the screen one line of pixels at a time, which would be horrendously slow at this computer's clock speed. Perhaps someday I will design a computer fast enough to update entire images on screen for sprite based games, but for now nobody wants to wait 10 seconds to see their character move. So this screen will only be able to run extremely simple games that only utilize one row of pixels at a time. However, I am also building in a 'controller input' to the screen that will utilize a shift register to display the player's "character" in the game as well as an AND gate hit detection circuit that will affect the branching conditions in the program to allow the player to interact with the game. The first game I will be working on will be 'Cherry Drop', where the goal is to catch the falling 'cherry'. If you catch it, the program will loop and drop another one; if you don't catch it, the program will end. Extremely simple stuff here, but it takes a lot of complex circuitry. But don't worry, I'll eventually work my way up to more complex games and programs!

RE: CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - CMOSprinkles - 06-08-2013

Just a small update here; No one saw the PC I was working on, and let's just say that's a good thing. I misunderstood the concept in a way that lead me to design a very inconvenient branching system, so I am likely going to end up using someone else's design for the PC as well, unless I can design a smaller binary counter.

P.S. Don't tell anyone, but after this super compact computer is finished, I'm going to design... *dun dun dun* *pause for suspense*... The 1 Hertz Computer!! It's basically going to be a modified version of this that is a bit larger, but will run on 8 tic clock cycles, so it will be capable of doing not only more than this, but much faster! Spoilers ;D

RE: CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - CMOSprinkles - 06-28-2013

Hello again, just wanted to say that with the one month deadline looming, it doesn't look like this computer is going to be finished in time. However, I have completely dedicated myself to building it to run on 10 tick or less cycles, or 1 Hertz. It's going to utilize a 3-4 tick instant carry adder that I am designing right now, I'll put the adder up on my plot when it is finished for anyone that is interested!

RE: CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - Chibill - 06-29-2013

I may be itersated in la adder. For what I am working on next.

RE: CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - CMOSprinkles - 07-01-2013

Well apparently someone beat me to it about a year ago. I just recently found a download for a 3 tick insta-carry adder created by some user called 'Whiteley'. I took a look at it and it blew me out of the water, it has some pretty advanced piston logic. I noticed there might be a BUD affecting the pistons at the very bottom, since this was made about a year ago, but I didn't do extensive testing and it could probably be fixed pretty easy if it was even causing an issue. Here's a link to the MCEdit schematic I found, couldn't find anything else; http://www.mediafire.com/?cswsgq57s7e13v0

RE: CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - EDevil - 07-01-2013

Thats a very interesting design! However, its kinda big. Especially compared to this design, from Matt Youtube!, which is basically the same, but way smaller. And if you're really looking for speed, and your inputs are in sync, i have a 2-tick adder for you, but its bigger than the design mentioned above. Ow, and btw, i really like is how you keep this topic up to date! Good work! Big Grin

RE: CMOSprinkle's Super Compact Redstone Computer! - CMOSprinkles - 07-02-2013

Yeah, I did notice that Whiteley's adder is pretty huge, 15 blocks tall is a bit ridiculous. I don't think a 2 tick instant-carry adder is possible because it would have to generate the carry in 1 tick, but if it is possible I would love to see your design! I'm actually continuing work on mine, I think it's finished. It uses a 2 tick half adder I designed myself that supports instant-carry and a 1 tick XOR designed by Properinglish19, I'll try to put it up on my plot later today. It's only 7 blocks tall, but it's about 26 blocks long, so it's still pretty big. However, generating any 8 bit result in 3 ticks is pretty damn impressive.