Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
HCP V2 Computer - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: HCP V2 Computer (/thread-1256.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

HCP V2 Computer - Halflife390 - 10-27-2013

Hello My Fellow Redstoners

Hello and welcome to my thread about my first major project on the server!

The HCP V2 - Half.corp Computing Platform Version 2 (Version 1 was my first CPU)

Intro

For those of you who don't know, I joined the server about 2 months ago and so im relatively new. I have made many interesting redstone creations in my singleplayer world and my own server. The best creation was a 16 bit CPU about 6 months ago and I have now decided to make a new one. For infomation on my first CPU then kook at my app here - http://openredstone.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=1202)

My new CPU is going to be a lot better than the last one and it will have way more features.

The HCP V2

First of all it won't even be a CPU, it will be a computer. Technically, CPU's internal registers are not RAM, just temporary storage. My computer will have 16 those registers and also stacks and stacks of RAM. What will make my computer different to others is that it will be designed and modelled exactly like a real computer. This design is called Von Neumann and I believe only about 5% of redstone computers made in minecraft are this architecture, the rest use the harvard architecture. In fact I am reading a really interesting book about the CPU architecture and designing it strongly off the design in the book but with my own modifications. Once I have finished the CPU I will then upgrade it into a computer.

My computer should also have a type of harddrive where many programs will be stored, the program chosen can be loaded into RAM before being executed by the CPU.(EDIT: I'm not making the hard drive now as it server no real purpose as programs can just be stored in the RAM) It will also have some kind of screen and possibly a GPU (That depends on whether it has engulfed half the world Smile)

Specs:

- HCP V2 = Half.corp Computing Platform V2 (V1 was used in my first CPU)
- Von Neumann Architecture
- Runs the RedSet V2
- 8 Bit ALU (May expand after completion)
- ALU can perform Addition, subtraction (Negative support) All 18 logic operations - NOT, OR, NOR, AND, NAND, XOR, XNOR, IMPLIES, NOT IMPLIES, CONVERSE IMPLIES, CONVERSE NOT IMPLIES, NEGATION, CONVERSE NEGATION, PROJECTION, CONVERSE PROJECTION, IDENTITY, TRUE, FALSE. Shift and Rotate left and right, full comparator (A=B, A>B, A<B)
- Handle negatives (without sacrificing positive numbers)
- Many I/O devices will be attached after completion (Example 3x7 segment screens)
- 128 RAM addresses for 20 bit instruction words, this equals 320 bytes of total RAM. 28 addresses of it will be ROM (For the BIOS system I plan to add)
- Conditional and Unconditional jump instruction decided by 6 ALU flags (A=B, A>B, A<B, Zero, Carry Out, Negative)
- Based on a real CPU design
- RISC Instruction set
- 20 bit Instruction Words
- 16, 8 bit General Purpose Registers
- Not pipelined (Its Von Neumann so its hard!)
- Clock speed - Currently = 100 tick/ 10 seconds. I hope to cut this in half by the time debugging is finished. (Im focusing on efficiency and capability rather than speed)
- 7-8 steps in the stepper (No program counter) = Instruction cycle = 35 or 40 seconds.
- Overclocking Capabilities ( Some kind of interface to raise clock speed but risk cutting out instructions)
- Large I/O bus for adding devices like keyboard, GPU, printer, VDU (All of which I have plans on adding!)
- MAY after completion make an assembler so you can write in ASCII words and they will be decoded into machine code (Not really been done before)
- Will be hooked up to "The Network" (Me and some guys on the server are planning on adding network cards to our cpu's and connecting them to a router so we can transfer data.
- Is MASSIVE and so far covers half my plot!
- More specs will be added later

Here is the Instruction Set:

[Image: oSjjIso.png?1]

Current Progress

Currently the computer is done! All of the registers are there, the ALU, Bus, RAM and finally the control section are complete! The final thing that needs to happen before I can test the computer is to test it. Once that is done I can start coding many thing in and start on I/O! I have made two youtube videos on this project and they are on my channel, more pictures will be added soon, I have already put one in the comments.

Future Plans

I have loads of plans for the future of this computer. Firstly I will make lots of programs and make sure they all work. But after the computer is finished it will not be complete. That will be a huge chunk of the work done but much more needs to be added. Here is a few of these things:

An I/O bus - For connecting any input / output devices.

Keyboard - For typing in letters

GPU - For displaying images and results of calculations, word processor. (I don't know much about GPU's atm so I will need to learn more before I can try this)

Speakers/Sound card - Why not? It'll be interesting to try but not on the top of the priority list.

Printer - For printing blocks that have been made by a program like paint on the GPU

Network Card and Router - As mentioned above I and other have decided to develope a kind of network where people can send data from one CPU to another using the router.

USB Ports - Just some simple serial ports for adding extra devices without needing large buses.

Assembler - As mentioned above I have some very clever ideas on how to make a assembler and an assembly language. I would code the computer using english words and then the cpu will run a program that will decode them into machine code. Me and Wrubbel were having a interesting conversation today about how we could use this for different computers to share one single IS. He also asked me about coding a virtual machine in RAM to facilitate this idea! I have also heared about the guy who made RedGame and how he attempted to make an assembler. Cant wait to take a crack at this one!

Updates

EDIT: Lots of stuff has been changed to this thread! (Some time ago)

EDIT: Lots more stuff has been changed to this thread! (10/12/13 English)

EDIT: The Control Unit is finally complete! Time for testing then start on I/O (14/12/13)

[Image: 4iBfd3e.png?1]

EDIT: I have now pretty much finished the IS and it is now uploaded onto here.

Firstly thankyou for reading this wall of text! If any of you have any questions or suggestions on any aspect of my computer or any of my future projects or if you would like to get involved in anything listed here, please, just drop a comment below and I will reply quickly as I always have this open in another tab.

I will next update this thread when I have ran a few test programs then i can start on I/O. Hopefully I will have more pictures by then as well!
Big Grin

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Iceglade - 10-27-2013

Sounds very nice! But why 61 bits, when you could just skip straight to 64 and have a nice 2^n?

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Halflife390 - 10-27-2013

(10-27-2013, 01:04 PM)Iceglade Wrote: Sounds very nice! But why 61 bits, when you could just skip straight to 64 and have a nice 2^n?

Sorry that was a typo, it was supposed be 16 bit Smile

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Iceglade - 10-27-2013

Makes more sense Smile 64 bit might be a bit overkill. Also, how will it be programmed?

RE: HCP V2 Computer - tokumei - 10-27-2013

Yo I'm already doing that... But only in 8 bits. I'm excited to see how yours turns out!

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Halflife390 - 12-10-2013

This thread has been heavily updated with my progress! Please re-read! Big Grin

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Wrubbel - 12-12-2013

Cant wait to see your cpu in action! I will think about a simple stack based vm that we could implement Big Grin

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Chibill - 12-12-2013

Not java please.

RE: HCP V2 Computer - EDevil - 12-12-2013

Great work HalfLife! Looking forward to when the CU is complete :3

RE: HCP V2 Computer - Halflife390 - 12-12-2013

(12-12-2013, 03:21 AM)Chibill Wrote: Not java please.

If you're talking about the assembler, no it won't be java it will be in redstone!