Forums - Open Redstone Engineers
A memorial for the RDF - Printable Version

+- Forums - Open Redstone Engineers (https://forum.openredstone.org)
+-- Forum: ORE General (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: Build Discussion (https://forum.openredstone.org/forum-50.html)
+--- Thread: A memorial for the RDF (/thread-1088.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

A memorial for the RDF - qwerasd205 - 10-01-2013

If anyone even cared enough to look you would know that The RDF has been terminated. Please post a nice thing or memory of the server. I know it was competing with ORE but its gone now.

This is my memory:
I remember loving the server and being taught so much about binary logic and the such by newomaster. I loved the community and now its gone. At least ill have ORE.... if i get un-banned.

RE: A memorial for the RDF - Xray_Doc - 10-01-2013

I miss the Meth Lab
-No one

RE: A memorial for the RDF - tokumei - 10-04-2013

(10-01-2013, 04:32 PM)Xray_Doc Wrote: I miss the Meth Lab
-No one

Lol I loved Chemical X before it was banned.

My eulogy:
The first time I had heard of the RDF was from Benny on YouTube. I had since then finished my first computer build, following his tutorial, and was getting into his advanced tutorials. I decided to look up this new community, where people do redstone together, and what I found was not what I had expected. The RDF was a lot quieter than what I had seen in his videos - in fact, on average there were only about 3 people on at a time. However, the members and staff were so nice I decided to stay.

I had a big ambition when I first joined, and finished my first CPU within the first two weeks of membership, and then earned the title of Engineer. I was very proud of my accomplishments, and started liking that place even more.

When I had caught word of ORE, my first thought wasn't so nice. I didn't really like that people had left RDF solely to "compete with us", which was what I thought at the time.

Soon, I became a moderator, and actually kicked my first victim (and almost temp banned) within 1 week of earning the title. I never got another chance to use my permissions, but it was good to know I was contributing.

When we were trying to update our scripts for 1.5, I tried with my first attempt with CommandHelper - which came out as a flop. It had at least 5 bugs, and I had to get another staff member to help me fix some of it. Eventually, I gained more experience, and was about to rewrite an entire package for them, when they died.

The death of the RDF was so quiet, so sudden; I was so disappointed that my home had been destroyed. I got over it within the first two days, and joined the ORE server for the second time since I had heard of it. What I saw was disappointing - several of the members were proclaiming "victory over the RDF". It angered me to see them act like that, and it pushed me to the point where I almost received a ban. Since then, it has been quiet, and here I am now, writing this, to pay my respects.

RE: A memorial for the RDF - redstonewarrior - 10-04-2013

A few weeks before you rejoined the RDF, most of the admin staff (and, along with them, most members) walked out to form ORE, due to rather serious problems that the admins and the host couldn't get by. We didn't make ORE to compete with the RDF, we made ORE because, even as the majority of the administrators of the RDF, we could not deal with the hosting problems. We left to rebuild, as the RDF's hosting was going to crap, pushing the community to other servers (that was the scary part.) After we left, the few remaining admins tried to run the place, but ultimately dropped back to inactivity. Any celebration on that day was more out of respect for what the RDF used to be, before disconnect.spam, over a week of downtime, months in between updates, complete inability to get server logs / backups, and various other pestilences choked the members off the server. The hollow shell that remained when we left to remake the RDF was nothing compared to what it once was, and stayed floating largely by the spite of the remaining inactive admins. When they finally quit, and let the RDF die, we were happy. I'm unsure if some ORE-original members took this as a competition, but staff, for the most part, was fairly neutral about that point and treated it as the above situation. (We carried over a few tempbans for RDF griefing, on more than one occasion.)

Why most do not mourn:
(09-30-2013, 08:52 PM)Guy1234567890 Wrote: ^that's because we are the same people who were on the RDF Tongue

There was never any selfish competition, merely some admins sick of the same old shit from a host. (Ended up taking shape like the UTD -> RDF branch, except was more of a migration than a new server. At the beginning, anyways. You returned after this all happened, and found the RDF quite empty, after the move.)
That's my scoop, and I do not mourn. One of the most active RDF administrators for nearly two years, I do not mourn. A name is a name is a name, and by any other name this community is still just as sweet.
<3 RDF/ORE Redstoners

RE: A memorial for the RDF - Chibill - 10-04-2013

I found the rdf when watching YouTube videos about a 4 bit computer. And I still am lucky I did not get banned within my first week when I crashed the server 5 times in a row in on day.

And also I found or when Red was first working on it and himehowareu heard from red.

Also me and hime are working on our own game server with nail and stuff plus our own surivial and build server for our own friends at school who and not so redstone crazy.

RE: A memorial for the RDF - shadekiller666 - 10-10-2013

I first heard of the RDF by watching Shrogg's videos (a little before i found Benny's Youtube channel) and I had just gotten into building redstone calculators. I was also looking for a fun creative server that didn't cost money to build on. What I found on the RDF server was a community of super awesome and nice people willing to help expand the redstone knowledge of anyone who asked for it. For quite a while everything was going great, the admins were active, updates came quickly after the client updates were released, and no one ever thought that it would end. The last few months were a different story. Chat started getting messed up, World Edit became more buggy than usual, chat was emptier than ever, and it was very difficult to find an admin to fix any griefs or mishaps. I started to worry that the server and the community I loved so much were going to disappear. Then Red told me about a new server that the admins had started up. I went and checked it out and found how many more things I could do on this new server with World Edit and how the plugins were made and I didn't want to go back. Now I'm having a blast on the ORE server, excited for 1.7, and being so happy that this community won't be going anywhere for a long while. It is sad that the server that introduced me to this community is now gone, but I have no regrets of leaving. Smile

RE: A memorial for the RDF - Malcolmforde - 10-16-2013

Heh, I found the RDF by clicking on Props line drawer, which was a related video of the Redgame.

And, ohmygosh, I love the MelonCave.

I still didn't get to explorer the whole thing.

RE: A memorial for the RDF - Xray_Doc - 10-16-2013

~RIP in peace Beardland~
~2012-2013~

RE: A memorial for the RDF - Guy1234567890 - 10-16-2013

Yeah I found the RDF through shrogg XD

RE: A memorial for the RDF - Xeomorpher - 10-16-2013

Shrogg. xD