Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
Summer schedule; monthly designs and builds! - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Projects & Inventions (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: In Progress (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-20.html)
+---- Thread: Summer schedule; monthly designs and builds! (/thread-12380.html)

Pages: 1 2

Summer schedule; monthly designs and builds! - tokumei - 06-05-2017

Well, I will be keeping myself busy in the summer. I had originally planned to do an AVR CPU. That is still on the list, but it will be getting bumped down a little. Right now my top priority is my base automation project.

Besides that, I will be making a personal challenge to myself. I will be attempting to build 1 CPU for each month of the summer - June, July, and August. Each one will incorporate something different that I've never tried, usually a different architecture. If I like this idea and it doesn't bog me down, I will probably continue it into the school year.

So, for June, here is my goal (codename Juno):
- Accumulator architecture (new)
- 8 bit data size (new PR)
- 16 bytes of addressed memory
- 64 lines of PROM (new PR)
- 2 stage pipeline (fetch, execute)

For July (codename Julius):
- Dual ALU system
- 3 stage pipeline - Fetch/decode, execute, writeback
- 8 byte shared register file (4-6 general purpose registers)
- ALUs clocked out of phase with each other - one will read and execute while the other writes back. If the writeback and read are operating on the same register, the read will be using the register's state before the writeback.

For August (codename Augustus): IDK, give me ideas!

RE: Ugh, why have I taken on so many projects? (New summer schedule) - tokumei - 06-05-2017

Here is the current revision of my Juno instruction set:

[Image: af4aa5aff6.png];

For clarification, the operand name/description is outside of the parentheses, and the operand type is inside:
- A "pointer" means that the actual value used will be fetched from the memory location whose address is equal to the operand.
- An "immediate" means that the value passed in the operand is the literal value used.
- A "2s comp. immediate" is like an immediate as described above, but when padding to an 8 bit value the pad bit will be equal to the most significant bit. This effectively means that the operand's signed value at its original length will equal its signed value when padded.

I also forgot to mention: You may have noticed that the shifter accepts a signed immediate. That's right; I will be building my first bidirectional, variable shifter. I also plan to use that design at some later date (maybe the Augustus project) for a floating-point arithmetic unit.

RE: Ugh, why have I taken on so many projects? (New summer schedule) - tokumei - 06-07-2017

Progress update: Today, I started with an ALU...

... and ended with a nearly finished dataloop.

This project has gone very well so far! I am currently estimating it to be an 8 tick clock, which would be absolutely fantastic. Both the ALU and the barrel shifter could be clocked at 7 ticks, and memory operations will take 3-5 ticks.

RE: Ugh, why have I taken on so many projects? (New summer schedule) - tokumei - 06-07-2017

I've made an update to my ISA. My instruction space has been cut to 32 lines in favor of more jump conditions:

[Image: 441d77e6a0.png]

RE: Ugh, why have I taken on so many projects? (New summer schedule) - tokumei - 06-08-2017

Progress update #2. I have no life - I just spent 6 hours again in a single day. PROM and program counter have been completed today, as well as a bit of signal busing. Tomorrow's big task will be the instruction decoder.

There is now a warp if you want to see the build's progress; /warp juno

RE: Ugh, why have I taken on so many projects? (New summer schedule) - tokumei - 06-13-2017

I finished the instruction decoder a few days ago; since then I've also completed the wiring of buses and other signals between the major components. This week I'll be working on the timing, which is a critical part of my pipeline since I'm not putting a latch or buffer between my decode and execute phases. The only thing that hangs the cycle is branching, which is handled by a separate part of the control unit.

RE: Ugh, why have I taken on so many projects? (New summer schedule) - Phase - 06-14-2017

Awesome job! I wish I could be this dedicated...

RE: Ugh, why have I taken on so many projects? (New summer schedule) - LambdaPI - 06-15-2017

Damn you are fast nonemu.

RE: Ugh, why have I taken on so many projects? (New summer schedule) - tokumei - 06-15-2017

I've made a lot of CPUs before that half-worked, so I kinda know what I'm doing. The only issue with them is I never had the motivation to sync the outputs of the instruction decoder. Speaking of which, though it's not perfect, Add Immediate seems to work Big Grin

RE: Ugh, why have I taken on so many projects? (New summer schedule) - LambdaPI - 06-15-2017

Are you going to implement any branch prediction (probably not since it's a 2 stage machine)