Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Potential Server Map Wipe - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-102.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Potential Server Map Wipe (/thread-14918.html)

Potential Server Map Wipe - Nickster258 - 01-15-2019

Hello allo,

As some of you are aware, Staff has begun fervently working on 1.13 with many proposed changes to come along with that. One big change that Staff wanted to talk to the community about is on the idea of clearing the server worlds. This would simply mean that upon ORE rolling out 1.13, an entirely new set of maps will be rolled out with School and Build.

Why? Multiple reasons, really.

Firstly, 1.13 did quite a bit of modifications with block storage types and how the server communicates with blocks. Upgrading a 1.12 map to 1.13 actually requires the servers to go through a conversion process for the map. However, not all of these conversion processes go smoothly. There have been reports from other servers that this conversion process breaks the world or an area of the world. We would like to avoid this headache.

Secondly, a fresh start. The current Build and School map has lived a long and healthy life of almost 4 years. It has gone through many upgrades, rollbacks, and mcedits. It also has had a lot of creations built in it that are no longer used or haven't been used in ages. A new map would easily suffice as trying to convince users to cleanup old creations on their plot would be a long process considering our user base.

Just so people don't get obnoxiously worried, the old maps would be archived so users can easily download them and copy schematics over that they didn't think to save prior to the new map.

This is just one idea of likely more to come that Staff would like to present to the community formally so that we can get a better feel of everyone's opinion on this idea.

Sincerely,
~NickCapoPalikkaDynamicG

RE: Potential Server Map Wipe - QSmally - 01-15-2019

I'd like a restart of the map if I get my two plots.
:p

RE: Potential Server Map Wipe - marwenn - 01-15-2019

A fresh start would be nice, thanks for the option though.
My estimate ~90 - 100 % yay

RE: Potential Server Map Wipe - EpicnessLord12 - 01-15-2019

85% yay, but you'll have to accommodate for people's in-progress builds (not that I have any)

RE: Potential Server Map Wipe - Apuly - 01-15-2019

(01-15-2019, 05:23 PM)EpicnessLord12 Wrote: 85% yay, but you'll have to accommodate for people's in-progress builds (not that I have any)

It's in op.
The old map will be archived, and you can import from the archive using WE.
Basically the same system as we used for the previous map.

RE: Potential Server Map Wipe - PNWMan - 01-16-2019

Will this new map come with and End Dimension with tile drops?

RE: Potential Server Map Wipe - Nickster258 - 01-16-2019

Likely being that the end and the nether are no longer accessible by players. Such shenanigans will likely be reserved to a server quarantined off just for that purpose.

RE: Potential Server Map Wipe - Alek145 - 02-18-2019

So uhhh, what about 1.14?