Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Thread to discuss YouTube - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Thread to discuss YouTube (/thread-1373.html)

Pages: 1 2

Thread to discuss YouTube - Iceglade - 11-14-2013

Being a community with several youtubers, let's get to ranting about YouTube's many issues!

Including the freaking Bobs that have now invaded the comment sections!

begin.

RE: Thread to discuss YouTube - newomaster - 11-15-2013

Okay I do have some stuff to rant on about youtube. First of all: new comment system:
-half the time it doesn't let you reply for some reason
-It lets you post as long of a comment as you want and have links and crap...
-Top comments aren't based on number of likes but by replies. So flame wars appear at the top instead of legitimately good comments.
-You're forced to use google+
-Instead of putting new comments into your inbox it chooses a random portion of new comments (not even all of them) to show you with Google+ notifications, along with other garbage google+ decides you want to see.
-You can't reply old to comments from before the change at all.
-It defaults EVERYTHING to share on google+ which is just an utter scam for google to increase the number of "shares" on google+ so they can boast.
-On the mobile youtube application it is impossible to switch out of "view top comments" mode, and all comments are shown in full (so you have to spend hours scrolling past really long comments). Completely broken.

Generally speaking, from the new change, we can see that google doesn't give a damn about the quality of the site. All it wants is to be able to see your youtube activity through google+ so they can nail you with better ads (and it's working, I've noticed noticed the ads recently are more related to what I've been watching on youtube).

Okay, now for a more personal issue I've had with youtube. So recently I've had one of my videos taken down ("Rejected") apparently because someone decided to use a view spam bot on it (probably why it had 3000 views when most of my videos get 1-2 hundred). I just have to ask...WHY is it my fault that some random user decided to spam bot my video and WHY am I getting a strike for violating their terms. They have powerful enough surveillance to detect when a video is being spammed. Heck, they have powerful enough surveillance to detect what videos I like to watch and recommend things, but they can't find out which user is using spam bots. I understand that some youtubers probably spam their own videos to increase their own view count, but is it really fair to assume that every time a video gets spammed it is the fault of the uploader? NO. They have all the required technology to find exactly who spammed a video and give them the required consequences.
As for them taking down my video, I'm fine with it. It got illegitimate views and I re uploaded it. I am NOT fine with my account getting strikes and possible deletion (if it happens again) due to an injustice in the system.

This is an exact copy of the email youtube sent me regarding the matter:
"Regarding your account: Newomaster

This following video was found in Violation of TOU #4 Section H:

Redstone: A lengthy explanation of square roots

http://www.youtube.com/t/terms

"You agree not to use or launch any automated system, including without limitation, "robots," "spiders," or "offline readers," that accesses the Service in a manner that sends more request messages to the YouTube servers in a given period of time than a human can reasonably produce in the same period by using a conventional on-line web browser. Notwithstanding the foregoing, YouTube grants the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials. YouTube reserves the right to revoke these exceptions either generally or in specific cases. You agree not to collect or harvest any personally identifiable information, including account names, from the Service, nor to use the communication systems provided by the Service (e.g., comments, email) for any commercial solicitation purposes. You agree not to solicit, for commercial purposes, any users of the Service with respect to their Content."

Violation of the policy above has resulted in the removal and reupload of your video(s). Additional account violations of Terms of Use #4 Section H will result in account suspension. Many users trust outside marketers who claim to increase views, subscribers, likes, etc., but each user is ultimately responsible for the activity on his or her account, as well as for knowing and abiding by YouTube’s Terms of Use. This includes understanding the nature of the traffic on his or her channel and making sure any hired service providers comply with YouTube’s Terms of Use.

For more information about how to appeal the video removal(s), visit this page in the Help Center:

https://support.google.com/youtube/contact/tou_removal_appeal

Please note that deleting the video(s) will not resolve the Terms of Use violation and it will prevent YouTube from reinstating the video(s), even if the appeal(s) would otherwise have been successful. You may also reupload the removed video(s) providing you do not violate YouTube’s Terms of Use.

As a courtesy, we have reuploaded your video(s) here:

Redstone: A lengthy explanation of square roots

Please note that the video exists at a new URL. Please also note that all previous views, likes, and comments have been removed.

Sincerely,
The YouTube Team"

Also, they changed the like bar to blue...Really?
Also, I support Bob and his army of tanks. I won't spam them myself but I'm not going to be deleting them if they start appearing on my videos.

Okay, that's my little rant Ice. Probably more to come in the near future.

RE: Thread to discuss YouTube - EDevil - 11-15-2013

Newo just summed up this entire topic within one post xD But yeah, totally agree with all of your points.
One thing that i especially find annoying though, is that when people put a certain time in their comment. Normally, when you clicked on it, it would direct you to the correct time within that video. Now though, when i click on it i get redirected to a new tab, with the same video. And the best part about it is, is that the new tab / video now starts at 0:00 again, instead of the time that was in the comment. Im really sorry, but youtube fcked up properly this time.

Ow, and Bob is cute. I do not copy him though, but he's cute. Just putting it out there.

RE: Thread to discuss YouTube - David - 11-15-2013

RE: Thread to discuss YouTube - Iceglade - 11-15-2013

Also, it's worth mentioning on this thread that Jawed Karim himself (one of YouTube's founders) actually made a first appearance in eight years on his channel to dis the new comment system.

If that doesn't send Google a message, I don't know what will.

RE: Thread to discuss YouTube - Xray_Doc - 11-16-2013

In cause you don't know what Bob is, here is a history lesson.

It originated on /b/. It got picked up by tumblr and 9gag who turned it to shit and spam it everywhere. And now they have the youtube commenters doing it, as if they weren't bad enough.

So yeah, the spam is 10x worse then the G+ commenting system, as none of the people working at youtube give a single fuck about what these guys spam. However, this new feature will stop most commenting bot attacks. Then again, it just feels the same as if there are bots.

All in all, they're probably not removing it.

RE: Thread to discuss YouTube - David - 11-18-2013

(11-16-2013, 02:40 AM)Xray_Doc Wrote: In cause you don't know what Bob is, here is a history lesson.

It originated on /b/. It got picked up by tumblr and 9gag who turned it to shit and spam it everywhere. And now they have the youtube commenters doing it, as if they weren't bad enough.

So yeah, the spam is 10x worse then the G+ commenting system, as none of the people working at youtube give a single fuck about what these guys spam. However, this new feature will stop most commenting bot attacks. Then again, it just feels the same as if there are bots.

All in all, they're probably not removing it.

Exactly, it costed money to change the comment system, they are not going to say, oh, wait some guys are spamming bobs, let's throw 5000 000 dollars in the trash can

RE: Thread to discuss YouTube - Chibill - 11-18-2013

I like what they did to the iPod app but.

RE: Thread to discuss YouTube - Xray_Doc - 11-18-2013

Mobile commenting has always been shit. Also, the video buffering is pretty bad. However, the mobile layout is improving. I know of SOMEONE here who loves to complain about Youtube's mobile version.

RE: Thread to discuss YouTube - newomaster - 11-19-2013

Okay so apparently the random downtime Youtube experienced early today was them deciding to fuck things up EVEN MORE Big GrinDD

Now whenever I log on it makes me select from my normal google+ account and some random one they made called "Newo Master" (as opposed to Newomaster). Sometimes it decides to log me into "Newo Master" even when I select "Newomaster" When this happens I can't access my channel or any of my videos or subscriptions (it's like a new youtube account). Sometimes it also randomly decides to log me out, and half the time it decides to ask me again "use youtube as..." Which half the time doesn't work.

Just...wow.