Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Are We Reaching Our Limits? (/thread-1712.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Magazorb - 12-27-2013

(12-26-2013, 10:22 PM)mort96 Wrote: http://mortie.org/?webapp=compiler_16

2Questions,

Q1). What use will label provide?

Q2). What's the point of having 2 functions for shifting over 1 function with a bit for which direction to shift and just save to the same address as ARG1? (not hard to duplicate if you required the before shift and after)

TBH quite intresting stuff and would love to see how this turns out Big Grin

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Chibill - 12-27-2013

what does it compile to?

And time to finish my external binarry to schematic convertor!

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - mort96 - 12-27-2013

(12-27-2013, 01:43 AM)Magazorb Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 10:22 PM)mort96 Wrote: http://mortie.org/?webapp=compiler_16

2Questions,

Q1). What use will label provide?

Q2). What's the point of having 2 functions for shifting over 1 function with a bit for which direction to shift and just save to the same address as ARG1? (not hard to duplicate if you required the before shift and after)

TBH quite intresting stuff and would love to see how this turns out Big Grin

Labels will let you go to places in the code. You can for instance do this:
LABEL pizza
then a bit further down in your code:
GOTOEQ pizza A 423

That will go back to the pizza label if register A == 423.

I guess whether you want "LSHIFT A" and "RSHIFT A" or "SHIFT A L" or "SHIFT A R" is a matter of opinion.

(12-27-2013, 02:46 AM)Chibill Wrote: what does it compile to?

And time to finish my external binarry to schematic convertor!

It compiles into machine code, that is the 0s and 1s represented by torches in the program memory.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Chibill - 12-27-2013

I mean what type of OPcode set like the converting to binary. Like ADD is the same as 0001 ARG ARG
Or ADD is 0100 ARG ARG.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Frontrider - 12-27-2013

I think the compiler should write into chests.They work like extremly compact tapes, and mutch easier to transport.Then the code can be loaded into the existing memory.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Treesin - 12-27-2013

(12-27-2013, 10:57 AM)Frontrider Wrote: I think the compiler should write into chests.They work like extremly compact tapes, and mutch easier to transport.Then the code can be loaded into the existing memory.

The problem with doing that is that, although chests can hold a lot of information in a tiny space, it is really difficult to get that information out without it being huge. So if the person has already built a reader for chests, it's easy enough, but otherwise, it's kind of a pain, and slow regardless. Also, people usually use Read-only memory for their CPUs, so you can't assume that the existing memory is able to be loaded to. If the person was working with ROM, then in addition to the chest reader that they would have to build, they would have to switch their program memory to be able to be written to, which would make it way bigger. I think it makes a lot more sense to just have the filter turn the code into a ROM unit, which would fix both of the described problems.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Frontrider - 12-27-2013

once you copied the data from the chest(i mean replicated it) then a 3x3x2 unit (/bit) can read it and store it like an EPROM.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - WrytXander - 12-28-2013

I havent looked at IS optimization/standartization since I left RDF (long time). But, as Guy stated, the future of Redstone is software, protocols and all that - untouched/raw - beautiful stuff. This gets me very excited and pumped about working on those stuff. But, you can not just say "Hey I made a standart." First, maybe we could start out by defining very low-level standarts at ORE and maybe make thread about it on MC Forums ot Reddit? Since not everyone who is capable of making redstone CPU's are in ORE.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Frontrider - 12-28-2013

(12-28-2013, 11:26 AM)WrytXander Wrote: I havent looked at IS optimization/standartization since I left RDF (long time). But, as Guy stated, the future of Redstone is software, protocols and all that - untouched/raw - beautiful stuff. This gets me very excited and pumped about working on those stuff. But, you can not just say "Hey I made a standart." First, maybe we could start out by defining very low-level standarts at ORE and maybe make thread about it on MC Forums ot Reddit? Since not everyone who is capable of making redstone CPU's are in ORE.

A scripting/machine code standard is everithing what is nessarry.Theres still unexplored terrain, like the item memories,or comperator based computers(this is what im working on, i have a fast and small octal ALU, working on the program memory right now, knowing some standard orders could help).

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - xdot - 12-28-2013

(12-28-2013, 11:26 AM)WrytXander Wrote: I havent looked at IS optimization/standartization since I left RDF (long time). But, as Guy stated, the future of Redstone is software, protocols and all that - untouched/raw - beautiful stuff. This gets me very excited and pumped about working on those stuff. But, you can not just say "Hey I made a standart." First, maybe we could start out by defining very low-level standarts at ORE and maybe make thread about it on MC Forums ot Reddit? Since not everyone who is capable of making redstone CPU's are in ORE.

Indeed, this aspect of redstone is very intriguing. We seriously need a serial data transfer protocol and a way of classifying protocols (based on characteristics such as data word width and rate or potential applications). Is anyone else interested in the developement of such protocols/standards?