Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
1.11 Major redstone changes? - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: 1.11 Major redstone changes? (/thread-11009.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

1.11 Major redstone changes? - Matthew - 09-30-2016

It has been brought to my attention that the 1.11 update snapshot includes a new redstone device known as an "observer" It's an "official" block update detector... it outputs a 1 tick pulse when a block is placed on the input side or when it gets a redstone signal. Oh and one more thing... IT'S INSTANT!!!! (still unknown is how much lag it causes) The Long know and feared "fetch bottleneck" is destroyed with this tech... a kilobyte of ram with these instead of repeaters means your read and writes depending on how fast your cell is could be like 2 ticks......... 2 ticks to address data from a kilo of ram?!?!.... liek holy shit with this multi core and general data dependent parallel circuits might actually be useful. I don't know the details myself, this post is just to make this aware and cause discussion. but guys... this changes everything... JOJO's Video on it

Could instant wire be a normal everyday thing... i guess we'll find out :3

RE: 1.11 Major redstone changes? - LambdaPI - 09-30-2016

OMG SUCH WOW 1x1 PIXEL DISPLAYS WILL BE EVEN SMALLER

RE: 1.11 Major redstone changes? - Matthew - 09-30-2016

(09-30-2016, 05:30 AM)LambdaPI Wrote: OMG SUCH WOW 1x1 PIXEL DISPLAYS WILL BE EVEN SMALLER

LOL

RE: 1.11 Major redstone changes? - Nickster258 - 09-30-2016

... insert "back when redstone was good"
... insert "how bad is this performance wise knowing redstone is already shite"
... insert "I'm kind of interested but scared."

RE: 1.11 Major redstone changes? - LordDecapo - 09-30-2016

Inb4 someone tries to make a near fully instant CPU and fails cause they don't know delay is important.
Idk what I would use this for except maybe bussing to and from RAM, decoders wouldn't work with this, but that's only 1 tick,.. so could speed memory up like op mentioned

RE: 1.11 Major redstone changes? - GISED_Link - 09-30-2016

sounds gr8... nothing else to add.

Hope that the behaviour of this block will stay the same during time and versions...

RE: 1.11 Major redstone changes? - Matthew - 09-30-2016

(09-30-2016, 12:53 PM)LordDecapo Wrote: Inb4 someone tries to make a near fully instant CPU and fails cause they don't know delay is important.
Idk what I would use this for except maybe bussing to and from RAM, decoders wouldn't work with this, but that's only 1 tick,.. so could speed memory up like op mentioned

my thoughts exactly, also you can pull signals through some weird places with it. BTW this can be used as an inverter (as long as you time the input right)

RE: 1.11 Major redstone changes? - LambdaPI - 10-01-2016

I have been experimenting with the observers, and I created a small memory cell.

[Image: SGlSgrj.png]

You might notice the long string of observers. I found that if placed in that way, each one triggers the other and forms an instant chain. In this way, every other block can hold a memory cell, with instant read propagation.

[Image: pOEAaiQ.png]

I have not yet experimented with instant bussing for write, working on that right now. I'll keep you guys updated.

RE: 1.11 Major redstone changes? - LambdaPI - 10-01-2016

Technically with correct timing you should be able to use the same method for write as for read.

RE: 1.11 Major redstone changes? - Chibill - 10-02-2016

Very cool!