Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
What happened to real redstone? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: What happened to real redstone? (/thread-1160.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: What happened to real redstone? - EDevil - 10-12-2013

(10-12-2013, 02:32 PM)Xray_Doc Wrote: Or people who use RedPower.

Owww, forgotten about that one. Redpower XD Thats just wrong

RE: What happened to real redstone? - Iceglade - 10-12-2013

Even the nubs aren't that nubby.

RE: What happened to real redstone? - Kernul_Sanders - 12-04-2013

People who can't build with redstone resort to command blocks. Yes, this includes Sethbling.

RE: What happened to real redstone? - Xray_Doc - 12-04-2013

>Implying SethBling knows how to redstone

RE: What happened to real redstone? - Frontrider - 12-05-2013

Sethbling mostly does game mechanics, whitch are technically using redstone, but the main parts aren't redstone.He mostly using clocks to trigger, and repeaters to wire things up, and thats all.The only truly usefull redstone machine made(correct me if im wrong, theres maybe(very maybe) more) by him is a pulser, with good customazation.if they can compare this kind of stuff with a computer...

RE: What happened to real redstone? - qwerasd205 - 12-06-2013

Ice don't feel bad the people who posted those comments are ignorant, some people say ignorance is bliss, I say, "Ignorance is a mental response to where a human ignores certain objects or emotions in their inviroment to cope with things ranging from jealousy to anger", but for them, they're just ignorant ;D

take the first comment "just a monitor" or something like that, NO its not, its a complex networs of thousands of logic gates.

RE: What happened to real redstone? - EDevil - 12-06-2013

(12-06-2013, 05:48 PM)qwerasd205 Wrote: Ice don't feel bad the people who posted those comments are ignorant, some people say ignorance is bliss, I say, "Ignorance is a mental response to where a human ignores certain objects or emotions in their inviroment to cope with things ranging from jealousy to anger", but for them, they're just ignorant ;D

take the first comment "just a monitor" or something like that, NO its not, its a complex networs of thousands of logic gates.

Just a monitor

RE: What happened to real redstone? - AFtExploision - 12-06-2013

(12-06-2013, 08:32 PM)EvilDevil59NL Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 05:48 PM)qwerasd205 Wrote: Ice don't feel bad the people who posted those comments are ignorant, some people say ignorance is bliss, I say, "Ignorance is a mental response to where a human ignores certain objects or emotions in their inviroment to cope with things ranging from jealousy to anger", but for them, they're just ignorant ;D

Just a monitor
Tis just a funny arangement of blawks it cant do nuthn

RE: What happened to real redstone? - Treesin - 12-06-2013

You guys do realize that saying that Sethbling's stuff isn't impressive is the same thing as saying that your stuff isn't impressive, right? Things work both ways :P.

You can't get mad at young children for not understanding binary logic or CPU's. Anything on the subject will not make sense to them, and if it is not explained in clear terms, there is no way for them to understand that it is something more than "a monitor". Just like you will probably not understand something like "I just got a 12.52 single x-cross for the first F2L pair then a WV OLL skip into a T-perm", or be impressed by it, the same thing goes for saying "The computer implemented a sixteen function CLE ALU, two programmable displays, 128 bytes of program memory, and more".

People, especially children, will obviously prefer Sethbling's creations to yours, even yours took more time, or is more complicated, because

a) As I have already said, it is easier to understand what it is and what it does.

b) It is more functional than anything we make - they can download it and play around with it themselves, and he shows specific uses for his creations in contexts that they are familiar with (aka adventure maps). Nobody actually uses a CPU after they build it.

c) Sethbling's creations often have a lot more creativity behind them then ours do. I understand that making CPUs is difficult, and does require creativity, but it is not the same sort of thing. It is creativity within constraints, which is in many ways simpler than without. Building a CPU is essentially the same way every time. Of course, every CPU is very different from every other one, but the formula is still the same. Make an ALU, think up an instruction set, hook up some memory and a control panel, and go. The differences are major, but the end product is similar. There is no formula to Sethbling's creations. Sure they may require less knowledge and thought, but they are almost always completely novel ideas, that will actually be useful, or at least fun. Nobody wants to play with a CPU.

Ignorance is not inexcusable. I would hope people wouldn't criticize a child for looking at a calculus equation and calling it "Just a bunch of random symbols", because they simply should not be expected to understand this sort of math at that age. I would say getting mad at kids for not knowing about the underlying logic of computers, and being able to recognize components as what they are is just as, or even more silly than the calculus example. Not everyone can know everything.

There is no reason for people to expect a child to be able to distinguish one pile of redstone from another, and builds with command blocks are often much smaller, and do a lot of work. And, to be fair, command blocks do enable us to to pretty cool stuff, like wireless redstone. We don't use them, that's fine. Other people do, that's also fine.

Don't be elitists, guys. :P

RE: What happened to real redstone? - EDevil - 12-06-2013

(12-06-2013, 11:14 PM)Treesin Wrote: You guys do realize that saying that Sethbling's stuff isn't impressive is the same thing as saying that your stuff isn't impressive, right? Things work both ways Tongue.

You can't get mad at young children for not understanding binary logic or CPU's. Anything on the subject will not make sense to them, and if it is not explained in clear terms, there is no way for them to understand that it is something more than "a monitor". Just like you will probably not understand something like "I just got a 12.52 single x-cross for the first F2L pair then a WV OLL skip into a T-perm", or be impressed by it, the same thing goes for saying "The computer implemented a sixteen function CLE ALU, two programmable displays, 128 bytes of program memory, and more".

People, especially children, will obviously prefer Sethbling's creations to yours, even yours took more time, or is more complicated, because

a) As I have already said, it is easier to understand what it is and what it does.

b) It is more functional than anything we make - they can download it and play around with it themselves, and he shows specific uses for his creations in contexts that they are familiar with (aka adventure maps). Nobody actually uses a CPU after they build it.

c) Sethbling's creations often have a lot more creativity behind them then ours do. I understand that making CPUs is difficult, and does require creativity, but it is not the same sort of thing. It is creativity within constraints, which is in many ways simpler than without. Building a CPU is essentially the same way every time. Of course, every CPU is very different from every other one, but the formula is still the same. Make an ALU, think up an instruction set, hook up some memory and a control panel, and go. The differences are major, but the end product is similar. There is no formula to Sethbling's creations. Sure they may require less knowledge and thought, but they are almost always completely novel ideas, that will actually be useful, or at least fun. Nobody wants to play with a CPU.

Ignorance is not inexcusable. I would hope people wouldn't criticize a child for looking at a calculus equation and calling it "Just a bunch of random symbols", because they simply should not be expected to understand this sort of math at that age. I would say getting mad at kids for not knowing about the underlying logic of computers, and being able to recognize components as what they are is just as, or even more silly than the calculus example. Not everyone can know everything.

There is no reason for people to expect a child to be able to distinguish one pile of redstone from another, and builds with command blocks are often much smaller, and do a lot of work. And, to be fair, command blocks do enable us to to pretty cool stuff, like wireless redstone. We don't use them, that's fine. Other people do, that's also fine.

Don't be elitists, guys. Tongue

Very honest text you typed there. Problem is, is that you're in your own against 120 ORE-players that dislike Sethbling's fancy commandblock tricks. So it doesnt matter if you're correct or wrong, you're gonna lose it always. So yeah......