Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
The New, Improved Story of an Ice - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Introductions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: The New, Improved Story of an Ice (/thread-1747.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The New, Improved Story of an Ice - Iceglade - 12-28-2013

I know, I know, I should only post here once, but hey, I figured I'd improve my old story of an Ice for newcomers and old members alike considering that I've now been here a year! I'm still a newborn baby compared to some of you grizzled veterans here, but hey... it's a milestone!

Rewind to 2011 when I first got minecraft. For literally 5 months I had a survival world called "Bed" (because I had vowed to sleep every night... idk...) where I had this massive, ugly, cobblestone thing that I lived in and expanded and expanded... rinse and repeat. Quite honestly, I was at that point beginning to regret spending my 27 dollars.

At the same time in real life, I had just gotten an electronics kit. One of those Snap Circuits things... no arduinos here Smile All the experiments were great, and I loved electronics from that point onward. However, a few of the experiments blew me away beyond the others: Simple AND Gate, Simple OR Gate, Simple NOT Gate, Simple NAND Gate. As you can guess, the enthusiasm for things like those never really went away, and they're still fresh here.

And there you go! At that point I was also doing the FLL technic lego competition on one of my states, and the nation's, top 100 teams. This also got me into the technical side of stuff.

Alright, fast forward to ~March 2012 when I first discover redstone. I'd been opening doors with levers in my cobblestone thing for months, but suddenly I found this fun little red dust which could bring power from a lever over THERE, to a door over HERE! I think that moment was where I stopped regretting buying Minecraft. I looked up redstone on youtube, and what would I find but working computers! I looked a little bit closer, and all of it clicked together... the computers were made up of thousands of my precious AND gates and OR gates and NAND gates. Who would have known? Quite honestly, piston doors never really caught my attention, they seemed too simple and size-focused to me.

Three months later, I have my own computer based on Benny's tutorial with a few added touches (larger ALU, bin comparator, BUD RAM, etc.) (Also, if you're actually reading this, have a slice of cherry pie!) I spent so much time programming this thing... it was just amazing to be able to program on something that I had made. And all the while I was looking up towards the RDF as the carriers of all wisdom and greatness, and finally I submitted an application. I'd link it here, but prop recently took the forums down and it's gone forever ;-; It showcased the beginning of a third computer which would never be finished, a VERY primitive IS which would later become ice100, and whack-a-mole!

A few weeks into the RDF, I decide to start YouTube, and from then on out my identity in minecraft will always be IceAndMc. I posted a bunch of videos towards the start, mingling in piston doors and command blocks to try and appeal to the mainstream. When the RDF died, I became even more obsessed with my piston doors and ended up getting a comment from DicoTheRedstoner. I thought this was a shining moment... bleh.

And then ORE.

Then I'm back to logic! I start a bunch of projects that are doomed to fail and convert my channel to an ORE member's channel. My views and subs, ironically, start flying up and finally we get to the posting of my graphing calculator. I threw it on reddit... because why not, right? and magically I get 500 likes and 8000 views. I'm in utter shock, and finally that dies down leaving me with a new giant project that, hopefully, will be finished real soon!

This turned into something of a rant, hopefully you all don't mind. If you actually read all this, congratulations. You'll know what you get.

Out!

RE: The New, Improved Story of an Ice - David - 12-28-2013

Very cool story and all, but let's get to business. Where is my slice of cherry pie?

RE: The New, Improved Story of an Ice - Iceglade - 12-29-2013

You actually read it... wow

RE: The New, Improved Story of an Ice - AFtExploision - 12-29-2013

I need my pie too

Well now it's ruined. Thanks a lot.

*folds arms and runs to corner

RE: The New, Improved Story of an Ice - AFtExploision - 12-29-2013

PIE NOW

*distributes pie, making sure to give Aft less

RE: The New, Improved Story of an Ice - Chibill - 12-30-2013

Yum pie! Nice ice

RE: The New, Improved Story of an Ice - AFtExploision - 12-30-2013

I NEED MORE

RE: The New, Improved Story of an Ice - Malcolmforde - 01-01-2014

My first electronics kit was a snap circuits thing too Big Grin
And the second think I have ever messed around with was a 555 timer.