Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
A Staff Change for the School Server - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: School Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: A Staff Change for the School Server (/thread-2727.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

A Staff Change for the School Server - Xray_Doc - 03-09-2014

Recently, there have been many people who see the school server as just 'there' and don't bother with it. This can be frustrating for visitors/students who are trying to join or learn, and when no one helps them they leave or result to other methods that leave them at fault. This bring me to a possible suggestion for a staff change on the school server, as it may be able to help run the server much smoother.

Like on the RDF (yeah, I know admins), the school server was run separately by another group from the staff or new admins. However, with the way they chose to run it this made the staff more accessible from the school server to students, and allowed better maintenance of the server itself.

While I am not saying we should completely change the system, I'm suggesting we try this new separate school staff to see if the server becomes more productive.

Many of the admins on ORE focus on primarily the build server, I rarely see any on the school server. In fact, I myself don't go on the server due to the lack of people. I truly believe that trying this could result in new members in the community and a much better school server.

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Iceglade - 03-09-2014

(03-09-2014, 06:44 PM)Xray_Doc Wrote: Recently, there have been many people who see the school server as just 'there' and don't bother with it. This can be frustrating for visitors/students who are trying to join or learn, and when no one helps them they leave or result to other methods that leave them at fault.

Really? I haven't noticed a lack of people who really care about joining and learning redstone not finding or acknowledging the school server. I'll admit that occasionally we get someone who expects us to be an open-plot server and does not come on willing to do applications or get involved in learning redstone. People like that, however, would most likely not benefit from the school server even if they were more exposed to it, because all they want to do is come on and maybe build a door or two and leave. All of the remotely dedicated (promising? not sure what word fits here) visitors have certainly found the school server, which keeps the student body passionate and eager to learn. There are periods where there are 10+ on school, and all students are just about the best we can hope for.

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Xray_Doc - 03-09-2014

Then the times I have been on no one is on. Thanks for giving a different perspective.

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Dcentrics - 03-10-2014

o-o (frustrating decision is frustrating) AHEM alright i really cant say a lot without asking the other staff but i see the points that xray is making. Ice is correct to but not to the same extent. Let me ask the other administrators after I get home tonight.

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Xray_Doc - 03-10-2014

It was just an idea/suggestion. I wouldn't consider it a server chaning decision.

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - newomaster - 03-14-2014

I think the best way to remedy this issue would be to integrate the school server directly into the build server (much like they have it on Stym's), that way the students are immersed into the community of more experienced redstoners, instead of being segregated into their own little room to ponder their existence alone (kinda). The idea would be to have special plots on the build server for the students so they can build with the rest of us (they would have the same permissions as on the school server). Then there would be some extra commands for members to help with teaching/dealing with them (such as possibly a mute command for members to mute them?).

I think students would learn more if they were more inspired by the work around them. The world of the school server is rather bare, and to be honest, not very impressive. I remember the RDF school server had a ton of big imposing redstone projects really close to spawn (that's because redstonewarrior, darkroom, etc had plots next to spawn). And people there generally built more as well. However, on our school server most plots contain a single adder and maybe a 7-seg.

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Xray_Doc - 03-14-2014

Just use the multiverse plugin, that would be an easy way to combine the servers. The plot system could work also but it would require new programming for the special plot size.

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Dcentrics - 03-14-2014

first: Can we use portals to change servers?
second: if we can how?
third: that would be fucking awesome to have them either log into the school directly, or have to go through the build server. (main server)

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - EDevil - 03-14-2014

Multiple world on one server can be easily achieved by using Multiverse. Methods to get to the school server would then by using signs, portals or the command.

RE: A Staff Change for the School Server - Dcentrics - 03-15-2014

Evil, Mort hosts both school and build right? if so why not. it would work perfectly