Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Are We Reaching Our Limits? (/thread-1712.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Frontrider - 12-28-2013

(12-28-2013, 06:07 PM)xdot Wrote:
(12-28-2013, 11:26 AM)WrytXander Wrote: I havent looked at IS optimization/standartization since I left RDF (long time). But, as Guy stated, the future of Redstone is software, protocols and all that - untouched/raw - beautiful stuff. This gets me very excited and pumped about working on those stuff. But, you can not just say "Hey I made a standart." First, maybe we could start out by defining very low-level standarts at ORE and maybe make thread about it on MC Forums ot Reddit? Since not everyone who is capable of making redstone CPU's are in ORE.

Indeed, this aspect of redstone is very intriguing. We seriously need a serial data transfer protocol and a way of classifying protocols (based on characteristics such as data word width and rate or potential applications). Is anyone else interested in the developement of such protocols/standards?

Maybe a new thread where everyone has one post to write down what codes he using? Then the designated person/team pick the standards.

And in the programming method what i suggested, you dont need to leave the game, everything can be done in-game.The reading method works, tested on a screen.You want me to post a picture on it, or find it out by yourself? Big Grin.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Chibill - 12-28-2013

I say the only standard should be a IS that it can understand but it does not have to even be the native one it could be IS add one that it can understand like MCX will have its own but with an interpreter for others.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - xdot - 12-28-2013

(12-28-2013, 06:37 PM)Frontrider Wrote: Maybe a new thread where everyone has one post to write down what codes he using? Then the designated person/team pick the standards.

http://forum.openredstone.org/showthread.php?tid=1757

GOGOGO.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Chibill - 12-28-2013

Booo! No standard that it must be but one it must be able to run or interpret.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Frontrider - 12-28-2013

The coding of the orders matter for you? The thread originally suggested standard parts, what you have to use.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Chibill - 12-29-2013

Standard parts are even a harder idea then Minecraft we become boring.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Ntwede - 12-29-2013

xdot Wrote:Sure. However, sooner or later you will hit the physical hardware limit of your (IRL) computer.
(12-25-2013, 09:17 PM)Iceglade Wrote: Ehh... if there's a limit that's not it. xD

I have a decent computer, and it lags with a writable prog CPU I made

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Kernul_Sanders - 01-06-2014

Create an instant redstone mod.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - EDevil - 01-06-2014

YESH. INSTANT REDSTONE FTW! (No, plz dont. rlly)

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Halflife390 - 01-06-2014

(12-26-2013, 10:22 PM)mort96 Wrote: My wiew of it is this:
Yes, we are approaching a limit. We are nearing a point where redstone contraptions can't get get any smaller or faster. However, that's when the fun starts.

We will have to start putting devices together. Make standardized protocols. Connect various devices, screens, inputs, etc. to CPUs.

The world of Minecraft software is relatively unexplored. We've put together a ton of CPUs, buy for each CPU, we've just made an adder program for demonstration. Maybe a multiplication program. Some people have implemented line drawing alrithms, but that's pretty much as far as it goes.

I'm working on a CPU, and a programming language to go with that CPU. I'm also writing a compiler for that language: http://mortie.org/?webapp=compiler_16 The plan is to have a function where you can download a schematic of the compiled program, and just //paste that next to the CPU.

I think that kind of projects are the future. Easily programmable CPUs with compilers for high-ish level languages. No more manually placing torches. Just program in a language and //paste the resulting schematic.

Furthermore, we can design a standard instruction set and a standard program ROM design. That way, we can have a bunch of CPUs which can all run the same software. That's when the software revolution will start.

As Berick said, there are no limits to those who see no limits.

Me and Wrubble are working on something like that right now. Were working on coding a virtual machine into my von neumann that will allow multiple CPU's to run the same instruction set. Im also planning on making a compiler out of redstone for my CPU. Because of the versatility of it I am going to code a BIOS and OS along with programs (Not just adding and multiplying) such as a guessing game.

But i agree with many people here. We need to start to stop making computers and start making compilers and assemblers and proper programming languages for them so we can make advanced software.