Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: Are We Reaching Our Limits? (/thread-1712.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Are We Reaching Our Limits? - WrytXander - 12-24-2013

As we all know, the amount of optimization we have done as the "Prof. Dr. Redstone" for years is amazing! Wr have went from 3 wide 8 long 4 high DFF's to Hans
Lemurson's famous stackable RAM. From 100 cubic meters of logic for one bit addition, to 46-48 cubic meter for one bit addition. We developed instant-stuff, derived high-end theorical imprivements or used already existing ones to our advantage, PLA is one of the most obveous example probably.

But, when we will reach our limits, that we can not make it even faster and compacter? Theoritically speaking, the smallest computer in MC is 1x1x1 and it is instant. How close can we actually get to this limit?

Thruout the history of mankind, this question was always being asked, to scientist. People would tell that the mobile phones can not get any thinner, CPU's cant get any faster, you can not render a rectangle faster then this due to this, this is the fastest connection speed you can get...

But as you can see, there is no stopping in the nature if mankind. We always advance further and further. 3 gHz CPU's are considered normal in PC's now. But when you think about it, we are talking about approximetly 3 million operations being done every second! GPU's can render 4K videos at 120 fps, we can have amazing realistic game plays, octrees, hyper-speed voxel renderings, shadow mapping and all that cool stuff!

So, you might say, "Well, then there is no limit to redstone eh?" Well ofcourse there is, but I think we are far away from reaching it.

If you ask me, the main reason we are not even close, divides into two parts: Optimization and practical implementation of these optimizations.

When I was planning the WX 0.1 (a CPU of mine) i wanted to get the fastest clock speed ever reached with a minecraft CPU. I managed to get 8 tick clock speed with it, but due to unreliable pistons being pistons and server-side issues it made my game lag, and I kept it at 10 ticks which is the equivelent of 1 Hz. Now, I dont knoe about you, but I dont usually see a 1 Hz CPU in MC. The reason I was able to achiave such speed was simple, I optimized. The cpu used this concept called "software pipeline", and if you know me well, i love software pipelines :D, which is basically dividing instructions into several parts, so that the distance the data travels at one clock cycle is decreased, thus increasing the clock rate.

PLA is an amazing example of this optimization/implementation rule IMHO. It something that you can explain on a toilet paper if you really wanted to, but It all comes down to optimizing it for our platform, which happrns to be MC, and doing the correct moves to take the full advantage of it in game.

So, these are my reasons why I think we are away from reaching the so called limit, since we are just scratching the surface of things (like analog concepts, networking, standartization, doing BCD in compacter ways this could go on forever). At first what we did was to implement real life concepts, but now we have just started advancing!

Leave your opinions below, and sorry for the big-as# rant :')

And oh, is this the correct sub-forum? :0

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Chibill - 12-24-2013

There is no limt but ones imagination because some could make a fast CPU but its large yet another could have a small one that's slow.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - AFtExploision - 12-24-2013

Limits? If we reach limits, move on to mods!

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Iceglade - 12-25-2013

lim redstone = infinity
redstone -> infinity

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - xdot - 12-25-2013

(12-24-2013, 11:25 PM)Chibill Wrote: There is no limt but ones imagination because some could make a fast CPU but its large yet another could have a small one that's slow.

There is a chunk load limit.

Unless mojang continues to enhance redstone, we will soon hit a dead end.

Even if we did hit a limit in optimization, the next step would be to move into even more complex stuff. For instance, perhaps computers with an integrated programming interface would become the new standard.

And if, somehow in years we could not go any further, our new goal would be to introduce new people to the amazing concepts of logic.

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Chibill - 12-25-2013

Xdot that's where vinnila portal chunk loaders coming handy or bukkit chunk loaders

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - xdot - 12-25-2013

(12-25-2013, 05:18 PM)Chibill Wrote: Xdot that's where vinnila portal chunk loaders coming handy or bukkit chunk loaders

Sure. However, sooner or later you will hit the physical hardware limit of your (IRL) computer. Tongue

EDIT: Moved to a more suitable subforum.

Ehh... if there's a limit that's not it. xD

RE: Are We Reaching Our Limits? - Chibill - 12-25-2013

Xdot then we must redstone can expand till IRL computers hit there limits.