Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Ohlawd what can I say... - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Ohlawd what can I say... (/thread-2393.html)

Ohlawd what can I say... - Iceglade - 02-11-2014

What can I even say about this anymore? I'm not sure whether anyone else noticed this happen. I'm going to try to not expand this into a novel, although I have a lot to say. This is honestly really sad and I just noticed it today.

Before you read this, I want you to think for just a minute about the ORE community from summer 2013. Think about what the chat contained then. The forums. Okay, now think about the chat and forums today, February 2014.

This has been happening since November... we have completely and utterly changed. We have come from a group of friends and or colleagues helping each other and welcoming new members with open arms into a hive of fame-whores and crazy hipsters. Everything we do is now motivated by bringing us into "the spotlight" in the redstone community. I'm the worst culprit of this; Ice GPU 2.0 was entirely built for youtube... but in reality it's all of us.

Regular now are long-winded forum posts about the unfairness of doing logical redstone and certain issues. The chat is now ridden with "HEY GUYS SUB ME I WANT TO RELEASE SPECIAL" or "OMG I HAVE 147 SUBS OMGOMG". Everything that shows the remotest amount of stupidity or ignorance gets turned into a circlejerk (spammed "GAIS ANTI-BRIT CLUB AMIRITE") I don't blame any of you, in fact I'm the worst of it, but ultimately this isn't what ORE is for ._. If we're to continue growing, we need a friendly community again, not this series of fame-struggles.

Pleasepleaseplease leave your thoughts down below! Say what you're thinking, don't sugarcoat.

RE: Ohlawd what can I say... - Tjakka5 - 02-11-2014

Honeslty...

You have a point, while you don't at the same time.
Lemme explain.

From my perspective, the ORE server is a amazing community that focusus on teaching and creating redstone thingies, which are mainly computer stuff.

Of course it's fine to do this for youtube, as long as you do it for your own fun and not just because you want to be seen as that awesome guy that does youtube videos.

I myself recently started youtube, and still just plop my links to the videos right into chat, but that is because I am proud of what I made and want to share it with the others.

I can't judge if what you say is true or not, I haven't been around for that long; this is just how I see and think about it.

RE: Ohlawd what can I say... - Iceglade - 02-11-2014

(02-11-2014, 06:53 PM)Tjakka5 Wrote: Honeslty...

You have a point, while you don't at the same time.
Lemme explain.

From my perspective, the ORE server is a amazing community that focusus on teaching and creating redstone thingies, which are mainly computer stuff.

Of course it's fine to do this for youtube, as long as you do it for your own fun and not just because you want to be seen as that awesome guy that does youtube videos.

I myself recently started youtube, and still just plop my links to the videos right into chat, but that is because I am proud of what I made and want to share it with the others.

I can't judge if what you say is true or not, I haven't been around for that long; this is just how I see and think about it.

Paragraph 1: Agreed :-) We are amazing at what we do, one way or the other.

Paragraph 2: That is what we aren't, though. We are a redstone server, not a youtuber server ultimately. There's a reason there's no [YouTuber] rank like on redstoner.com

Paragraph 3: That's exactly my point though, we're all too proud. Sharing content is fine, but with some context, not purely to get an extra like on the video.

Paragraph 4: I'm actually saying this purely because I was on ORE before this era. It was an amazing place, and I want it back. What can I say?

RE: Ohlawd what can I say... - Tjakka5 - 02-11-2014

I do agree there, not just posting your links for a extra like.
If people want to do youtube, thats fine.
Do it on the ORE server, fine.
Every now and then plop a link on the chat for the others to see... Fine I guess?
Constantly spamming your video over and over again and tell people to subscribe... I suggest a ban.

There's a difference between showing of what you did, and trying to do something so people say your awesome at doing what you do.

All of the people around here are doing this for fun as far as I know; if the people don't but just do it for youtube sake, then they'll quickly find out that it isn't all that fun and will stop with it.

I don't know how much you enjoyed making the ICE-GPU, so I can't judge over that.
Ultimatly you just need to decide; Why am I doing this and do I like this?

RE: Ohlawd what can I say... - Xray_Doc - 02-11-2014

I'm not very proud of my videos, does that still count?

As for the actual thread, I haven't kept up witj Youtube matters, but it looks like the second coming of SethBlings are upon us.

RE: Ohlawd what can I say... - Iceglade - 02-11-2014

YouTube is half of the problem only... but just posting stuff around for fun is fine! It's when we start getting angsty that we don't have enough subscribers that it becomes a problem.

And that's only half of it, we're generally not NEARLY as open-minded as we used to be :p

RE: Ohlawd what can I say... - redstonewarrior - 02-12-2014

ORE's grown significantly. We've gone from a carrier for the dissipating remnants of the RDF (though with no lack of skill) to one of the largest public redstone servers on the net. Publicity has its downsides, and nothing short of a private server can help. (Survival IS rather nice...)
I don't think multiworld/chat groups could help much either. Relax, and hang out with your friends. Chat's been clearing up (... like a bad case of acne? disturbing analogy.) and there are some neat groups forming.
You should talk with darkroom/greatgamer about hooking up the GPU with their CPU, + some rearrangements. :3

RE: Ohlawd what can I say... - Chibill - 02-12-2014

I have an open mind and an empty stomach.

Good eats!