Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) (/thread-1709.html)

Pages: 1 2

Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - WrytXander - 12-24-2013

Hello everyone! For 6 months, Python was my main programming language, the language I am comfortable with, I think I am not that bad at getting the things done efficiently or understand someone elses code. But I feel like it is the time to leave home and find out about all the wonders of other languages. I have done a little bit of work in Java (again I am sorry, I have failed you master-Xeo) mainly with LWJGL and OpenGL, watched Benny's awesome tutorials on pong and game engine. Than I realized, what I really wanted was to write programs that somehow include graphics, vectors, transformation and what not since I was pretty much done with scripting. And as you know, PyOpenGL is nice and all, but it does not feel natural with Python. PyGame is great for what I am lookig for, but not everyone has python with pygame module.

So basically the language I am looking for should basically be easy to run cross devices, and support good grapgic libraries. I know there are not a whole lot of diffrent options (I plan on java right now) I really want to hear your opinion!

Btw, I would like to learn all these stuff about Networking (sockets and what not) but I have no idea what they are and in which language they are used. What do you use for your networking-tool or apps?

RE: Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - AFtExploision - 12-24-2013

C# I hear is pretty good cross-platform. You could use C++ with the QT library and compile it on different OS

RE: Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - Chibill - 12-24-2013

C# uses Microsoft .net framework Aft so yes you could compile it to different OSs but its a hassle.

C++ you would need a cross-compiler. And java you just need the Compiler in the SDK and eclipse or your IDE of chose

Also there is OpenGL for C++ it was made for C++ before beig ported to java.

RE: Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - xdot - 12-24-2013

(12-24-2013, 05:40 PM)WrytXander Wrote: So basically the language I am looking for easy to run cross devices, and support good grapgic libraries

C++ - It can be compiled for virtually all platforms out there and there are literally a billion C++ graphics libraries. For instance, SDL (low level cross-platform windowing and input), GLFW, COGL (Object-oriented wrapper around OpenGL), GLM (Linear math library), Ogre (open source game engine) e.t.c. Of course, you could always use the plain low-level OpenGL API (or DirectX - eww).

(12-24-2013, 05:40 PM)WrytXander Wrote: Btw, I would like to learn all these stuff about Networking (sockets and what not) but I have no idea what they are and in which language they are used. What do you use for your networking-tool or apps?

The actual socket interface and implementation is (usually) written in C. However, most languages provide (thin) wrappers around those functions - e.g. Python's "socket" module. I'd recommend Beej's Guide to Network Programming as it covers almost every aspect of it.

RE: Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - WrytXander - 12-24-2013

(12-24-2013, 08:59 PM)xdot Wrote:
(12-24-2013, 05:40 PM)WrytXander Wrote: So basically the language I am looking for easy to run cross devices, and support good grapgic libraries

C++ - It can be compiled for virtually all platforms out there and there are literally a billion C++ graphics libraries. For instance, SDL (low level cross-platform windowing and input), GLFW, COGL (Object-oriented wrapper around OpenGL), GLM (Linear math library), Ogre (open source game engine) e.t.c. Of course, you could always use the plain low-level OpenGL API (or DirectX - eww).

(12-24-2013, 05:40 PM)WrytXander Wrote: Btw, I would like to learn all these stuff about Networking (sockets and what not) but I have no idea what they are and in which language they are used. What do you use for your networking-tool or apps?

The actual socket interface and implementation is (usually) written in C. However, most languages provide (thin) wrappers around those functions - e.g. Python's "socket" module. I'd recommend Beej's Guide to Network Programming as it covers almost every aspect of it.

Thanks for the great reply, +1 Appreciation points :)

(12-24-2013, 07:42 PM)Chibill Wrote: C# uses Microsoft .net framework Aft so yes you could compile it to different OSs but its a hassle.

C++ you would need a cross-compiler. And java you just need the Compiler in the SDK and eclipse or your IDE of chose

Also there is OpenGL for C++ it was made for C++ before beig ported to java.

Yay, thank you! I use NetBeans for Java, but maybe there are better ines out there that I am not aware of! What is your chose of IDE? (For Java, and Python if you use a 3rd party one :) )

And thanks Aft! :)

RE: Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - Malcolmforde - 12-24-2013

PyGame + Python = fun fun

RE: Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - Chibill - 12-24-2013

Eclipse with the python plugin. For both.

RE: Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - WrytXander - 12-25-2013

(12-24-2013, 11:51 PM)Chibill Wrote: Eclipse with the python plugin. For both.

Is it like, easy? Since finding a python 3 plugin for NetBeans was pain in the butt :D

RE: Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - Xeomorpher - 12-25-2013

If you want to do this for the fun of it, pygame is great - it's in a language you're familiar with, and works just fine for low performance stuff. If you want better compatability though, without having to install pygame, SDL (which pygame uses) will do just fine, or OGL.

RE: Me wants halp D: (No Xeo allowed (kinda)) - WrytXander - 12-25-2013

(12-25-2013, 04:47 PM)Xeomorpher Wrote: If you want to do this for the fun of it, pygame is great - it's in a language you're familiar with, and works just fine for low performance stuff. If you want better compatability though, without having to install pygame, SDL (which pygame uses) will do just fine, or OGL.

Yay! I think pygame is great too, but i just wanted to try something new. I will look into the libraries you mentioned. Thanks a bunch ^.^

Such language, Java omg, many libraries, so drama, wow