Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
A Whole Year! - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Introductions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: A Whole Year! (/thread-1579.html)

Pages: 1 2

A Whole Year! - seankingman - 12-14-2013

Hello,

Well it has been a year (as of today) since I joined the RDF/ORE community and I have so far had a brilliant time and made loads of new friends. Although I have been quite inactive for the past 6 months compared to the prior 6 months, I'm still thinking about the community, I was just very busy and needed a break. Now for the main point of this post, I have never made an in depth introduction before so here goes (I'll try to summarize):

I first found out about Minecraft back in July/August 2011 by a friend who recommended it to me (he in fact made me an account for it, the one I still use today). At first I wasn't that into it, playing the free in-browser one which I found quite boring. My friend then showed me his full version which even without any mods was a big improvement over the in-browser one. I downloaded a cracked version (I know!) and was very happy with it - I built my first cave and mine! I then started building airports (I loved them!) which looked cool - one of which had the control tower built into a cliff with the runway below. My first use of redstone was when I got my friend (I had no idea how it worked) to install runway lights; they were repeater based so had a nice delay that made them look as if they were moving.

I built a few more of these and by the new year I had found out about the true potential of redstone. I completed Minenewb's How to build a computer tutorial which gave me a 4-bit ALU and Hexadecimal 7 Segment Display to play with. I had a lot of fun with it but wanted more so I built Benny's tutorial computer. The adder actually worked on this one and so I had felt as if I had achieved something big when I could finally add 2 and 3 together and get 5 out! By the summer of 2012 I had built a couple of computers (all of which based on tutorials) and a Binary to BCD Decoder. Around the same time I had found out about this community which had servers dedicated to redstone and some of the most reputable redstoners around called the Redstone Development Foundation (At this point I should probably point out that I had bought Minecraft prior and so could go on servers). I always wanted to join but didn't know how to.

Some time during October/November I watched one of Benny's videos on what he had built on this RDF and I was immediately inspired. Over the next month I tried to apply for the RDF but with no success (Keep in mind at this time the RDF was going through a major restructuring of the website, etc. So that was why I couldn't apply). I finally decided to log in to the server and I was immediately greeted. I got in touch with guy1234567890 (still my favorite admin Smile) and because the website was down he instead just asked me some questions on my experience with redstone. After liking what I'd done he offered me a trial and on the night of Friday, 14th December 2012 I was in position on the trial plots ready to start. I built a 2 bit adder module outputting to a Bin - Dec Decoder and 7 Seg Display (although they were not part of the judging). Guy oversaw the trial and at the end I demonstrated it and he asked me questions on the logic involved, then voo-la I was part of the team! Big Grin

So there you have it for the first part.
Look forward to part 2 where I will talk about what I got up to on the RDF and then the ORE through to now, coming soon! Big Grin

RE: A Whole Year! - Iceglade - 12-15-2013

... We joined within ten days of each other! :O

RE: A Whole Year! - Chibill - 12-15-2013

I join Minecraft in June 2011 I think..
Then RDF shortly after.

RE: A Whole Year! - Treesin - 12-16-2013

Newbies Tongue. I think I've been a member since around February of 2011. It's been a longggg time.

RE: A Whole Year! - EDevil - 12-16-2013

Great to see you back online man. I'll love to spend some time with you on TS / in-game!

RE: A Whole Year! - Guy1234567890 - 12-16-2013

Hmmmmm It's been almost 2 years for me... meh

RE: A Whole Year! - Ntwede - 12-17-2013

Nice! Glad to see people people have this much fun clicking and typing on a computer!

RE: A Whole Year! - Chibill - 12-18-2013

I am a computer.....

RE: A Whole Year! - seankingman - 12-18-2013

Thanks for the reply's guys, I will be active this weekend and next week. Smile

RE: A Whole Year! - Guy1234567890 - 12-19-2013

Big Grin :3 Big Grin