Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Chest memory - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: Completed Projects (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-21.html)
+---- Thread: Chest memory (/thread-2011.html)

Chest memory - Frontrider - 01-16-2014

I have a compact fast chest memory reader.
[Image: s6eibPI.png]
Uses water bottles as 1 and any other not stacking item as 0.The unit seen on the picture is 2x4x3,+the rails for every bit, this the version with moving minecart.Theres a torch behind the hoppers.
To read ride the cart on it.
To write get the output from the comperator, as a steady input, you can keep that as long as you want,you want it. Everything accesable as long as you don't remove it.
To clear turn the torch off then ride a cart underneath.

RE: Chest memory - Chibill - 01-16-2014

Has one problem you have to have the bottles in order in the chest/hopper minecarts. But that's me.

RE: Chest memory - Frontrider - 01-16-2014

I designed it to be an alternative to piston tapes. I wanted it to be as small as possible. The thing what you mention is not a real problem at all,because you read it in a line anyway.Riding it ower hoppers is the fastest, so why not to use it to shrink it.
Right now im busy with my analog ALU, so i did not tried direct writing, but i know that thats only around 2-3 droppers and storing the inverted version of the number alongside it, in a second chest. Your system has this capability? Directly edit certain parts of the written code itself?
The layout can also be used as an EPROM, put the data in then you can treat it as its written on a torch based ROM. The output is the same.
Even could be attached to existing systems with no altering at all, just connect it to the place where the normal redstone should start, you will have no problem at all.
The information is accesable as soon as the carts are empty, no need for external storages.
The unit also completly tileable in all directions, you will have no problem when you need more, just stack more.
The data will not be destroyed while reading, so its really safe.Put in read it, use it as long as you need, then put it back with no change at all, nothing can go wrong.

RE: Chest memory - Chibill - 01-17-2014

I mean for us yo program it it would be a pain.

RE: Chest memory - Frontrider - 01-17-2014

The writer:
[Image: Z6UJVUh.png]
Put in the data, remove the signal(the lever) then you're good to go.

and a larger one whitch is capable to read and write as well:
[Image: ZAqzro6.png]
[Image: XDmRODi.png]

I still have the advantage of the fact, that my setup acts in very similar to a ROM (the output is the same). No need for big modification, just one/two(the decision is yours) order to read/clear,attach it to any existing RAM/ROM, adress it in the same way and you're good to go.

RE: Chest memory - Chibill - 01-17-2014

But is this just and reader and write no actual storage?

RE: Chest memory - Frontrider - 01-17-2014

Well, im not gone that deep, because i stopped working in binary, im actually gone really far away from it by now.
The system right now is to transfer, and read in a fast, and safe way, maybe used for networking.
The storage right now is the cart, and the reader.
But if i ever build some kind of large storage block, I will use 1 hopper for each bit to speed up the reading(i dont care that 1 chest can store 27 bits, too slow to read), and adress them in FAT.Maybe 5 droppers make up one segment.
Works for real HDD why not to work in redstone.

RE: Chest memory - Chibill - 01-18-2014

At lest here your not trying to say using two items is better then many(one per bit) like me first thread for my high density minecart ram. But still nice.

RE: Chest memory - Frontrider - 01-18-2014

At least, makes it mutch faster to set up. I tried to make items store their exact position, but i lost in the tons of items (one of my application pictures show that, i did not had too many items at that project, but i seen that coming). Thats the reason why i switched to this setup, no names, no problem, still nothing stack.
One day its just came to my mind that potions do not stack , but can be filtered.
The system could be expanded with water/lava bukets, minecarts, boats, and random stacking items, that can not be the same in one chest.All these items can not be filtered(no normal filters here), but they have special properties making filtering possible (mostly dispenser behavior).