Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
IRC bot standards - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: IRC bot standards (/thread-11967.html)

Pages: 1 2

IRC bot standards - qwerasd205 - 03-20-2017

This is a brief thread to read if you're thinking of making an IRC bot.
To get started follow the rules laid out in https://forum.openredstone.org/rules.php -- specifically:
  • Bots:
    • Bots should only speak to the user who would like for it to be spoken to. Be it either a command-based bot or an updater bot that notifies, it should receive the explicit consent of the recipient to receive the message.
    • Bots should only speak in private messages so as to avoid clogging public communication.
Additionally -- and this part is just my opinion -- I think it's better to only respond to commands given in private messages to the bot, as people using commands can get quite spammy in pub chat.

Now the standards:

Help dialog:
  • ALWAYS include a help dialog which can be accessed by messaging the bot "help".
  • Make a forum post containing the help dialog, and make the bot's help command a link to that thread.
  • Give example commands in order for the bot's user to understand what each command does.
Ping command:
  • I strongly recommend a "ping" command as it's very useful to see if the bot is responding, and is pretty standard.
Keeping your box safe:
  • It's more important when running an IRC bot, for your box(computer) to remain safe while running it, than for the IRC bot to have cool commands, so here's a list of common security issues to avoid:
  • Never ever ever use eval() or exec() within your code, if you want a "calc" command then use a library for the language you're writing the bot in that is designed for mathematical expression evaluation.
  • Don't include any commands that could potentially damage your system, even if they're restricted to *only your use*, perfect security on IRC is nearly impossible, and you're bound to eff up somewhere.
  • If you have a command that does any sort of web access make sure to sanitize the user input before passing it, and rate limit the command, you don't want someone able to make calls to a website from your box at will with no rate limit.
  • When sanitizing user input to make it safe for a command NEVER use a blacklist, ALWAYS use a whitelist. With a blacklist you're bound to miss something somewhere and when you do someone will find it and down goes your box.
  • Straight up though, just rate limit like, every command, it makes it so people can't stall your bot by spamming it.
If you have any other things you think I should add to this reply to this thread and I'll consider adding them.

RE: IRC bot standards - Nickster258 - 03-21-2017

Well, the rules for bots will only really be constricted to "Don't let your bot become a nuisance". These are more of recommendations, which should definitely be used. You suggested timeouts for web stuff but a timeout for literally anything would be good so people don't spam your bot (Our IRC setup throttles spammed requests so if you send TONS of requests the bot could get held up, kinda like how varBot was held up when I spammed it) . I always did regex and forced alphanumeric standards on my inputs.

RE: IRC bot standards - Apuly - 03-21-2017

I will now proceed to develop a bot that will break all of these rules

RE: IRC bot standards - Nickster258 - 03-21-2017

Well, these are more of recommendations but yea

RE: IRC bot standards - Apuly - 03-21-2017

Eh close enough

RE: IRC bot standards - jxu - 03-23-2017

jxubot transcends standards

!lottery
!lottery
!lottery
!lottery
!lottery
!lottery

RE: IRC bot standards - Apuly - 03-23-2017

shit you've beaten me by like a couple of years I guess Idunnow

RE: IRC bot standards - slugdude - 03-26-2017

I'm still gonna make a shell bot when I get the chance in the summer holidays.

RE: IRC bot standards - LambdaPI - 03-26-2017

Lets all exploit it Yea slug thats a great idea.

RE: IRC bot standards - Apuly - 03-27-2017

Protip: don't try to auth shit over IRC based on username.
So easy to break it's almost sad.